“Really good Italian food”
Review of Cafe Italia

Cafe Italia
Ranked #17 of 250 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dartmouth, MA
“Really good Italian food”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our first visit to Café Italia, recommended by friends, and we're already looking forward to returning. While the location in a small strip mall may be uninspiring, the inside is warm and inviting. It's a small dining room, with the tables a bit close together, but it's cozy instead of off-putting. And the food is worth it! My husband loved his veal marsala, because the veal was particularly good and the sauce flavorful. My cavatelli with broccoli and Italian sausage hit the right spot for my pasta craving with its rich butter and garlic sauce, with plenty of al dente pasta and bits of broccoli and the optional sausage added in (otherwise with chicken or as is). The menu isn't overwhelming and has enough variety for meat, chicken, and pasta to satisfy your Italian food tastes. Seafood seemed to be mostly shellfish options. We skipped the appetizer in favor of the generous bread basket served with olive oil seasoned lightly with garlic and red pepper flakes, and we didn't save room for dessert. We enjoyed every last bite of our entrees instead of saving some for leftovers. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. BYOB, so bring a bottle of wine you know you'll enjoy. Reservations recommended, even during the week, because it is a small dining room.

• Visited November 2013

Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Best Italian Around”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Here's the perfect meal (for me, anyway): antipasto, pasta bolognese, braciole di carne, and maybe some dessert if I'm not already so stuffed I can't eat another bite. At Cafe Italia, all these dishes are superbly prepared. The antipasto has plenty of tasty meats, cheese, and egg, as well as olives, peppers, and not too much lettuce; it's enough for four people but so irresistible that my wife and I have been known to finish it all by ourselves. The bolognese isn't available all the time; but if you can't get it on the day you visit, that will give you an excuse to come back soon and try again. The restaurant's decor is, shall we say, unpretentious. Fortunately, I don't eat decor. The service is friendly and efficient, and the staff do their best to get you what you want. Because Cafe Italia is BYOB, your tab at the end of the meal will not cause indigestion. In short, you would have to drive to Federal Hill in Providence or the North End in Boston to get an Italian dinner this good, and your wallet would suffer for the drive.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank IrvingBrown
“Good”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We heard of this place from friends of ours and decided to try it. To our surprise the food was really tasty. The place is small but the service and fresh food make up for it. My husband & I had the calamari as an appetizer, entrées he had the lasagna & I had the lobster ravioli. We had salted caramel gelato & all was delicious. FYI, it is BYOB.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kristy S
Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Tucked away in New Bedford in a small space, it's nothing special inside, however the food was excellent! The "gravy" was delicious on both the chicken parm and lasagna. The chocolate cake was also very good. I love the BYOB experience. We will definitely be back!!

1 Thank True_Love_LD
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“Best Italian Food”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Cafe Italia is by far the best restaurant in the area!!!! The food is the absolute best. It is a small very European feeling restaurant. The service is outstanding. Nick and Tracey have done an outstanding job with the whole experience!!!! The BYOB is great you don't have to pay outrageous prices for wine. My husband and I frequent Cafe Italia as often as possible.

• Visited January 2013