“Super fun!”

Mindo Ropes and Canopy
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just $15 gets you thirteen zip-line rides - each different. Gorgeous scenery, terrific guides to help.

1  Thank KDsTravels

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Please do not go there. My friend died there!

Ecuadorinmediato.com reported:

1. Owner of canopy company (Hosteriá Mindo Ropes and Canopy) remains in custody after accident.
2. The company has been suspended from operations.
3. U.S. tourist died after cable carrying canopy broke half-way on its route.
4. The tourist fell 40 meters.
5. Guide was seriously hurt and is hospitalized.
6. Preliminary reports is equipment not in adequate condition for service

16  Thank Kristine P
Reviewed July 13, 2012

It was amazing. We did this with two guides who went before and after us. Though they hadn't a huge amount of english they made sure we knew exactly what we were doing and that we were enjoying it. The views were spectacular and it's a real thrill. I'm not sure that regulation exists or if it does it's not on a par with European standards. We didn't even have to sign anything before we did it. It was a fantastic experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

The guides speak English, they were very socialable with the group. The equipment was in great shape and they were very careful with every person. The views were awesome. Go early in the morning, about 9am before the buses get there.

3  Thank GraceCanada1301
Reviewed May 30, 2012

An American tourist died in Mindo this weekend when the zip lines/ cable broke! She fell 40 mts to her death. I live in Ecuador for 2 years and I have done the zip lines myself about a year ago, with my husband and 7 year old daughter - never again!

I do know there are at least two zip line operators in Mindo: one known as the "Costa Rican built" system and one "Ecuadorian built/Operated". At this moment there is not enough information for me to know for sure in what specific zip line operation the accident occurred. Supposedly the operation is now closed.

I just want to tell tourists to be VERY CAREFUL. Avoid zip lines for now (or forever), but at least until a full investigation is done. Beware though, things are not regulated, inspected, or maintained to US standards, and safety standards are not the same as in the US.

My heart goes out to the family of the victim. This terrible tragedy should have never happened!

30  Thank bunnylu