“Tasty italian food!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Balena
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boston, MA
“Tasty italian food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This place was deserted when we went in, which was kind of sad, because it was so cute!

The prices were a little steep, but the food was definitely delicious.

The only thing: There aren't a lot of non-seafood items on the menu, which is fine because hey, New Bedford should be selling seafood up the wazoo..... but I was with a friend who was pregnant and asked for chicken on her pasta instead of shellfish. The waiter said no, because the only chicken they had was not cut into pieces? This was, by far, the weirdest explanation for why a linguine couldn't have chicken instead of shellfish.

I got chicken saltimboca or something, which was great - not sure why they couldn't put that chicken on linguine for my pregnant friend... oh well?

All our dishes were very good -waitstaff was overly attentive ... to a fault... but I guess that's because they didn't have anything else to do.

I do hope more people try this place, because the food is really quite good and it's an adorable spot, probably just too pricey for this area?

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Lovintheworld17

sassari
“outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

we love love the cooking classes..
never have so much fun in the ki chen

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank antonella c
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian food in the southcoast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife and I frequently travel across the southcoast trying new Italian restaurants. Cafe Balena was a totally new experience for us. The music playing in the restaurant was wonderful and it wasnt to loud. Our waiter, Paul, was very attentive about the menu and answered all our of out questions quickly. We started off by purchasing a bottle of chianti classico and had a ceasar salad for an appatizer. Our main dishes were a linguini scampi and a seafood risoto. These dishes were the best prepared dishes we have ever recieved at a restaurant. The taste of the food was also exquisite, the combination of all the seafood in the risoto was.amazing. I really enjoyed my visit to cafe balena and my wife and I will certainly be back soon.

1 Thank Heroman55
“ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

It is great homemade Italian food, it taste fresh, and delicous. The service was amazing they were kind and were very knowledgable about the dishes. We had the penne al pesto dish it was cooked perfect and the sauce was just right, I recomend this restraunt to everyone! It is small and perfect, in a great part of downtown! Deffinatly the greatest italian restraunt in New Bedford, and the best pizza in New Bedford!

1 Thank Saharapja
boston
“so cozy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

I love eveything about this place, food ,atmosphere, music....food is very fresh ,music is live and relaxing with an Italian feel, atmosphere is small, cozy and romantic.

Visited June 2011