“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We stayed at the Kea Lani, during August, for a few days and had a great time. We arrived at the hotel just after lunch and were greeted with a lei and juice. Check-in was simple however our room was not ready yet so the attendant took down our cell number and promised to call us. We walked around the resort and up to the Shops At Wailea and got the call around 3:30pm that our room was ready.

We checked in and the room was fantastic. It had a partial mountain / ocean view which was quite scenic. The room itself was well laid out with a monstrous bathroom. We took some pictures in the hope that one day, we would have such a bathroom in our house.

A couple of things to note are that make sure you reserve in advance for dinner at Nicks. We were not able to secure a dinner reservation on the night we arrived but obtained a slot for the next night. I agree with a previous comment that the person taking pictures was a turn-off. She walked away in a storm when we did not want to purchase her pictures ($20), thanks but no thanks. Dinner was fabulous however bring some sunglasses along if you have an early reservation as the dining areas are not completely enclosed. We woke up around 8am most days and when we arrived at the adult pool, all the chairs around the pool were usually already taken up by people leaving newspapers / towels. The pool boys are supposed to take the towels off the chairs for people who vacate their seats for more than 60 mins however we never saw this happen therefore go in early and reserve your seats and then have breakfast.

All in all, a great stay and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CK007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My family and I, all 5 of us, just returned from a 6 night stay. I was concerned about the negative reviews but the positive ones outweighed them. We were celebrating our anniversary and one of our kids birthday. The resort was absolutely incredible, the service for the most part was excellent (contrary to prior review about maid service, we found it quick, timely and quite good) and the location perfect. Being greeted by name by every employee - getting an Aloha from them each time you crossed their path and always being asked what they can do to help you was quite refreshing. The prices were high but they are every where on Maui and consistent with a 5 star resort. The only negative was the lack of umbrellas at the pools - people had placed their stuff on the chairs before 6 a.m. - and the charge of $45 for an umbrella at the beach (should be free).
We spent the trip home talking about when we can return to the Kea Lani.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank martin s
Cali
Reviewed August 13, 2007

WOW...this hotel is amazing, everything from the service, front dest, activities cordinator, food, rooms, and grounds. The grounds were huge, 3 pools, plenty of room to lounge on a char over looking the ocean. After reading some of the negative comments I was a little concerned about it. The hotel could not have been any better, period. I read another comment saying the grounds are small, and the pool was small. It was larger than the Four Seasons, provided more room, a swim up bar, and many more lounge chairs. I did not use the spa or work out facilities, but I did use the beach, and pool areas and they were kept up wonderfully with incredibly nice staff. I got a breakfast package and i would recommend it. Otherwise breakfast is almost 30 bucks a person, I prefer to get it for free myself. Beyond the price, it was great, a full pot of coffee, omlets, fresh fruit, pancakes, french toast, it was great. We ate at Nicks, cafe Ciao, and the Polo Beach Grille. Nicks was incredible for the price, not as bad as I thought. IN fact, Cafe Ciao was just as bad as Nicks, and Nicks has much better food. Beautiful setting as well and views. Wailea is a great area, not too many people around, including at the hotel, and it is beautiful. I will also say that the staff was incredible...we were honeymooners and they had a bottle of champagne and fresh chocolate strawberries waiting for us in our room and gave us the best seat in the house at Nicks, for a sunset view...not only that but everyone said congrats and called us by name. The beach was incredible, crowded, but not that bad and the staff was amazing. We had plenty of room to lay out and take a few walks, sunset was amazing. Also...for activities we did the Snorkling trip at the hotel south of the Fairmont, it was nice, smaller food portions, but nice and the fish and tirtles were great, so was the staff. Also, went to a Luau at the Renicance, it was nice, overpriced, but all of them are...the prices are tough. Definately recommend going to Lahina for cheaper places, especially the Lahina Fish Co, it was OK...and even Tommy Bahama at the Shops at Wailea (Wed night live music) was cheaper and good. Do NOT go to Spago at the 4 seasons, the worst service I have ever had, we got there at 8:30 and did not get our food until 9:55, the waiter did not even get our order until after we had been there for 45 min. I would recommend the fairmont hotel to everyone, beautiful place with great service. The one time they screwed up on my final bill they felt so bad they gave me a free bottle of wine in my room!

• Liked — rooms, beach, pools, service, activities, open air, grounds, tiki's...everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ssbutler36
London
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at the Fairmont for the first week of our two week honeymoon in May 07 and unfortunately it was a fairly disappointing stay.

We arrived just behind another couple fairly late at night and while they were treated to a Lei greeting and cold towels, we were just ignored......just what we needed after a 20 hour flight from London.

Our room was large but the decoration was quite old fashioned. The bathroom was lovely but I thought the sofa's in the living room were better suited to a 3 star hotel in the Costa's. Our room constantly felt damp which we put down to the over zealous air con! We were lucky to be facing the beautiul fountains and thought we had a great spot. However, we were awoken at 4am on the first night of our honeymoon to the sound of water pipes banging as someone was showering upstairs. The next morning we told reception and the lady's response was "what do you want me to do about it?". Charming.

We were eventually moved to a room where the standard was less adequate than the room we had just left, i.e view of a brick wall and a very small bathroom!. I told reception that I did not want to stay in this room but we were then told that all of the rooms at this level were taken and we would have to pay so many hundred of extra dollars a night for the next room up. At this point I felt very let down. My husband 'expressed our disatisfaction' of travelling thousands of miles, paying $600 a night to be woken up by their shoddy plumbing on the first night of our honeymoon. An occasion we can never replicate. We didn't want a free upgrade, we just wanted a room that was the same standard as the first one, with pipes that didn't rattle at 4am! We then asked to see the manager and were swifly placed in another room with a lovely view of the sea and a lovely big bathroom.

