Book In Advance
Tours from Mindo Cloud Forest Day Tours tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Mindo Cloud Forest Day Tours
from $125.00
More Info
All reviews flora and fauna day trip his enthusiasm chocolate factory cloud forest great guide cable car moderate hike sharing information booked a private tour zip lining butterfly farm beautiful waterfall bird sanctuary humming birds quick trip delicious lunch
Reviewed October 4, 2018

So glad that we found Richard’s details on a previous Tripadvisor report. This was our first trip to Ecuador and, whilst not “birders” we wanted to see some of the amazing bird life in the cloud forest. We were not disappointed! Richard picked us up from the hotel on time and gave us a superb day out. He was knowledgeable, friendly and interesting to talk to and we learnt a lot about the country and its flora and fauna. After a short stop at a caldera just outside of Quito, we were taken on a gentle hike through a beautiful forest with waterfalls and humming birds, The highlight of the day was a visit to Quinde Luna, where we saw literally hundreds of humming birds close up. We were fortunate enough to be the only tourists there, so had the place to ourselves! We made several other stops including the butterfly farm in Mindo, where they served a lovely lunch, and also took a quick ride on the “gondola” which whisks you across a steep valley. It was truly a memorable day out.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

My husband and I recently spent a day with Richard in the Cloud Forest outside Quito. It was an amazing day! We booked a "Mindo Full Day Hiking and Birds" tour. Richard picked us up at our hotel in Quito promptly at 7:15 a.m., and we were on our way to the cloud forest. Leading us through the "orchid reserve", which was an area of wild and native orchids, Richard highlighted so many fascinating bits of native flora. As we are in our 60's and late 70's, he was very patient with our slower pace on the moderate hike to the spectacular waterfall. After a delicious lunch we were treated to an amazing hummingbird reserve. We were the only people there, with hundreds of exotic hummingbirds. Richard gave me all the time I wanted to photograph these incredible birds! We appreciated Richard's professionalism and passion for his work. He is quite knowledgable about Ecuador's natural resources, and we highly recommend his tour!

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Women, Ecuadorians, and foreigners: Beware of Richard Hernandez of mindocloudforest.com and his sexist and xenophobic comments. We did his “Classic Mindo Full Day Tour” yesterday and requested it in English, yet Richard repeatedly spoke Spanish and used it to denigrate me to my companion, David:
He told David he didn’t like or trust me. He said he’d studied the facial features of serial killers and questioned the shape of my mouth.
He spoke repeatedly of keeping information about Ecuador from “The Illuminati” and big corporations and suggested I might be trying to steal information about the region (I am a college instructor and editor).
He asked D, “You guys are a couple? Why?” He said I was “demasiado astuta,” implying women who are too smart are undesirable, and shared that he doesn’t find me attractive, asking D, “Why would you be with her, because of the money? You should look for love instead of money.” [I am not wealthy, but I am white and N. American, so assumptions were made]. He said D should play the field because he can do a lot better than me.
Earlier, we had trouble locking our Airbnb door, but we were outside to meet Richard by 7:17. He said he almost left because we were 2 minutes late and being late is rude.
Before the tour, I kept Richard informed as my plans changed from going solo to bringing D to maybe asking on an expat (foreigner living abroad) site if someone wanted to join a tour in English, to make it cheaper for us. Ultimately we decided on just us, so I emailed Richard that there would be 2 and gave our names. He misunderstood, thought we’d be 2 expats, and told us he almost drove away when he saw D was Ecuadorian.
I never said D was an expat, but Richard couldn’t admit there was a simple misunderstanding on his part. When I politely tried to clear it up, he shut me down repeatedly, saying “NO! I have no interest in hearing your lies!” He told us repeatedly we were difficult clients and called me rude, crazy, and a liar. If D’s country of origin was so important, “for safety reasons,” Richard should have asked instead of assuming. He later mentioned he doesn’t give tours to Ecuadorians.
We just wanted to spend a nice day seeing some birds and butterflies and hearing about the natural beauty of Ecuador! Richard is knowledgeable, but surely there are equally knowledgeable guides who won’t spend the day insulting you--look for one of those!
Both David and I stand by this description of the events. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about what happened to us.

7  Thank seejay54
Reviewed July 28, 2018

Booked a tour with Richard Hernandez. He was the best guide we had during our vacation in Quito. I was hesitant to book a tour with a unknown entity, but am glad I did. I also booked two tours via viator, and the quality of guide and overall experience was far less of a value. He is a certified guide, trained naturalist, and very knowledgeable. He has a website which you can google. On it you can see different options for tours. In the end, on the day of the tour we made modifications on what we did and he easily accommodated where possible. We did the mindo cloud forest tour to a waterfall. Its a good 30-45 minute hike up and would be difficult for those who have difficulty climbing multiple flights of stairs. Along the way we stopped to talk about plants including multiple orchids and animals (and take pictures). Next, we went ziplining which was an adrenaline rush, but not great if your goal is to see the forests. This was followed by a chocolate factory (Yumbos) tour. We then went to lunch at a local restaurant (El Cheff Mindo) which was very good, though I got the impression the lunch venue varies based on client tastes and location. He uses all local businesses to support the local economies. It was very easy to communicate with him ahead of time. He was on time for pickup the morning of the tour at our hotel.

