“A great stay at Rubby Hostel”
Review of Rubby Hostal

and 1 more site!
Rubby Hostal
Ranked #12 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Mindo
Melbourne, Australia
“A great stay at Rubby Hostel”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked with Norma before Christmas to stay at the hostel. Very quick, informative response through e-mail. So first impression's were good.

We arrived on the 28th Dec and were going to book out on the 2nd but decided to stay another night. Norma is a fabulous host. Incredibly informative about the area. We were going to book a bird guide down the road but Norma said she will arrange it. We left it in her hands and we were very pleased. We ended up booking 2 mornings. One, of a walk up toward the forest in town. We saw around 70 species in 4 hours. The next morning we went off for a drive to view the Cock-on-the-rock and the birds in and around that area. Our guide, Danny, was super professional. A little shy at the start but once he starts ya can't stop him. Superior knowledge of birds, identifying them and their calls.

The price for the room is very very reasonable and we were surprised that it comes with a hearty breakfast (fresh juices, hot drink, eggs and rolls!) and private bathroom. Norma will get up and have breakfast ready for you if you're getting up early (we had brekkie at 4.30am on the Cock-on-the-rock morning!).

Norma just moved in two months ago, lovely big kitchen to cook in, we were even invited to New Year's Day lunch with the family, yum! Very fast wifi, we could watch movies on the 1st January, hungover day). I can't recommend this place enough.

The hostel is around 7-mins out of town. Perfect for a good, quiet nights sleep, relaxing in the hammock on the balcony looking across the mountains and just 5-7 mins walking distance for a few drinks in town if need be. Walk up the main street (away from the direction you come in from the highway), keep going after the paved road ends and it is another block, on your left.

Room Tip: There are some quality birds around the Rubby Hostel so to ease you into Birding Mindo then get a ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We met the owner on a bus to Mindo and she invited us to stay in the private rooms. The four of us loved it - the Wifi is great, super close to the main road and attractions. Norma, the owner was exceptionally helpful arranging local transport and with accommodation. We left after one night and ended up returning from 40 kms away because the hospitality was so good.

I strongly suggest EVERYONE stay here - it is a bit dark at night to get to and looks far away, however in the morning it is beautiful and the views are great.

Definitely worth checking out - breakfast was also delcisious

Room Tip: A room on the top floor of the new section has great views
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Marseille, France
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Norma, the owner of the place is very friendly and helpfull. She would prepare my breakfast at any time, even very very early so that I can get ready at the best moment for birdwatching. And what a breakfast ! No need for lunch after that : hot drink, fruit juice (homemade and different every day), cakes, jam, butter, omelet, fruits, etc.
The room was great too : a balcony with a hamoc and a wonderfull view on nature, with pasture, forest and misty green hills, and course plenty of birds, even a few species that I didn't see in any other place during my trip in Ecuador ! Room and bed very confortable (the climate of Mindo is the best I've ever experienced I think) . Bathroom with 24 hours hot water (which is not the case in some more pricey places in Quito !).
Location is great too : extremely quiet but only 5 minutes walk from the center of Mindo.
Excellent value (and quite cheap !).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am going to preface my comments by stating that this is the cheapest hostal in town. US$10.00 per night (less if you stay more than a few days) that includes breakfast. If you want some fancy lodge or hotel, there are plenty available in the area starting at US$150 pppn. Don’t come to Rubby and expect the same amenities at these prices. People mostly come here to bird, if you are planning on sleeping in, this probably isn't the place for you - people sleep early and get up early!

It is well known birding hostal, I stayed for 5 nights while I birded the Mindo valley. Norma serves breakfasts at whatever time required as well as providing a much needed laundry service. It is located around 500m from the town centre, close enough for amenities, but not too close to hear the late evening noise. The hostal is well known to all guides and tour companies who will collect on site and also bring their other clients for early breakfasts.

Very large rooms (3 beds) with more than enough space for me and my pile of gear. There are no en-suite rooms. Electrically heated shower which has good pressure by comparison to the many others I have used around South America. The house is made of wood, so it makes some noise when you move about roughly. Perhaps the only negative is a lack of WiFi. There is plenty of WiFi available in the town, but it is rather slow.

