“Fairmont wedding”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We had our daughter's wedding here on the Polo Lawn. We were suppose to have it at the gazebo, but the film festival was having a cocktail party near there and we were worried about the noise, so the hotel was nice enough to move us to the lawn. I am glad they did because it was beautiful there looking out on the water. They were very helpful with phone calls through the months and never got tired of my questions! The pictures on the grounds turned out beautiful.

Stayed: June 2007
Write a ReviewReviews (4,733)

Reviewed June 30, 2007

This is my first visit to Maui, and I initially had reservations to stay at a place in Lahaina, where I thought all of the action was supposed to be (at least that's what I read in the guidebooks). My first day here I couldn't get through to Lahaina because of a brush fire that closed the highway - I hear that's not too uncommon (maybe once a year of so). At any rate, I ended up jumping hotels, from the Diamond resort to the Maui Prince and finally, the Fairmont.

Of all the places I stayed, the Fairmont was by far the locale that made me feel most pampered, which was exactly what I needed for this trip. I'm not much of a shopper, so the shops themselves weren't a big deal, but I love to eat, and I am picky about accommodations (especially a sucker for nice pools and pristine bathrooms).

The Fairmont delivered in every way - the Prince was nice, but I wasn't wild about the outdated bathrooms (think old tiles and wooden cabinets) or the pool, which was small. The Diamond resort was really nice as well (I liked it more than the Prince), but very isolated (the Japanese restaurant was barren when I was there). Their pool was also small.

It's been awhile since I've been on vacation, so I was a bit shocked at the prices for all accommodations, but when I finally let my desire for a truly nice place win out, I chose the Fairmont and am so happy I did.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank lizzie33
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Our stay at this resort was one I will remember for a long time to come. Our room was absolutely unbelievable. I don't understand the negative reviews about the dated furniture. You're in Maui -- chill out and just get over yourself.

As with the review before mine, my husband also earned this trip to Maui through an incentive program at work. We are already planning our next stay at the Kea Lani. (He doesn't know it, but I'm thinking next year!!) The staff was very helpful and accomodated us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Nick's -- you have to try the strawberry flambe dessert -- it was beyond words.

We golfed at both Makena South and Wailea Emerald. Both were challenging courses and well maintained. Wailea did have better views, but Makena's #15 was breathtaking.

The Fairmont Kea Lani was without a doubt - first class. The grounds were immaculate. The pools were exceptional. The drinks were great. What more can I say? You WILL enjoy your time here. Aloha!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank meladd
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I booked the Fairmont for my wife and I to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I must say this was the best trip we have ever had together! The Fairmont is absolutely beautiful, the staff was friendly, the food was excellent, and the pools are exquisite. If we return to Maui, we will definitely be booking the Fairmont again. It also helps that Maui is beautiful and we had perfect weather the entire week we were there. If there are any negatives, it would only be the expense of staying at this property. Nick's is very good, but pricey. The food that you can order by the pool is also quite expensive. One great option if you are trying to manage your food budget is to eat breakfast and lunch at Cafe Ciao Deli - while still expensive not nearly as much as the main restaurant. The Cafe is right by the adult pool so it is easy to walk to the Deli and get your own food and drinks.
Overall, I think the Fairmont is a good value for the money - after all, you expect your vacation to be expensive if you choose a 5 star property!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Fairmont Kea Lani is a beautiful resort in Wailea. Service is outstanding! Quiet rooms and beautiful surroundings. All rooms are suites with a huge bathroom and small refrigerator/microwave bar area. Pool area is fabulous and beach area is good for snorkeling too. Self parking is free. I would highly recommend this resort. Check out the hotel website for specials. Our plane did not leave until late at night and they have complimentary hospitality rooms for you to shower and clean-up. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa L
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Like the previous reviewer, I was recently at the Kea Lani due to an incentive that I earned through work. My wife and I were there from June 17-22, and we had a great time! In all honesty, this review is tempered with the fact that we did not pay for this trip, which may have made me less picky??? We stayed on the 3rd floor in an oceanview room, and it was "updated" and huge. My wife said that she woke up every morning, walked out on the huge lanai, and said "another day in paradise". We were treated very well by a knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Let's face it - the place is beautiful, but it should be for $600+ a night! Be prepared for EVERYTHING to be expensive... $19 hamburgers at the grille by the pool (not including cheese?).

We ate banquet style with our group at each meal, and the food was excellant. We did not eat at Nick's, but chose Mama's Fish House on the North Shore for our "expensive" meal ($100 lunch for 2 w/ no drinks). The scenery at Mama's just can't be beat and the food was great!

To sum it up, if you can afford it, it is a gorgeous place. But if were my tab, I would never pay this much. At $600+ per night, it makes my Marriott timeshare look like an even better deal!

Another FYI - If you are going to stay here, join the "President's Club" at the "Fairmont.com" website. It costs nothing, and you get a free daily paper, hi speed internet, and discounts in the Fairmont store.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank OhioCounseller
Reviewed June 19, 2007

My husband earned a trip to Maui through an incentive program at work. We have been to other Hawaiian islands, but this hotel definitely made this a trip to remember. Our room was like a small apartment. I did not feel the furnishings were dated, instead providing a relaxed and comfortable feeling to the suite. The kitchenette area was great for storing food and beverages bought elsewhere, as food is quite expensive at the hotel.

It was wonderful to be pampered while poolside with ice cold washcloths and fresh pineapple throughout the day. We did question the location of the waterslide near the swim-up bar. I guess it allows parents to enjoy the bar and watch their children at the same time? There were also some annoying insects around the pool mid-afternoon...take bug spray!

We went into one of the villas to check it out! The bedrooms, bathrooms and living area were comparable to those in our room. There was a complete kitchen, SMALL pool and a grill; items that would be nice for an extended stay.

All of the little "extras" made this hotel special. Watch for the "changing" carpets in the elevators, the a.m. running station, and island history with the turn down service.

We're saving our money to go back on our own someday!

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank umichmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!