1  Thank kyle3456
Reviewed July 16, 2018

We were a group of 4 that Richard took for a day tour from Quito to Mindo. We really appreciated Richard's knowledge as a naturalist, and his eco-friendly approach. It really sets him above just a regular guide. And his stories and humor were fun and interesting as well. He was very flexible and successful in meeting the very diverse interests of our group. We would highly recommend contacting Richard if you are looking for a naturalist and guide for your tour to Mindo.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

We just spent the day with Richard doing a hiking and birding day in the Mindo Cloud Forest and we cannot recommend this highly enough. I called Richard very last-minute and he was graciously able to fit us in and accompanied us for the day. We were so lucky! Richard is very knowledgeable about the forest and also very passionate about conservation and eco-tourism. He knows where excellent private reserves are in the forest and took us to three spots where we saw an amazing array of hummingbirds, toucans and tanagers. We also enjoyed a beautiful hike into a huge waterfall where we saw many orchids, bromeliads and lilies. Richard is so friendly, open and warm and we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with him throughout the day. I couldn't imagine coming to the Mindo cloud forest with anyone else, and we're already planning how we can get back to do more exploring here. Definitely visit the Mindo cloud forest when you're in Quito.

Reviewed June 8, 2018

Richard did an excellent job of guiding the tour through Mindo Cloud Forest sharing information on flora and fauna every step of the way. His enthusiasm, knowledge and friendliness made the trip a joy. While we don’t often do tours, we’re glad we took this one. It was worth it. Because we can’t walk long distance or over difficult terrain, we wanted the classic tour with short and easy walks. He set up just what we needed. He made a good package that fit our interests, abilities and the weather conditions.

HernandezRichard, Propietario at Mindo Cloud Forest Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your visit to Mindo Cloud Forest.

Reviewed May 16, 2018

We booked an adventure tour with Richard Hernandez. This could not have been a more perfect day! Richard promptly picked us up at 6:45 am at our place in Quito, he informed us we had about a 2 hour drive to the Mindo Cloud Forrest. As we drove, Richard spoke to us about Ecuador's history, ecosystem and politics as well as his life experiences. It was very interesting and he speaks very good English. We made a quick stop to grab a breakfast sandwich and then arrived at our Canopy Tour (zip line) destinantion. We completed 10 exhilarating ziplines, amazing views and thrilling rides, from there Richard drove us to meet another guide, Peter and we hiked a beautiful path through the forest to the top of 3 cascading waterfalls. A bonus is we saw 2 Tucans on our walk and crossed a suspension bridge over the river. After some brief instruction, We began canyoning (rappelling) down the waterfalls. This was a truly awesome experience and Peter & Richard took great pictures for us. After we finished, we hiked out of the forest and Richard drove us to our third adventure of the day, a white water tubing trip!!!! The water was cold, but refreshing after a long hike through the jungle. Richard's friend actually shot video of this for us too. When we finished, Richard took us to a beautiful lodge and showed us changing rooms we could use, when we were all dry, we met him in the dinning room where he arranged a great lunch, grilled chicken, vegetables & potatoes. On our way home, Richard made sure to take us to the Mitad Del Mundo for pictures. This was a day I will never forget!

4  Thank bechtolbill

Your visit to Mindo cloud forest was very much appreciated. Thank you very much !

Reviewed May 12, 2018

Carla from CarpeDiem tours was great & I would recommend her highly. She was our guide for me & Jacqui that was on my GAdventures Galapagos tour. She is friends with a couple that built a treehouse on their property & asked our driver to stop there so we could see it. The couple was very nice & allowed us to check it out. We had limited time so Carla recommended that we go to the waterfalls but just see 1 of them, not all 7. The tram that takes you across was backed up due to Ecuador having it's annual holiday, May 1st. Carla found out that we could walk there rather than wait for up to an hour for the tram. The walk was muddy & slick in several spots but she helped me down (I'm a little over 60 & not as sure of myself). When we walked uphill she was patient & waited while I caught my breath. We were able to take the tram back to the entrance. It was kind of like ziplining but in a little tram. Very cool. Next was the butterfly & hummingbird tour. It was small but had a lot of beautiful butterflies as well as plants. It started to rain not too long after we got there so we only saw 1 hummingbird. Then we went to the chocolate factory. We got to taste & see the chocolates that were made there, the cacao trees, etc. Carla kindly got a chocolate brownie with a candle in it to celebrate my birthday. That was unexpected. It's a nice day trip.

Reviewed May 6, 2018

We booked this private tour the day before. Our hotel offered a tour to Mindo, but we wanted more control over the itinerary and didn't want to potentially be stuck in a large group. Plus, we wanted to do more than just drive by and see things. Richard is a certified naturalist and speaks English and Spanish. Since we didn't really plan on this trip in advance, we had several questions for Richard prior to finally deciding to book the tour. Richard always responded quickly to our emails and provided us with all needed information about the tour. He arrived at our hotel right on time, and demonstrated his extensive knowledge of Ecuador's flora and fauna immediately. We learned so much while visiting an orchid preserve, a hummingbird paradise, and a butterfly farm. We also opted to include the cable car ride, which was brief and fun. We wrapped up our day with lunch in Mindo town at a local establishment. Though Richard offered to take us to the Inty Nan museum (the equator museum), we opted to pass on that option. Richard checked in with us regularly and asked us what we were enjoying more/ less etc and based on our answers he told us about Antisana. Although it was not his intention, and not very convenient for him on such short notice, we were so intrigued by Antisana that we asked him if he could take us out to Antisana the next day. Richard made some arrangements to take us to Antisana the following day. We spent two great days with Richard seeing two very different parts of the Ecuadorian ecosystem. He sincerely strives to provide a quality experience for his clients. If you are looking for an experienced, reliable guide who will help you learn about and fully appreciate the natural beauty of Ecuador, from birds, and butterfly's to plants and frogs, we highly recommend both the Mindo forest and Antisana ecological reserve with Richard Herdandez.

1  Thank Heather F