“Share the knowledge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Explorium - CLOSED

Ocean Explorium
More attraction details
Owner description: A marine science education center located in the heart of Downtown New Bedford! Our education and aquarist staff take the time to personalize your experience by spending time with you and your family, answering questions and teaching you about the amazing animals that call the ocean home. A great place to spend a couple of hours, you and your kids will enjoy the touch tanks, science activities and our knowledgeable staff.
Oakland, California
“Share the knowledge!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I visited the Explorium recently with our family and I was very impressed with the level of knowledge expressed by numerous young people who we talked with us while we were there. We live in California and I commented to my husband that in our short visit here we had more interesting conversations with interns than we have had in all our visits to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the San Francisco Academy of Sciences Aquarium.

It was very refreshing to talk with young people who are learning so much about about nature and are very comfortable sharing their knowledge!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The epitome of "hands on learning"- a truly smart, detailed museum”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The ocean exploratorium is a perfect hands- on educational experience. It draws on the local environment especially- our children (7 and 4) got to learn about the creatures we see during our summers in the area. We saw an octopus take apart legos, touched a ray, used mirrors to uderstand how whale see, watched baby sharks squirm around in an embronyic sac (!) and hold sea scallops. The touch tank is great, the movies are smart and sophistocated and the crafts offered when we were there were well though out- not at all just decorate something but rather "try this and you'll understand how a whale sees" etc. We were all engaged for a surprisingly long time and walked away with a much deeper understanding of the oceans and animals nearby.
Even though weave in NYC and are in Massachusetts a few times a year we joined! We will be back during the holidays for sure.

I'm writing so much because after referring a friend they checked out this site and said it had a bad review- I couldn't disagree more.

A local must see!

2 Thank Ljmljm
Lakeville
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great place to check out”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The children had a good time here. The space they have is small, but full of interesting sea creatures and hand on activities. The staff was loaded with information and excellent with the children. A must see in downtown New Bedford!

1 Thank Amber H
Cranston, Rhode Island
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ocean Explorium IS Worth The Visit!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We just got back from a morning visit to the Explorium. The Ocean Explorium is small, aquarium like. The staff was both friendly and extremely knowledgeable. My son was actively involved in all of the exhibits, and he really did walk away with a lot of new information. Yes, it is rather small, but the staff makes it so much 'bigger'. Thank You to Jen who gave great demonstrations. Her animation and ability to talk to a wide range of ages made each child feel valued!
It's unfortunate that Jessica B walked away with a not-so-positive experience. I cannot agree with most of her opinions, but I am with her about the excess of arts & crafts tables. Hopefully there will be more exhibits in the future for Ocean Explorium.
If you're looking for an activity to do for about half a day, this is the place for you. If you're looking for something similar to the NE Aquarium or Mystic, then chances are, you will be disappointed.

Arlington, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Educational, fun 1/2 day attraction”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I took my family here when my children were 3 and 5 and they had a wonderful time looking at the animals and exploring the touch tanks. The staff were extremely knowledgeable and the world on a sphere (? not sure if I have that right) exhibit was impressive. In the back is a little activity room where my children spent at least 1/2 and hour playing and doing activities. I honestly can't understand the negative reviews here for this place. It is in a beautiful old building and it is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon or a morning. While it isn't on the scale of the New England Aquarium or Mystic Seaport, it is a great little place to take your school-aged children to learn about the sea and to instill some interest in the world around them.

Visited August 2012