Ocean Explorium - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Great for kids

Great for kids, adults not so much. Prices are reasonable, variety of touch tanks and activities... read more

Reviewed August 3, 2014
kandice u
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Extraordinary!

A great place for any age group! I've taken my elderly residents there on outings! Very informative... read more

Reviewed April 25, 2016
beachbound66
massachusetts

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 1, 2014

There are bigger aquariums...and they come with much bigger price tags! We went to the Ocean Explorium with our daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren, ages 5 and 6. There is more to this place than you can imagine from the outside. It is housed in a former bank building that is beautiful inside and out. There is a rich history in the bank alone and the safe is worth checking out! Now on to the Explorium. There are the usual tanks of fish, sea horses and jelly fish which are fun to watch. There is also a coral tank, some hands on tanks (my grandson held a crab!) and a ray and shark touch tank that we all put our hands into. The discovery center has a lot of hands-on activities including a large amount of books about the ocean and its inhabitants. You could spend hours in there alone. A few crafts and games add to the learning experiences. The Science Sphere is fascinating and a don't miss exhibit. The staff is helpful and we connected with an intern that added to our enjoyment of the displays. The price is very reasonable and they have senior discounts that start at age 55, as well as a AAA discount. We all had a very enjoyable visit!

3  Thank oceangirl59
Reviewed June 23, 2014

this place is beautiful, it is quite small but it is great. I enjoyed coming here the handful of times that i had. We were allowed to put our hands in the water and allow the stingrays to glide under them. The various amounts of fish that they had was amazing to me. And the staff should also get a lot of credit. They were a younger crowd when i visited but they were so kind and helpful

I will be coming back again.

1  Thank flowerchiild
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I went here with my children 4 and 1 and it was very enjoyable. My daughter enjoyed the touch tanks and the staff was excellent! There is a children's room full of activities, several large tanks and science learning stations. Truly a great place! I recommend the experience to anyone with children that love marine life.

1  Thank Stephylyn1231
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We are vacationing in the area and were truly surprised at this marine science center. We were with grandchildren, ages 5 1/2 and 2 1/2, as well as our daughter-in-law, and all were enthralled with the living exhibits. There were plenty of hands on exhibits, a Ray and Shark Touch Tank, allowing those of us who were interested--the children--to reach down and touch these creatures. Another living exhibit allowed the children to hold crabs, a star fish, and other shelled fish/animals. It was of interest to all to watch the feeding of the fish. Another space was like a playroom, dedicated to the sea creatures--stuffed fish toys/puppets, a sandbox, children's books, etc. Also there were crayons, markers, scissors for fish type craft projects. We stayed 1 1/2 hours, as it was enough for the younger child. However there was more to be seen, such as Science on a Sphere. I am sure my daughter-in-law as well as son will return, as they will be here another two weeks.

1  Thank PJustine
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I took my two grandchildren on an adventure one summer day and they loved the place. They were from California and had seen larger aquariums so I thought that they would not be impressed.
It is located in a former bank in downtown New Bedford. From the moment we arrived until about 90 minutes later we (including me) had a wonderful time. My youngest one loved the chance to try all the make and take activities--- to share later with their Mom. The older one really enjoyed the touch tank and the manta rays swimming about. I pointed out all the lovely architecture in the building and was able to reminisce when I was young and banked there. The staff was not only knowledgable but very "kid oriented" a perfect learning experience for young minds.

2  Thank Charles T