Ocean Explorium - CLOSED
Great for kids

Reviewed August 3, 2014
kandice u
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Underfunded, but their efforts shine through

Reviewed July 8, 2014
368danac
Norfolk, Virginia

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great for kids, adults not so much. Prices are reasonable, variety of touch tanks and activities for children.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed July 8, 2014

-Had about a half-dozen smallish tanks, but some fun specimens. Three touch tanks--one of which held scallops, another with other invertebrates, and a third with sharks and rays.
-Shark and ray touch tank was fun--they do a feeding at 2pm. This was a lot of fun to watch, but you can't have your hands in the water for 15 minutes after they finish.
-Albino bamboo spotted shark!
-Some fun mini-experiments run by enthusiastic volunteers (I think). Sarah was great and took the time to explain density to my three-year old. I won't say he totally understood it, but he liked the demonstration.
-Room off-to-the-side that held a lot of toys for 2-4 year-olds--a nice touch.
-Your $7.50-$8.50 is well worth the hour you spend inside.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed July 1, 2014

There are bigger aquariums...and they come with much bigger price tags! We went to the Ocean Explorium with our daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren, ages 5 and 6. There is more to this place than you can imagine from the outside. It is housed in a former bank building that is beautiful inside and out. There is a rich history in the bank alone and the safe is worth checking out! Now on to the Explorium. There are the usual tanks of fish, sea horses and jelly fish which are fun to watch. There is also a coral tank, some hands on tanks (my grandson held a crab!) and a ray and shark touch tank that we all put our hands into. The discovery center has a lot of hands-on activities including a large amount of books about the ocean and its inhabitants. You could spend hours in there alone. A few crafts and games add to the learning experiences. The Science Sphere is fascinating and a don't miss exhibit. The staff is helpful and we connected with an intern that added to our enjoyment of the displays. The price is very reasonable and they have senior discounts that start at age 55, as well as a AAA discount. We all had a very enjoyable visit!

Date of experience: June 2014
3  Thank oceangirl59
Reviewed June 23, 2014

this place is beautiful, it is quite small but it is great. I enjoyed coming here the handful of times that i had. We were allowed to put our hands in the water and allow the stingrays to glide under them. The various amounts of fish that they had was amazing to me. And the staff should also get a lot of credit. They were a younger crowd when i visited but they were so kind and helpful

I will be coming back again.

Date of experience: July 2013
1  Thank flowerchiild
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I went here with my children 4 and 1 and it was very enjoyable. My daughter enjoyed the touch tanks and the staff was excellent! There is a children's room full of activities, several large tanks and science learning stations. Truly a great place! I recommend the experience to anyone with children that love marine life.

Date of experience: April 2014