“Besides the good food, history surrounds you.”

Freestone's City Grill
Ranked #3 of 251 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The fresh scallops were slightly overcooked, but still plump and juicy. And the cup of fish chowder was delicious. This was our first time at Freestone’s while visiting friends who live in New Bedford and who highly recommended this place. We were not disappointed. While waiting for your meal, pick up one of the laminated history flyers and read about the environs. This placed was rescued from a dark and boarded over interior where only thugs would have dared to enter. It has been fully restored with loving attention to detail.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our party of four arrived around 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon and was seated immediately. Everyone's meal was delicious, and the atmosphere was so picturesque and cozy. The antiques added just the right touch, adding to the historical atmosphere. Our waitress was attentive and helpful. We had fish chowder and a small Caesar salad, chicken parmesan sandwich, Hawaiian chicken sandwich and the Oriental Turkey salad. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Will definitely return on our next trip to New Bedford. (Even the bathroom seems of the time period, with the tiniest sink "eva"!!)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Freestone's City Grill is in a perfect location if you're visiting some of the sights in New Bedford, MA. We visited on a Sunday afternoon, and had no problems finding parking nearby. I'd imagine it may be difficult to find spots on the narrow brick streets during certain times, so plan accordingly.

The restaurant offered very nice atmosphere and wasn't very busy when we visited. The menu was pretty good and the beer selection wasn't bad. I ate the Buffalo Chicken Wrap, which was fine. The buffalo sauce definitely had a kick to it. I enjoyed the wrap, but I probably wouldn't order it again. My wife ordered the Turkey Club Wrap, and I ate half of that. It was pretty incredible, and if I ate here again, I'd likely order that.

The biggest complaint I had was about the service. It was just very, very slow. Long stretches would occur between seeing our waitress, and she never once asked us if we wanted another drink or a refill. At the end of the meal, she apologized for not stopping by more. While I appreciated the apology, the service still left a great deal to be desired.

While the service was lacking, the food was good and the atmosphere was quite strong. It was in a great location. I'd probably return, by the service would make me think twice.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our family was looking for a good place for dinner while passing through New Bedford. Read the impressive reviews about Freestones and thought we'd give it a try. We couldn't have been more pleased. It was crowded with a long wait so we grabbed a seat at the bar for a drink and dinner. The service, drinks, food, friendliness, hospitality and setting were superb. Both bartenders treated us like regulars. And they didn't mind that we mis-pronounced "scallops." We will definitely make it a point to stop the next time we're in New Bedford.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We went to the New Bedford Whaling Museum and it started pouring when we got out, so we ran over here for lunch. We both had the soup and half sandwich - both were very good. The service was excellent and it is a very clean place. It was fun because everyone else was working and dressed up and we had the day off.