“The Worst.”

Cafe Balena
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place is seriously the worst....ever. My boyfriend and I decided to give it a try one night because our favorite downtown restaurant was beyond packed. Cafe Belena was next to empty with only one other couple who appeared to only order wine. We didn't even get past our appetizers before we decided we couldn't stand the place. The chef was socializing when we walked in and almost seemed bothered by the fact that he had to leave his conversation to prepare a caprese salad and not one but two different waitresses attended to us making things pretty awkward. It feels strange to complain about such attentive service but it was very uncomfortable to have them constantly hovering. The prices were steep, the food was awful, and the service was annoying at best. Do yourself a favor and go to literally ANY other restaurant downtown instead.

2  Thank jayne b

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Lovely ambiance,excellent service, very good food. A bit pricey. Chef uncooperative to make substitutions. Need reservations.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Restaurant is closed. When it was open, it was a lovely, iconic restaurant where you could linger over a meal.

1  Thank MA3222
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Cafe Balena is an authentic Italian restaurant with exceptional cuisine...this is not a meatball and spaghetti joint; features some fine Italian wines; has a friendly and helpful staff.

1  Thank hkoro
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was weary reading the other reviews, and frankly it seems like I went to a different restaurant.I was delightfully surprised with Cafe Balena. So quaint romantic with Ella Fitzgerald crooning and candlelight flickering. My meal consisted of the carpaccio, seafood risotto, and the mascarpone cheesecake. The service was friendly and on point, and the food was INCREDIBLE. The carpaccio was as pretty as it was delicious and I died and went to heaven after eating the seafood risotto which was filling and flavorful. The cheesecake and a visit by the chef finished our night. If you're looking for the cookie cutter italian, you're out of luck, Cafe Balena is the real deal.

1  Thank ReganMartins