“A good surprise in Macae”
Review of Hotel Du Lac

and 1 more site!
Hotel Du Lac
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Macae
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West
“A good surprise in Macae”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After staying in several hotels in Rio and Macae, I was positively surprised by this one. The room was small, but in very good shape, clean and welcoming; same for the bathroom.
Breakfast is in a covered area, opened to the outside, and offers a good choice of fresh fruit, bread, cereals etc. There is a buffet in the evening, a bit expensive, but I did not test.
All comon spaces, and the small gardens are well kept, maybe the influence from the swiss owner? however the pool needs refurbishment.
Very quiet district, my room had a nice view to the lagoon.
A negative point, strange considering all the "gringos" in the hotels of Macae: no english speakers in the front desk...
When I go back to Macae, I know where I will be!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bru44
johnmQ3099XR, General Manager at Hotel Du Lac, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your review. It is very much appreciated.
I am the new General Manager of the Hotel Du Lac.
I look forward to you returning to Hotel Du Lac and sharing with you our plans for improvement.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hi
Sometimes you have good experiences, sometimes not, this was a very good experience.

I spend 50% of my working time in Rio de Janeiro, and 50% in Macae. I think a month I'm spending $ 3-5000 per month in hotels.

I know all the hotels in Macae, Four Seasons, Dubai, Comfort Inn, Macae Palace, etc.
All these hotels that I think are very expensive and not that great, and the service very average.

This was the first time we stayed at the Du Lac.

My experience was extremely positive. I like the location of your hotel and proximity to the beach.
I like your swimming pool for training and work out, exercise.

I enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet; it was very acceptable.

But most of all I liked the staff; everyone on your staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. Checkin and checkout was efficient, everyone greeted me and said, "Hello," I was not made to feel an outsider. The empragadas did an excellent job of cleaning and tidying the room, and could be trusted to leave valuables in the room (my mistake, but good to know that they can be trusted), the room was cleaned early in the day.

Breakfast was available early (I get to work early), and I enjoyed the variety of fruits and breads, etc. (but with eggs please!).

If I could make a small suggestion for improvement would be to perform some maintenance on your gym equipment. Some of the equipment was broken, and needs to be fixed. This is very important for me, as I like to use the gymnasium every day for cycling, treadmill, use some light weights and stretching.

Again, thank you for a wonderful experience, please pass along my compliments to the team, and I'm going back to the hotel in 1-2 weeks.

Please share this with your team as I think this is the kind of "feedback" to each employee likes to listen and help give everyone a feeling that work is valued and appreciated.

Very sincerely,
Your new repetitve client.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I spend a lot of time at this hotel as a expat oilfield worker because this is where our company puts us up when we are working in Macae. First, the good points:

- the staff are extremely helpful and accommodating although most speak only Portuguese
- the housekeeping staff do a superb job with the daily routine in the guest rooms
- the laundry service is speedy and well done
- the showers are excellent ...big stalls, good water pressure and good shower heads

And now the "not so good" points:

Overall, the hotel has a medieval dungeon-like feel to it due to acres of dark wood and extremely poor lighting everywhere. This atmosphere permeates the entire hotel from the guest rooms to the dining room to the bar. Although I'm required to stay at this hotel, I refuse to eat in the hotel as (a) the buffet is monotonously similar each day (b) the food is of very low quality to begin with and then the "chefs" take those poor quality ingredients to an even lower level while preparing it in the hotel kitchen (c) the tariff is outrageous for this quality....40 BRL. Ordering from the limited menu as an alternative to the buffet is always a hit and miss proposition. If you order the pepper steak, the waiter will ask you how you would like it done but that's only for show....the steak will be well done, regardless. If you feel adventurous and order room service, your food is almost guaranteed to be delivered cold, especially if the dining room is busy at the time. The bar is a complete ripoff which explains why it is always empty..6 BRL for a beer. So, basically, don't eat or drink here if you can help it. Unfortunately, the hotel is so far removed from the beach restaurants that, unless you have a rental car, you will need to take a taxi to go to dinner and Macae taxi service is another story altogether. The taxis are few and far between, they don't flag so you have to phone, and you can generally expect a lengthy wait once you actually place your order for the taxi. Back to the hotel...the "games room" has a very tired pool table in need of new felt. The pool cues are just bare sticks with no tips left so it's really not possible to play a serious game. There's also a table football game of ancient vintage. I don't normally mess with this stuff so it's no big deal to me. However, I do like a little bit of TV news that I can understand and, unlike any other hotel I have stayed at in Brasil, this hotel has no English news channel of any description....ditto for sports and movies. Considering that the hotel does get their share of foreign guests, they have put zero effort into catering to us in the television department. The hotel Internet varies in performance from "not bad" on the weekend when the hotel is mostly empty to "flaky and slow" during the week when every guy and his dog is making Skype video calls. So...there's alot of downside to staying at this hotel but, if you have no choice in the matter, then at least the staff are nice, you'll have a great shower and always have clean clothes and a fresh bed.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building...not the annex. Rooms in the main building have microwaves and mini-fridg...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jesse R
Thank you for your review.
I am the new General Manager of Hotel Du Lac.
I hope that you will try our hotel again.
I look forward to meeting you personally, next time you are at the Hotel and sharing with you our plans for improvement.

Travelers are raving about these Macae hotels

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Please do a favor close this hotel. Toooooo expensive really poor quality.

• Stayed June 2012
I am the new General Manager of the Hotel Du Lac.
The items you have identified are being worked on, some will take longer to remedy than others.
We are very committed to demonstratively improving the quality of accommodation, facilities and service at Hotel Du Lac.
I hope that despite this experience, you will return to Hotel Du Lac, so I can share with you some of our plans for improvement.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband & I travelled from Rio de Janeiro for a conference andspent 2 days at this hotel.
Very old and tired was my opinion. Our first room( an Executive Room) took me more than an hour to get into( the door did not work), eventually the bell boy as no maintenance was available had to take the handle off to get in. The room was dismal more like a 2* than a 4* very dark wood and a musty smell. Going for lunch was an ordeal my husband was at the conference so I was on my own & did not like me signing for anything. returning to room to have the same ordeal with the door. I went to reception to request a different room, this was not a problem, however the room they wanted me to have was worse than the previous one it was not very clean, I asked the receptionist to show me what they had & she informed me that I could have the best room in the house but it was an extra 300 reals per night taking the cost to over 800 reals per night. The suite was I have to admit lovely beautiful balcony and the staff were very friendly. Shame the hotel just need to close for a few weeks to paint everything renew gym equipment (haven't seen equipment like it in 20 years) put new curtains and fresh linnen on all beds then restar it a 3* and it will be good value for money.
The pools were a big of a joke for us as they were advertised as Olympic size, one was a very small plunge pool the other was a 2 lane lap pool the water was clean andi did see someone cleaning it in the morning bit the tile surround was rusty and was not visually appealing to going in.
I have to say that really the only good thing about this hotel are the staff who were very friendly. my portuguese is not the best and they did everything to help if poss
summary great staff shame about the hotel.

Room Tip: for the same price try the four seasons standard room this is better than the penthouse suite here...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am the new General Manager of Hotel Du Lac.
We are very committed to making Hotel Du Lac a better experience for our guests.
Your comments and recommendations are valued and we are endeavoring to improve the Hotel in the coming months.
I hope that you will try Hotel Du Lac again, and meet with you personally to share with you our plans for improvement.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2011

for the price this place sucks. for a medium price they make up for it with expensive prices for the bar and a mediocre brunch which is the same crap everyday. The drinks from the bar are not in reals but USD upon checkout, the rooms are small, not like the scenic rooms you see on the web page. AC usually does not work, only to be told have to wait for the maintnance, whom seem to only work from 1200 - 1400 and never arrived to "fix the A/C".

The place sits in the middle of a residential district on a beach that no one visits due to high crime/ mugging. Do not spend a dime here. better places on cavlier beach that are better and cheaper.and if you want to go to a local bar will not cost 70 USD to get there.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank terry r
I am the new General Manager of Hotel Du Lac.
We are committed to improving the service, facilities and quality of Hotel Du Lac.

I hope that you will return to Hotel Du Lac, and I will share with you some of the work we are undertaking to improve the Hotel, and our plans for improvement.
Goa, India
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is a cozy hotel situated away from the main city, a few minutes walk from the beach. The rooms are clean and the room service pretty good. The food was about average. They have a decent sized gym, but a swimming pool is not too clean. The recreational facilities are many including a dart board, and a pool table.

Room Tip: None of the staff know to speak English.....so learn a bit of Portuguese.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Gordon M
I am the new General Manager of Hotel Du Lac.
We are committed to improving the Hotel and guest experience, including language skills.
The swimming pool has been an early focus of attention for quality improvement, and implementation of more frequent cleaning, filtering, and certification. I personally use the lap training pool at least 3-4 times per week, and during this time in the pool, I also monitor quality and attention to details.