The included breakfast is excellent - bread rolls, eggs, freshly squeezed juice & coffee. Coffee, fruit and mineral water is available whenever you fancy. Norma will get up and sort out breakfast no matter what time of morning you are planning on departing. I was generally up and having breakfast around 04:30. So far as I could tell, this was the only place in town that catered for birders in this way with people from other hotels and hostals visiting for breakfast too.

There is a large garden area where you can securely park vehicles. Hammocks on the first balcony for an afternoon snooze. Norma herself speaks fluent English and obviously knows all the birding information that you might require including the best guides in town (ie: Marchelo who is also fluent in English as well as being a top notch guide). Norma handled all my arrangements from booking guides to confirming access to multiple reserves which negated my need to find public telephones and butcher the Spanish language any more that I already do. (I hardly ever use a guide when birding, but the low prices charged by Marchelo made it more than worthwhile).

An excellent place to base yourself while in Mindo. If you are a serious birder who has no need for a luxury bed and a hummingbird garden at arms reach, then this hostal will more than serve your needs. Clean, very accommodating and equally light on the pocket!

PS: This review is obviously of the current location. Norma is soon to relocate to another property that I understand will have an excellent bird garden with feeders, cabanas etc. Perhaps call in advance to check details and location. [+593 9 193 1853 or email rubbyhostal@yahoo.com]

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same, the loft looked interesting but has a steep staircase.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The owner of Rubby, Norma, was very welcoming to us as we walked the street looking for a room. She gave us maps, told us what was going on in the town that weekend and spoke perfect English to my boyfriend who doesnt speak Spanish. The room was an average size with a single and double bed. It was clean but smelt very musty, probably because of all the rain and damp in Mindo. The pillows were rock hard and lumpy and I went without because they were so uncomfortable. The bathroom mostly did not have toilet paper in it, it was always wet and there was hair in the bath and sink. We were told there was hot water but only ever managed to get cold showers. Ironically we did manage a lukewarm shower on the morning we left!

After the first night we wanted to move hostels but were told by Norma that she had already deposited our money in the bank and only had the change for two nights. I don't believe it can be so hard to take money from the ATM, I also think if you are a hostel owner then you should have a few dollars spare for change for your guests. This lie soured the stay for me and my boyfriend.

The other considerable problem was the noise. She asks for strict quiet at night but from 6am her children were running around the house outside our window and door making so much noise we could not sleep. The whole house is wooden so it makes the noise travel very easily.

On our last night the lock on our door broke so we couldn't get in to the room and she wanted my boyfriend to climb into the window from the outside to open the door but the ladder was only half way tall enough! Eventually she got an ecuadorian friend to climb in.

Finally, when we asked about the wifi she said there had been a storm a few days ago and it was not working. However, there was no router or Internet/wireless paraphernalia anywhere in the house so I think this was another lie.

The breakfast was good and Norma is a nice lady generally. If you are on a budget and don't care about sleeping in the morning then it is an ok option but I don't like feeling like im being lied to and the whole experience was negative for me.

• Stayed May 2013
norma c, Owner at Rubby Hostal, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
for me was nice to having you in my house, i am surpricing because you only had smiles and thanks for me, why you do not asking me for help or complains. Anyway I always put los of atention in what my customers need or how they feel . this is good service We are triing everyday take care with cleanest and confort, was better for you and the hostal you ask for help.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The owner of the hostal (Norma) was really lovely and made us feel very welcome in her home. We visited during Mindo's rainy season but found our days easily occupied thanks to Norma's helpful suggestions (and hammocks). Highly recommend the bird watching tour with Norma's ex-husband, Marcelo. He is incredibly knowledgeable on the local species and clearly passionate about birds. The central location of the hostal, just a couple of blocks from the main street, makes for an easy stroll around the town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mindo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have just left a beautiful weekend in Mindo. The weather didn't always hold out for us but I felt very welcome in Rubby Hostal. Norma, the owner is a wonderful motherly figure. She looks after the hostal on her own with her 3 children scurrying about the place. The hostal is clean, and well looked after. There are places to relax and socialise. It's pretty quiet and only 5 minutes walk from everything you need.

There's an electric shower, breakfast, towels, shampoo, laundry, garage all available, with Wi-Fi coming soon. There's private rooms or dorms on offer and Norma has lots of suggestions of things to do in the area.

The Norma showed me the location of the new hostal which is being built and it will be moving there around March 2013. This views from here are stunning, so watch this space!

Room Tip: The attic dorm is the most beautiful with the hammocks, though it's loudest in the rain due to t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo