“Best hotel on the island”

DPNY Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ilhabela
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best hotel on the island”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

DPNY is certainly the best hotel on the island.
It certainly gives the best party for New Year on the beach in Sao Paulo.

The best rooms are the Ocean Views Masters Suits on second floors and the separate units by the swimming pool.

The hotel is very trendy with cool music all day and night - IBIZA style.
The owners used to spend a lot of time creating events and marketing programs.

It used to be more CHIC with dance events on Thursdays but since it became famous, it became very crowed and not so posh people are able to come.
Many 'packages' and "pay in installments" for hotel rooms had attracted different type of crowd it used to have which were very trendy, often young beautiful couples.

The hostess at the restaurant and staff used to look extremely attractive .They were native islanders. Today, most of the staff are some other states and no longer from the island.

Many outstanding staff no longer work at the restaurant so the climate is busy and not so pretty / trendy or outstanding service as it once was.

Nevertheless, it is still the BEST in the island both for food and for staying.
Don't miss going there. They do not accept children under 8 years old.

Room Tip: Avoid small room with view to the road. Ask for ocean view and in the new building.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The hotel lives up to its promise to be hip chic, but it lacks basic service standards. For example, our room wasn't ready when we arrived and they didn't have a place to store our luggage. They said we needed to carry our luggage to change and then take it back to our car while we waited for the room. The reception desk staff was rude and unprepared. For the rates they charge they need to improve their service! On the positive note, the restaurant was good with great food. They didn't have a lot of the wines on the list but the food helped overcome that.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank poliana23
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I went in January of 2011 with my mother. I thought the place was fun, the island okay, not the most stunning place on the Sao Paulo coastline.

The breakfasts were the highlight of our stay, delicious food, endless choice, it was really fabulous.

I think if you are looking for a boutique type hotel this is not your place, but it is fun and good for kids, the decoration is hilarious in places! Leopard skin,mixed with terra-cotta Mexican design. At times I wasn't sure which country or era I was in.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank RioLondonLove
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Paradise is there. Arriving, the beauty quite impressive. The lighting and music is something that turns the place into something mystical. The soundtrack is absolutely surreal.

The pool is deep blue, and night, LEDs make it especially beautiful.

The room is huge, the bed is huge, the Jacuzzi bath is huge. The blind is electric. Special bedlinen. The air conditioner is perfect. Art everywhere. Details taken seriously.

The sea view is something that I would never forget. In fact, sea, mountain and pool appear to be part of each other.

Always very well treated by all staff who are kind and helpful.

Even the city of Ilhabela has numerous waterfalls, beaches and stunning landscapes, it is very difficult to leave the hotel.

The high gastronomy restaurant, gave us unforgettable dinners. Mix of tastes and textures are perfect.

DPNY is certainly a place that I want to visit again.

December 2011.

Killingworth, Connecticut
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I just spent a great weekend in Ilha Bela @ DPNY. It has amazing scenery, a wonderful staff and a great overall atmosphere. The entire staff made us "Americans" feel at home even though we did not speak Portuguese. While most staff did not speak English they were quick to locate someone who did and were very patient and dedicated to helping us meld into the awesome Brazilian beach culture.

I have read a few negative reviews of the service at the hotel. In my experience, Brazilian style of service differs a bit from several other places in the world (US especially). They tend to wait for you to give them some sort of "sign" that you want/need service. If you are not experienced with this style of service it can be confused as "aloof" or not caring. If you go, don't be shy to tell them when you need something.....from our experience they will respond.

We also found that if you don't speak Portuguese and English will be your means of communication, let them know that upfront and be patient.... they will typically locate someone who speaks enough so that you can communicate what you would like.

Typically if the staff member does not speak English we found them to be shy and "standoffish" which again can be confused for not caring which many times was exactly the opposite. Several times we witnessed that person walking to the other side of the resort to locate someone who spoke some English, to come help them make sure our needs were well attended to.

DPNY is not a huge place but cosy enough to feel like you are in an exclusive resort. It has a private feel and definitely is not "touristy". If you like lounge, beach chill and smooth house music this is a great spot for you. The "vibe" of DPNY centers around the music which plays a pivotal role in helping set the mood for each time of the day. While we were there, the resident DJ spent significant time walking around the resort making sure the music matched they type of atmosphere (for example....a little more house on the beach but more chill by the pool)

The rooms are clean, private and provide all the necessary comforts without being opulent. If you can, try to get one on the beach/pool side of the hotel. Check in is at 3 PM but they will give you arm band so you can use the facilities while you wait. Check out is 6 PM which is great as it gives you all day to enjoy the place before showering and heading out.

There are a lot of good food options from Duck, Fish & Meat to Pasta, Sushi and lots of Tapas style foods to "munch" on the beach or around the pool. They also have a great breakfast buffet....I can assure you will not go hungry.

Drinks are served throughout the day which helps to add to the fun/hip/chilled atmosphere. Everywhere you look someone is drinking refreshing coconut water (out of a coconut), a well mixed fruit smoothie (w/ or w/out alchol), sparkling wine, champagne or nicely chilled Stella Artois.

Getting to DPNY was pretty easy. We rented a car from Hertz at Congonhas Airport and made the 3 1/2 hour drive w/out any issues (make sure you get a GPS as getting out of the city can be a bit hectic). Depending on when you go, the main bottleneck will be the Dersa Ferry to/from Ilha Bela. Lines can be long and traffic hectic if you are there for weekend or during a holiday. If you have a flight out of Sao Paulo, ask the hotel when you should leave. They can monitor the ferry lines via the Dersa website and give you an idea of how long the lines are before you leave.

One word of caution....there are a lot of mosquito's so if you plan to travel to IB, make sure you bring strong bug spray (none of the fruity stuff :)

We see why this is such a popular spot with Paulista's and is a great opportunity for you to see Brazilian Beach culture at its best.

Desfrutar!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach side.
1 Thank adamsdunn
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We just got back from DPNY. The hotel is amazing, beautiful location, great design and decoration and breathtaking views. However the hotel stuff needs training in customer service and client satisfaction. The receptionist at the hotel was very rude to us on our welcome. She told us that we had to leave our suitcases in our car until check in time, since the hotel did not have a storage for luggage. Later on, the bell boy told us she was "confused" and the hotel indeed had storage for luggage. The hotel is amazing as said before but do not expect 5 star service. Also there is no fitness center

1 Thank Monts2010
São Paulo
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The Hotel is very beautiful, not only the beach and location but the arquitecture and decoration. One of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen, as good as the hotels in Asia (Tailand, Singapore, Bali, etc.)
However, being such a chique the service has to be good.
Every time I go there I am told about their internal rules. I have even asked if I can have a copy of the "hotel rules".
Yesterday I asked for a Caipirinha with a basic cachaça, Sagatiba (15 reals at Pão de Açucar). When I get the bill I am charged with a premuim cachaça. I question the fact and the "caixa" tells me that their rules is to concider this cachaça Sagatiba a premuim cachaça. When I tell him that that does not make any sence he almost ofered to beat me up. I imediatlly asked to speak to the person in charge of the bar, and instead of person in charge of the bar (a very beautiful Italian girl), an enoumous mauiri time guy tells me that I have to respect the hotels rules about cachaças with a face that was telling me if I did not he would beat me up.
Think Global, treating all your customers well, and act local, charging the obvious price for local cachaças.
Please correct the service so I can continue enjoying the hotel.
João Lima