This aside the resort was nice and big. Three pools to choose from was great, especially the adults only pool. A bit shocked at the $100 price tag for the cabana's especially as they were free at the Four Seasons. We dined at Nick's Fishmarket on our first night but were not that impressed. My husband's lobster was overcooked, however, my scallops were fantastic. We thought that the lady coming round taking pictures of couples was a little tacky for a resort of this standard and she was fairly pushy in her manner. We had lunch at the Polo Grill a couple of times which was very nice.

The beach here (Polo beach) was nice and secluded. We snorkelled just round by the rocks and saw lots of turtles, fish, eels and even a white tip reef shark. At this point I promptly swam back to shore even though I know they are really quite harmless! Be careful here though as the ocean gets very rough very quickly. On the first day I was knocked off my feet by rogue waves on several occasions. Keep an eye on any little children.

The Fairmont has all the makings of a perfect resort but unfortunatly the dated decor and our experience of appalling service on reception let it down.

We spent the second week of our honeymoon at the Four Seasons which, for $150 less a night was far superior in service levels and quality of accommodation.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank WebboLondon
atlanta
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We just returned from our second stay at the Kea Lani. We selected the Kea Lani again because we didn't want to risk staying somewhere that wasn't as nice. Unfortunately, the Kea Lani was not as nice as it was on our first visit several year's ago. First, the positives: great suites; having two rooms lets those who wake up early (me) not disturb those who prefer to sleep in (my husband), and the bathrooms are spectacular, proximity to the best snorkle spots (although Polo Beach is not a snorkle beach); a separate adult pool. The negatives: too many people crammed into too small of a space -- the beach is small; the pools and pool grounds are small (lounge chairs now cover every inch of the pool areas, including all the grass); the "gym" can accomodate around 10 people, which is too few for such a world-class hotel.

Ironically, the resort has the largest rooms, yet the smallest recreational facilities. Perhaps if it had not built the extra wing, the recreational facilities would not be overwhelmed.

The Kea Lani is probably great for families -- we took our children with us on the first visit, but I would not recommend it for couples!!

I love the Wailea area, and much prefer it to the Kaanapali area, but next time I'll stay at the Four Seasons.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — recreational facilities
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gidget_Grant
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My wife and I went to Waleia for a wedding with a number of co-workers. My wife and I stay at 4-5 start hotels in the world typically on our many travels. I'm generally a cheapskate where my wife likes living large. The Fairmont was a great value while at the same time a great experience for her. The rest of my co-workers stayed at the Grand Waleia and paid much more than we did. We also had dinner at the Four Seasons and visited the other hotels in Waleia. The best part of the hotels are the HUGE rooms (about 800SF) with separate living room. We could have had a party in the room. The other absolutely great part was the adult pool - separate from children (which we didn't bring on this trip)

Compared to these other hotels, the Fairmont was:
1. Better value especially given the MUCH larger rooms
2. Much quieter - less children - more intimate than the Grand Waleia more similar to the Four Seasons.
3. More secluded beach (Grand Waleia and Four Seasons share)
4. Better pool set-up for adults
5. Less restaurants (but nice nonetheless)
6. Much nicer "curb appeal" from the beach with large lawns

My wife and I would definately go back.

• Liked — Size of Rooms
  • Disliked — Could use more restaurants
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JoshBillings
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I put this title in quotes because I saw a review which used this sentence to describe Kea Lani a few weeks ago--have to give credit where credit is due. Overall, the hotel is a nice place, the staff is excellent--helpful, courteous and reasonably well informed and capable. It seems like there are just too many guests and not enough staff members. The food (especially the breakfast buffet) was above average and the outside grounds were fantastic--well maintained and beautiful to look at.

The wife and I came for our honeymoon in July--I must admit after spending 4 days at Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island-Kea Lani had an extremely tough act to follow--that place was INCREDIBLE. Having said that, we were immediately dissappointed when we checked in to Kea Lani--we had to wait until exactly 4pm to get into our room--that is the guarantee time, but still pretty annoying....rooms are large--furnishings pretty outdated...bed not very comfortable....carpet is old, room smelled moldy...terrace very large--view from our deluxe oceanview suite (ALL THE ROOMS ARE SUITES) was breathtaking-- but the furniture on the terrrace reminded me of my friend's pool from back home growing up (circa 1987).

The pools were warm and inviting--pool furniture once again--very dated--needs to be upgraded. Oh--and the $45 fee for the meager blue covering they call a "cabana"---just obnoxious when same service is free at Four Seasons(the wife was particularly perturbed about that)--food at the pool was subpar we thought---

The gym was disgraceful for a resort that charges what they do here---looked like my high school weight room. A few old machines and some free weights lying around---no sauna and need to pay additional $20 to use showers and steam room (unless you are getting a spa treatment)--also too crowded at some points during day that you couldn't even work out--
It appears they are opening a new and improved gym this month--good move!

other negatives:

-slow housekeeping (one day our room was not cleaned until 4pm (again, for what they charge, I think that is unacceptable)
-dirty carpet in elevators and chipped paint around hotel building

In summary--Kea Lani is a solid, second tier resort with gorgeous views and generally nice facilities. It is probably not the best place for couples or honeymooners, but good place for kids...A serious upgrade of the rooms and sprucing up of the paint, moldings, carpet, etc is in order before the wife and I will pay $775 or anything close to that to stay here again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BedHead555
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!