“Fabulous, fabulous Portuguese food!”

Antonio's Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 260 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Absolutely wonderful food at very reasonable prices, usually with enough to take home for another meal! Lots of seafood options, sometimes rabbit and goat on the menu. Chicke, pork, beef, sandwiches, paella, fish and chops (try the Portuguese verson for a real treat!) and of course, the traditional Portuguese sweets for dessert (IF you have room....I dare you!)
Have been here several times. My favorite is the shrimp and spaghetti (lots of garlic and a red sauce). Very casual atmosphere. There is a separate bar area (with tables too). No reservation, so be prepared for a wait on weekends!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Took it as a good sign when we waiting for a table next to a local family with three generations present. Another family waiting were there on a recommendation from a friend who grew up in a Portuguese family in New Bedford that this was THE place to eat. None of them were wrong. Among the dishes at our table were the paella for one (which is really enough for two or three!), the caçoila, and cod fish cakes - all got thumbs up from our family. The seasoned rice served with the broiled seafood (another winner) was devoured by our pickiest eater at the table. And on advice from others, we ordered the sangria - another winner. If you've never eaten Portuguese food, or if you have and just want a great meal at great prices, give this restaurant a try. Just be aware at how popular it is - we had a 30-minute wait for a table at 6pm on a Saturday night.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I think Antonio's used to be good, but they have become complacent. The service was not very good, and I was shocked when I received my shrimp skewers and they shrimp were not cleaned. The were not deveined, and they looked very unappealing. When I asked the server, she said ' we don't devein our shrimp here." Yuck. Everyone else's food was just ok. They do load you up with rice and french fries, but the rest is just adequate. But it was still very crowded, so I guess there are lots of folks who are more interested in quantity vice quality. I know I won't go back!

1  Thank PamLWestport_MA
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Chicken Algarvia, i believe is how it is spelt, is by far my favorite meal besides a simple spaghetti and meatballs. This has been my favorite restaurant throughout the years and I do not see that changing any time soon. You get what you pay for, the portions are .. well let's just say youll have enough for lunch and dinner the next day.

This is a one of a kind restaurant that i am constantly recommending to others.

1  Thank flowerchiild
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Huge portions and authentic portugese food here and every single thing on the menu is delicious. My family has been going here for years and bringing every guest that visits to Antonio's.

1  Thank KKJBB3