“Too many Issues at the Kea Lani” 2 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bend, OR
“Too many Issues at the Kea Lani”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

June 24-July 1,
This was our first trip to Maui and we had heard great things about the Kea Lani--but had read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor thinking none of it would happen to us. Turns out, we are that unlucky couple that has the list of complaints. The first day was a fiasco, and it seemed that each day, something would go wrong or we were treated poorly. We're not picky people, but we do like to be treated politely and fairly. We felt like our trip to the Kea Lani was like one of the Chevy Chase "Vacation" movies. Are you kidding me?

After a very long day of travel, we arrive at 2:30 pm, Check in is not til 4:00, but they tell us it shouldn't be more than an hour before we get in our room & no upgrades available from our partial ocean view room, wait at pool bar and have snacks. Shortly after 4, we get keys to our room. Door keys don't work to 226, bellman's don't work well, but get us in & gives us a lesson on opening a hotel door, maintenance guy sent up to fix door while we go to pool (no champagne waiting, as requested). Come back to room (5:30-ish), expecting door to be fixed, door keys don't work. Go to front desk, request assistance. Wait by room for maintenance guy to return--in wet swim suits (and luggage is inside the room). Go back to front desk when no one arrives. Assured that maintenance is on the way. Still waiting, go back to front desk for the third time, and tell them to hurry up the maintenance guy.

Maintenance shows up and tells us that they had re-programmed the lock, closed the door, and then the lock would not open. Master key lock frozen, as well. Why didn't front desk know this? Maintenance has to drill open the door, after watching him for 10 minutes or so in the hallway, he suggests to the front desk that they get us a hospitality suite, since we are still in wet swim wear. Go to front desk, pick up keys for room across the resort. Privacy Please sign on the hospitality suite door (474). Knock loudly, enter cautiously, no one in room, bed is made up, but used towels & soap in bathroom. Enjoy cheese and crackers and bottle of wine we purchased from the store out on balcony--loud party going on in courtyard below. Finally, at 7:30 pm, we call front desk and ask how the drill team is coming along on our door--room is open and ready to go. (they said they'd call us when the room was ready...maybe we just beat them to it?)

Get in room, a knock on door, given a "gift" plaque describing Hawaiian tradition and the lei. Put out Privacy Please sign so we can put our stuff away and relax after long day of travel. Phone rings at 8:30 pm "We see you have your privacy sign out, but we have an amenity for you"--sounds like "manatee". They deliver a basket of macadamia nuts, 2 sodas, chips, and also our champagne and chocolate covered strawberries arrive with a hand written note apologizing for the door key fiasco.

We encountered rude staff at the valet parking area, business center and did not receive turn down service, but 3 of the 7 nights we stayed. At the pool, we waited over an hour for the waitress to bring us our drinks--she ended up buying them for us, since we waited for so long.

Snorkel off the beach, see sea turtle, enjoy sun and surf. No complimentary water on the beach today, one guy getting beach chairs, but can't keep up with the number of people wanting them--we get our own chairs. Dinner at Caffe Ciao restaurant at the Kea Lani. Nice dinner, we requested that they take our unfinished bottle of wine back to our room with a Bananas Foster cheesecake for dessert. We arrive at our room, no wine or dessert. Wait 10 mins, call restaurant and they said they sent our wine and dessert to room 626, rather than 226. After 10 mins, wine and dessert show up. Dessert was what looked like a grocery store freezer dessert, with caramel drizzled over it, and dried banana chips.

Some of these things seem trivial, but day after day of it, you just begin to feel like an unwelcome "guest".

The office manager of the Kea Lani did call after our negative comment card was received and they offered 2 nights free to be credited back to us.

We appreciate the fact that the staff at the Kea Lani tried to make up for poor service with gifts and credits, but we prefer hotels and resorts that are proactive and don't allow a guest to have a bad experience there.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank patswife86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Korean first
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

My wife, two kids (12 & 14), mother, and mother-in-law just returned from 8 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani. There isn't one aspect of our experience that doesn't deserve an "excellent" rating. If you're looking for the perfect place to stay in Maui, this is it. What sets the FKL apart from other top end Maui resorts are its beach, villas, and service. We had booked a 2BR ocean-view villa so the six of us could stay in one room. When we checked in we were upgraded to a 3BR Ocean Front villa. Spectacular views, beautiful bedrooms and bathrooms, and a private lanai with our own pool. The breakfast buffet got our days off to a delicious start and the beach and pool areas were perfect. And best of all, every employee of the resort treated us first class. We hated to leave and can't wait to return.

• Liked — The service, beach, and comfort of the rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank LAND1
Orange, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

Our stay was from June 22-29, 2007. We arrived on an early-afternoon flight and drove directly to Wailea. I knew check-in was late afternoon, but hoped that we would be able to get into a room before 4pm. We arrived about noon, checked our bags and registered. The front desk clerk took my cell # and said that we would be called as soon as they prepared our room. We had lunch at Ciao, service was great, food was OK. We killed a 2nd hour strolling the grounds checking things out. We have stayed at the Grand Wailea but wanted to stay at the Fairmont this trip having heard good things. The grounds, pool area, landscaping, etc... don't hold a candle to the Grand Wailea, but I don't think many places in the islands do. We checked back in at the front desk at about 2pm and were told "Check in is at 4pm". At about 3:45 as my kids were melting down I asked to see a manager. She was apologetic and within minutes led us to our room, a deluxe ocean-front. The front desk clerk that I had dealt with was completely indifferent, it was obvious that rooms had been available earlier than 4pm. In fairness the rest of the staff was very good to excellent for the duration of our stay.
The hotel is clean and well maintained. The ocean view was fantastic, but I thought it was unusual that there is a condo complex close to the water that is included in your view from this property. One of the wings of the hotel would have views staring directly at this other building...
We had an excellent meal at Nick's, the premier restaurant, dinner was approx. $275 for 2 adults, 2 teens. The rest of the food at the resort was just OK. You expect meals in the islands to be expensive, but I thought $28 per person for a mediocre breakfast buffet was too much. There is a deli-coffee-bakery-little store place where you can buy small meals & snacks. You'll get a much better breakfast at Longhis if you walk (fairly long walk, or short drive) to the Shops at Wailea. The Shops, by the way, is a nice center with everything from a general store to a Tiffany's. Good breakfast, good cheeseburger-lunch-type place, swimwear, sunglass & clothing stores, Lapperts Ice Cream shop, too.
My overall impression was that with a pre-tax room rate of $775 per night, $45 per day for a beach umbrella and expensive dining & drinks the Kea Lani is a 2nd tier hotel charging top-tier prices. It is a very quiet, low key stay, not much going on. If this is what you're looking for it is a good, not great hotel. We will return to Wailea, but only to stay at the Grand Wailea which charges top-tier prices, but, at least in my mind, is worth it.

