“driven by money...”

Paz de las Aves Bird Refuge
Ranked #3 of 28 things to do in Mindo
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked this activity with the owner days in advance, leaving my mobile and landline numbers in case he needed to get in touch with me. The day of the trip, his son came to our hotel to pick us up, in spite of POURING RAIN. I asked if it was still a good idea for us to go, given the terrible weather conditions, and the fact that we had two elderly persons in our party. The son said, yes, everything would be OK.

We arrived at the reserve at the crack of dawn, still pouring.. I asked Mr. Paz if it still was a good idea to try go down the mountain, he said YES, we would see all the birds...

We wondered around the mountain for four hours, falling every five minutes in the mud, we saw absolutely no bird, he charged for the full amount (around $300 for four people), and when all the ordeal was thankfully over, he said WE SHOULD NOT COME AGAIN FROM JANUARY TO APRIL SINCE IT RAINS, AND WHEN IT RAINS, THERE ARE NO BIRDS TO SEE... This was really shocking..

Not as shocking as Mr Paz trying to guilt my mother into buying overpriced handcrafts of terrible quality as we were getting in the car to finally leave the place...

I am ashamed than a fellow Ecuadorian does this to tourist... NO WORDS...

4  Thank phermi
There are newer reviews for Paz de las Aves Bird Refuge

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We loved this experience. It was a bit pricey but we got to go places that most tourists don't go. We got good views of the cock of the rock, antpittas, oscellated tapaculo and others, plus stunning (short) hikes across the fields on the Paz farm. Breakfast/lunch from Mrs. Paz was fantastic, and we were made to feel a bit like family. Wear boots, bring water and a snack if you are doing the early morning Cock of the Rock lek, cuz it will be a few hours before the breakfast. My camera couldn't capture the Cock of the Rock in darkness, so I downloaded a photo to add to my album! I loved the story of how Angel and Rodrigo Paz transitioned from farmers and hunters to nature preservationists who are now helping to advance awareness of this marvelous and unique ecosystem, while they are earning a living. Have a bit of patience, enjoy your brief time in this great spot and share a smile with the Paz family.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Arriving at this sight before dawn, we made our way down, down into the canyon along a muddy and slippery trail following our wise leader, Dusan. Using sticks to keep our feet from sliding out from beneath us we heard the moustached Antpitta, Giant Antpitta, and many more birds identified by call by Dusan. As light of day arrived we hurried to a viewing stand where 2 very bright and red-cock-of-the rock males were seen displaying right below us. After many minutes of viewing and picture taking we reversed ourselves and began climbing back up. The next highlight and unexpected surprise happened when Angel halted us quite quickly and pointed out a venomous snake in the path. A Palm Eyelash Pit Viper that was enjoying a bit of sun quickly coiled ready to strike out at an unaware hiker. A beautiful creature, but not to take lightly. Continuing on up, we were treated to a family of Dark-backed Wood-Quail, Toucan Barbet, and many Tanagers. The finale was a visit with an Ochre-breasted Antpitta. The morning concluded with a wonderful typical Ecuadorian breakfast furnished by the Paz family. Simply put, I loved this adventure.

1  Thank Irene R
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our trip to the Rain Forest at the PAZ brother's Reserve was wonderful. They actually "called the birds up' from years of preserving & protecting many species of these beautiful birds, while we took pictures up close and personal. Absolutely amazing! Another birding guide was on the trip as a paying guest and had just said a "certain type of Antipittas was extremely rare and almost never seen", then 5 mins. later Mr. Paz called a family of three of these Antipittas up to feed right there on the trail after whistling for them. LOL Great trip and then a wonderful local style breakfast by Mrs. Paz after the hike. I bought a local bird book created by William Patino, a local bird & tour guide and checked off the birds in his book (Birds of Mindo) with dates and places we viewed the birds. A great help in identifying all the species we saw over a 12 day period hiking this area.

1  Thank Naturelover0424
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is an amazing place to see bird rarities, such as the Antpittas, Cock of the Rock, Cloud Forest Pygmy Owl, and Ocellated Tapaculo. I was part of a Mindo Bird Tour. The birds are lovingly tended by the Paz family, who are performing a wonderful service in preserving this land and these birds. Many of the Antpittas come when called, and all have names-- Willie, Jose, and Shakira, who has some great moves. Highly recommended-- don't miss this place while you are in NW Ecuador.

1  Thank LadyJanePottle