“Great Place, Great Food, Great Staff”

Antonio's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 253 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Meeting our nephew for dinner. We were very early due to travel. The staff was wonderful being attentive to us during our wait and then dinner. The place was packed and we were never rushed. Our waitress was knowledgeable, attentive, and fun. David, the host, was wonderful. The menu was varied and the prices amazingly reasonable. Ordered the Paella which was deliciously amazing and FILLED w seafood and lobster. Will return for sure to try other dishes if I can get past ordering the paella again..

1  Thank MelissafromNorthport

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Don't you just love those places where the food is just as good as when you last visited! Antonio's continues to create flavorful food at truly reasonable prices. Be sure to try the Clams and Shrimp Antonio, or for a smaller appetite, the Shrimp Mozambique. Both are outstanding and substantial enough to be a main course dish (especially when all the great juices are sopped up with the fresh Portuguese rolls). My husband loves the grilled sardines, and I always have to snag a few of his crispy sliced potatoes which he substitutes for the boiled potatoes. We were a bit disappointed with the Pork Alentejana this time as the pork was a bit dry and tough. The portions are huge -- and our party of four were more than satisfied even though we shared two main dishes, one Clam and Shrimp Antonio's, and a cod cake and a lobster croquette. Though their website says otherwise, they do now take credit cards.

1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The food is great. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual. The prices are totally reasonable! To trip advisor.....100 characters is not necessary to give your opinion on a restaurant...so I am adding characters for no reason whatsoever!

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The pork and clam dish with fried potatoes is my favorite. It's huge so either share or plan to bring some home. Also live the fried oysters and the cacoila. I usually order the sandwich vs the dinner. For dessert order flan or tiramisu. Not fancy but lots of good food at a good price.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

What a disappointment eating in this place. Hungry as I was, and after reading so many good reviews, I was actually excited to come to this place, and have a decent meal. As sometimes happens, maybe I was expecting too much, and was let down by the experience on the night I was there. Dreadful – to be polite to this restaurant.

POSITIVE POINTS:
To be fair to this restaurant, it is clean, reasonably well decorated showing a little history of the family. The bar area is pleasant, and the guy running the bar is probably the only human asset that is positive in this place - pleasant and funny.

I must say that the portions are large, but that is not always advantageous.

Anything else??? NO, this is where the positive points stop.

NEGATIVE POINTS:
I arrived at about 20H30… and was not allowed to sit at the tables. The waitress arrogantly said that I need to wait, since she needed to check if they still had time to serve me. WHAT??? On the door, the sign says the kitchen closes at 21H30… still one hour to go. Anyhow, after some time waiting at the bar, with a glass of wine in my hand, she came back saying that “exceptionally” they will accept serving me.

Now, I like good service, but I am not one to care for over-friendly waiters, but these people serving at the tables are truly rude, unfriendly, and completely lax as to what customer care is. I could not believe how such a “highly rated” restaurant on Tripadvisor could treat customers with such carelessness and inattention. Like I said, I dislike servers “drooling” over me, but this is ridiculous as to their ill-mannered and unfriendly attitude.

I ordered the Antonio’s Steak… asked for it medium-rare. Yes, the portion was large, but it was a little over-cooked for my liking. Upon complaining, the waitress told me that the kitchen is closed, and nothing could be done. Hungry as I was, I ate this painfully. Steak was tough, dry and only swallowed due to the help of our faithful friend “ketchup”.

Fries were reasonable yet cold, but I have no doubt at all that the rice was microwaved – stale and tasted dull. The only thing I actually enjoyed in this place was the nice bottle of Portuguese red wine. That helped me wash down the truly pitiful food. Well… I obviously did not finish the meal, due to the dire quality, and was looking forward to a desert to help me try to improve my level of satisfaction (or disappointment) at this time. NO SUCH LUCK. I thought the waitress was going to take my plate away, and bring me the desert menu. Yes, you guessed it… she collected my plate, and promptly threw me the bill. No desert… no coffee… not a single word… nothing.

By this time, I was dying to get out of this place… so, disillusioned I paid and immediately left. Honestly, leaving was a relief.

SUMMING UP:
I arrived at this place filled with high moral and positive feeling, based on the great rating it has… just to leave this place feeling ripped off. I don’t mind paying good money for a good experience… but this… really???
Maybe the waitresses were on a bad day… but I must be fair with MY experience in this place… and it was a disaster. The only reason this does not get a ONE star rating, is due to the great guy at the bar, who is delightful, in the midst of all this gloom. Me… no, forget it – I will never return.
Try it if you want… but not under my recommendation.

3  Thank Trave1Bandit