• Liked — Nice room, good views, good staff (except front desk)
  • Disliked — Food & room rates are overpriced, front desk was indifferent
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Whiz
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

Maui was our last stop on our 2 week honeymoon. After staying the Halekulani in Oahu, one can understand why our expectations were high. I will warn readers that I stay at some great hotels in the US that set my standards - Pennisula, Four Seasons and Ritz. If you are used to second tier hotels, this property will probably be great for you. If you are used to staying at the top hotels, you will be very upset what you get for the price.

The minute we walked into this hotel, I had a horrible feeling about it. It is set up poorly and the staff is lethargic, bordering on pathetic. At the front desk, the gentleman was extremely rude when checking in. Another note, I am from New York and I do not mind rudeness very much. However, this guy was really a jerk. We waited for 2 hours for the room, after being told that there were no upgrades available - without even checking. Had a medicore lunch at the pool restaurant with weak service. While there, we noticed maybe one server walking around the pool.

We booked a full ocean view room for a hefty rate and told them that this was a honeymoon trip. Once we got our room, we realized that the view was once of an ocean...45 degree BUT it overlooked a construction zone - dirt mounds and all. It was the weakest room that I have ever been put in for that kind of money. We called the Four Seasons and booked a room there. This is probably the worst part of the story...when I went down to inform them that we would be checking out, the guy ONLY said, "OK, we hold a two night deposit and we will send a bellman up to your room in five minutes." That is it! Not a question about what was wrong or if they could do something. NOTHING, just see ya.

Upon our arrival to the Seasons, they immediately upgraded our room to an ocean front, huge room and sent champagne later in the evening. The scary thing is that price was the exact same! The property is utterly beautiful and food is great. You never need to leave the grounds.

The Fairmont, however, could be fine for a large family. All the rooms are suites and they have a large water slide etc. At teh same time, if you can afford it, the Four Seasons has an amazing rec room for kids complete with a video game room.

I spent only two hours at the Fairmont and knew it was not for us. I would not recommend it to anyone, not will I ever stay at a Fairmont in the future.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank brennamt
Bradenton, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2007

We had our daughter's wedding here on the Polo Lawn. We were suppose to have it at the gazebo, but the film festival was having a cocktail party near there and we were worried about the noise, so the hotel was nice enough to move us to the lawn. I am glad they did because it was beautiful there looking out on the water. They were very helpful with phone calls through the months and never got tired of my questions! The pictures on the grounds turned out beautiful.

Stayed June 2007
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

This is my first visit to Maui, and I initially had reservations to stay at a place in Lahaina, where I thought all of the action was supposed to be (at least that's what I read in the guidebooks). My first day here I couldn't get through to Lahaina because of a brush fire that closed the highway - I hear that's not too uncommon (maybe once a year of so). At any rate, I ended up jumping hotels, from the Diamond resort to the Maui Prince and finally, the Fairmont.

Of all the places I stayed, the Fairmont was by far the locale that made me feel most pampered, which was exactly what I needed for this trip. I'm not much of a shopper, so the shops themselves weren't a big deal, but I love to eat, and I am picky about accommodations (especially a sucker for nice pools and pristine bathrooms).

The Fairmont delivered in every way - the Prince was nice, but I wasn't wild about the outdated bathrooms (think old tiles and wooden cabinets) or the pool, which was small. The Diamond resort was really nice as well (I liked it more than the Prince), but very isolated (the Japanese restaurant was barren when I was there). Their pool was also small.

It's been awhile since I've been on vacation, so I was a bit shocked at the prices for all accommodations, but when I finally let my desire for a truly nice place win out, I chose the Fairmont and am so happy I did.

• Liked — Bathrooms and pool
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed June 2007
2 Thank lizzie33
Mooresville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

Our stay at this resort was one I will remember for a long time to come. Our room was absolutely unbelievable. I don't understand the negative reviews about the dated furniture. You're in Maui -- chill out and just get over yourself.

As with the review before mine, my husband also earned this trip to Maui through an incentive program at work. We are already planning our next stay at the Kea Lani. (He doesn't know it, but I'm thinking next year!!) The staff was very helpful and accomodated us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Nick's -- you have to try the strawberry flambe dessert -- it was beyond words.

We golfed at both Makena South and Wailea Emerald. Both were challenging courses and well maintained. Wailea did have better views, but Makena's #15 was breathtaking.

The Fairmont Kea Lani was without a doubt - first class. The grounds were immaculate. The pools were exceptional. The drinks were great. What more can I say? You WILL enjoy your time here. Aloha!

• Liked — Spacious rooms and great bathroom
  • Disliked — I didn't dislike anything!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank meladd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!