“Refugio Paz de las Aves - Awesome birds!”

Paz de las Aves Bird Refuge
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Mindo
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Lekking Andean Cock-of-the-Rocks! They have some secretive birds trained to come out in view for a reward of worms, including Giant Antpitta and Ochre-breasted Antpitta. Nearby, also Ocellated Tapaculo. Must go!!

1  Thank arleeniebird
"ecuadorian breakfast"
in 10 reviews
"empanadas"
in 7 reviews
"andean cock of the rock"
in 11 reviews
"local cuisine"
"wonderful hosts"
"fruit feeders"

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Angel Paz and his family started their occupancy of this farm in the typical tradition of hunting birds on their land. Now groups of birders come to watch the rare birds they attract by feeding. A typical visit begins with a trip to a lek, where the odd-looking male Andean Cock of the Rocks attempt to attract females. Then you go and they feed antpittas and other birds. We were very fortunate and saw four species of antpittas the day I was there. Afterwards, you enjoy a typical Ecuadorian breakfast, enjoy the hummingbird feeders and explore other parts of the property -- but only with a guide! This is an incredible place, Angel and his brother Rodolfo are incredible people, and they are living proof that ecotourism can be a desirable alternative. You should be able to book this trip through local lodges and hotels.

5  Thank Shelmert
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I went here with Sandra (a local tour agent/birdwatcher guide) in October 2011. There was only me, Sandra, the owner Angel and another birdwatcher from California so it was tremendously intimate and special.

The refuge is amazing. I think we spent about 45 minutes watching the Cock of the Rock lek and then another few hours looking at birds, hummingbirds and having breakfast. I am not really a birdwatcher (this was the first time for me), but it was really an experience everyone should try. Angel and his family take good care of the trails and you can tell they love the refuge very much. It is crazy how they have built relationships with the birds and I really felt that they love what they do. I would recommend the refuge to anyone (birdwatcher or not!). I would definitely go with a guide like Sandra especially since Angel doesn't speak much English.

The breakfast we had was so amazing too. We had these delicious plantain balls and empanadas.

The lek and the birds are all very special. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Maria (a bird who is apparently very, very, very famous), but I did get to meet her boyfriend.

You can find out more at the website: http://www.refugiopazdelasaves.com/index.html

4  Thank agfallenangel
Reviewed January 11, 2011

If you are a birder, or even if you aren't, you shouldn't miss the experience of watching Angel Paz call and feed deep forest birds so rare that many birders have never even seen them. Save yourself $100 and call (or have your hotel clerk in Mindo call) to arrange your visit directly with Angel Paz--and then tip him well. He (and his family) picked me up at Hacienda San Vicente (of the Yellow House Trails) and guided me himself, fed me breakfast, and returned me to my lodging for $50.

8  Thank rarich
See more reviews
Reviewed March 30, 2010

This montane forest reserve holds some of Ecuador's most spectacular birds -- Andean Cock-of-the-Rock, Giant Antpitta, Velvet-purple Coronet, Booted Racket-tail, and many more -- and offers incredible chances to experience them. You get to the cock-of-the-rock blind early, before sunrise. How active the birds are varies; we saw one male feeding on fruits, but apparently sometimes many males lek and display together. Fruit feeders bring guans, toucanets and tanagers in close offering fantastic photo opportunities, and Angel Paz can call in Toucan-Barbets too. Several antpitta species have been trained to take earthworms from the owners, which is an interesting way to experience these usually very secretive and difficult-to-see birds. While we were there, the famous Giant Antpitta "Maria" was actually on a nest, which I thought was an even better way to see her. And the hummingbird feeders ... incredible, overwhelming, gorgeous. You won't want to leave.

After an early start and lots of birding, breakfast of local cuisine is served. I'm a fan of eating locally so enjoyed the bolas (plantain dumplings) and empanadas.

Bring your camera and binoculars (of course), and be aware that you'll be traversing steep, narrow, sometimes slippery trails through the forest (in the dark on the way in). When we were there, the road in was so slick with mud that several vehicles got stuck and we had to finish the ride in the back of a pickup truck.

Angel Paz and his family are local landowners who are trying to conserve the forest and the birds that live there. Sharing the birds with visitors helps provide the income they need to conserve the land.

8  Thank djr41