“Not just for rainy days! ”

New Bedford Whaling Museum
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in New Bedford
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest museum in America devoted to the history of whaling, it houses an extensive collection of art and artifacts relating to this industry during the age of sail.Through its educational programs and activities, the Museum looks to the future by engaging children, teaching that they are part of the fabric of the community, critical to its growth, and destined to be a chapter in its history. The Museum is a forum for whale and now fishing conservation, research and symposia. Its cultural outreach extends around the world, with close ties to Japan, Portugal and the Iñupiat people at the Arctic Circle. The Museum is a compelling destination that inspires all visitors to reflect on the complex issues that shaped the past, remain critical today, and inform a sustainable future.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not just for rainy days! ”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Visited here with a couple of teenagers. There is so much to look at and if you're lucky you'll get to follow up a knowledgeable tour guide.

Stamford, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC MUSEUM OF WHALING HISTORY”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I have been to another whaling museum, but this is the most complete collection that I could ever imagine. So many photos, films, paintings, & scrimshaw to see that I wish we could have spent another two hours here to see it all. My son and I really enjoyed reading the descriptions and duties of the whaling guys on the ships who often signed on for years at sea. The exhibits make you feel like you are on a ship and everything is genuine. Do not miss this museum if you are anywhere nearby.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Roger M
Parker, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“oodles of information and history here.”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Whale skeleton, replica, Abundant early new England historical photos,paintings, timeline, and wealth information re Early Massachusetts.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sheila416
Ashaway, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must see in New Bedford!”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

I have lived in RI for 53 years and have never been to visit this fabulous museum . It was on my bucket list for this summer and have to say that I am sorry I missed it all this time. My husband and I spent two hours here but could have easily spent another hour ( our meter was expiring). Very informative, interesting museum that not only teaches about the whaling industry but also about whales. We loved it.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Marie W
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A Complete Must See---trumps the Nantucket museum”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We are local to the region and had business in New Bedford. glad we took some time to see the whaling museum because it is phenomenal. Tons of exhibits (literally pun intended): my favorites were the Bradford art and sketches, the incredibly extensive scrimshaw collection, the model ships and the overall layout of the museum. We attended with my teenaged son and he loved it as well! They offer military discount. This museum is really something that must be seen!

Visited August 2014