“Yes this is a birdwatcher paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mindo
Hacienda San Vicente
Ranked #5 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Yes this is a birdwatcher paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the yellow house (upstairs) in February of this year. The accommodations are comfortable and clean, but basic. If you want luxury this is not the place for you. This "house" is a assembly of various units built on a farm. As the previous reviewer have stated it is a beautiful short walk into town to various restaurants and the bus. The "house" has its own trail through cow pastures up into the cloud forest. My husband and I are causal bird watches and we saw mot-mot's, a quetzal, and bunches of parrots. Along the trails were hundreds of orchids and bromeliaceae....in other words wonderful hiking. Breakfast is served in the deck of the main house where we gathered with other guest to enjoy homegrown eggs, fruit, juice and even coffee grown on the farm. The main house has bird feeds where swarms of humming birds and even toucans came to feed. Some sort of lizard research is being conducted on the property and it was interesting to watch the biologist and photographers. The other guest were lots of fun and I would not have missed staying here for anything.

Room Tip: When we were shown the cabin we had reserved I found it too musty. Cloud forests are humid and mold...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Hacienda San Vicente (Yellow House) is an ideal place
to stay in Mindo, especially if you are a keen bird-watcher.
It is located on the outskirts of Mindo, just 5-10 minute
walk from the restaurants and shops in the centre of
the village. And yet, it is surrounded by luxuriant cloud
forest for which Mindo is justly famous. The birdlife is
spectacular and the accommodation is well set-out for
enjoying it. We had a double room upstairs in one of the
side cottages, with a veranda with wonderful views of
the valleys below and the mountains all around.

The ladies who run the Hacienda are some of the most
welcoming hosts we’ve encountered throughout our
travels in Ecuador, and that is saying something! Eager
to please and always with a smile. They enjoy the wildlife
themselves as much as showing it off to their guests. The
main building where breakfast is served has hummingbird
feeders and bird tables at several locations, attracting
a wide variety of birds throughout the day.

The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious.
Excellent bathroom and shower.

We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: The upstair rooms have the best views
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

As Maria is also my name, we had a laugh at all the women involved with the Yellow House named 'Maria'. They were all very kind. As mentioned, Christina who answers emails does not live on site. Between the sisters, they have some english and things get across. My limited spanish helped.
It was hard not to let the Mindo weather mar my review. I was there 4 days and it rained most of the time, but in reality, I only used Yellow House as a home base. I had hired a local guide (associated with the House) Julia Patino - in fact she gave me this suggestion with several others, when I asked her for lodging recommendations. We were out from 5am until mid afternoon or near dark birding the local reserves, so I didn't utilize the trails or gardens as much as one might. Also the rain put a damper on things. I had the Camito Cabina which seems to be linked to the old Chicken House. I was told there was a kitchen - which there is - but not attached to the sleeping quarters. The bed and bath is up some steep stairs. The bath is down 3 steep stairs so the accommodation would not be for everyone. There is an external porch with hammocks, but the chairs are just dining chairs set outside. The bed and room were clean and comfortable enough but everything was musty smelling. Not moldy - or my allergies would kick in - but smelly. All was dry and warm, however, despite the weather. In warmer weather, there are screens on all windows and the place is quiet, so it could air out. I had reliable and consistent hot shower water, whilst other said it was hit and miss. The kitchen, however, was down the stairs in a separate building - the old chicken house, perhaps? Though all needs were there, it was somewhat stark and utilitarian. Perhaps the blue white paint could have been switched to something warmer. Their advertised 'laundry' is a cold water tub with scrub board. Not what I expected.
There are chickens on site, and the Maria's produce jams from their garden fruits so there are the occasional interesting odors wafting through the windows.
Due to the weather, distance and my long days, I did not venture into Mindo itself, but others were using the hostel section of the property and there was often coming and goings down the drive.
They rent out rubber boots which was useful for my birding forays. The grounds have a large number of birds. One is welcome to also use their porch for hummingbird views and internet. As a tip, if the house is locked, the wifi works on the front porch - just be sure to pet the dogs and close the gates.
As I mentioned, the weather marred my impression of Mindo, and thus the Yellow House, but I have and will recommend to others. The price is very reasonable, the rooms clean and the Marias, very kind.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Quiltingmamma
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Yellow House is good value and is especially nice for birders. The gardens attract a wide assortment of birds, the hummingbird feeders off the main deck draw in many species, and you also have the opportunity to trade stories with other birders, which can be invaluable for making plans within Ecuador. The location is away from the town square and is very quiet, and there is a trail system within the property that you can follow to find more birds. Excellent! We had a room with private bath for $23 per person per night, including breakfast and taxes. The bed was comfortable, the hot water in the shower was variable. Breakfast is a beautiful affair, with fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, and bread, and if you are leaving early for birding, there will be a takeaway breakfast left for you in the frig, which is very accommodating. Be aware that the person with whom you are communicating by email and who writes excellent English is not on the premises, she is a sister of those who run the House. This was not a problem, just a surprise. The one caveat is to make certain of the dates of your reservation! Also, ask for a room in the main house. Tour groups with guides get priority and you might find yourself being nudged out or into a cottage far far away (actually off the grounds) which is not convenient for socializing and WIFI. That said, the staff is very helpful and we would definitely recommend the hotel.

Heidelberg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

The real "yellow house" might be a nice place (although it's about 300 meters away from the street and during the night just a dark trail leads towards it) but we stayed at the street in a kind of bungalow. The place had an awful smell, the bathroom was not really clean and the room was very old-fashioned. If you see the pictures of nice bedrooms and just get a room in the "bungalow" it is a big disappointment. Breakfast was ok but it took them very long to bring it (at ever morning we were there). I just would recommend this place for people being 50+ and love birdwatching (for they have nice trails). I would not come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the yellow house. Do NOT stay in the bungalows at the street.
Sierra Nevada CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Yellow House (Hacienda San Vicente) is a fantastic getaway in Ecuador. Famous for its hummingbirds- I also got shots of numerous other birds and a spectacled bear high up on the bird trails. I slept beautifully to the sound of running water and frogs. Then a fantastic breakfast awaits. The family was so kind - letting me check in on my email regularly and use their porch with the hummingbird feeders for photography. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Assens, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We came to Mindo to see some birds and to relax. We stayed in the "Yellow House" for a week and could easely have stayed for longer. We were spoiled by the very freindly sisters and there mother. A big fine room with a balcony and a good bathroom. On the balcony we enjoyed the hammock. The free cloudforresttrails were fine and some orher guests observed a puma one night. Breakfast were more than fine and value for money. The place is situated a short walk from the city. Thats fine. They feed the hummingbirds so you are sure to see a lot of them.
We can absolutely recommend the place.

Room Tip: ask for the "masterbedroom" in the yellow house
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple