“THE way to stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ludington, Michigan
“THE way to stay!”
Reviewed June 19, 2007

My husband earned a trip to Maui through an incentive program at work. We have been to other Hawaiian islands, but this hotel definitely made this a trip to remember. Our room was like a small apartment. I did not feel the furnishings were dated, instead providing a relaxed and comfortable feeling to the suite. The kitchenette area was great for storing food and beverages bought elsewhere, as food is quite expensive at the hotel.

It was wonderful to be pampered while poolside with ice cold washcloths and fresh pineapple throughout the day. We did question the location of the waterslide near the swim-up bar. I guess it allows parents to enjoy the bar and watch their children at the same time? There were also some annoying insects around the pool mid-afternoon...take bug spray!

We went into one of the villas to check it out! The bedrooms, bathrooms and living area were comparable to those in our room. There was a complete kitchen, SMALL pool and a grill; items that would be nice for an extended stay.

All of the little "extras" made this hotel special. Watch for the "changing" carpets in the elevators, the a.m. running station, and island history with the turn down service.

We're saving our money to go back on our own someday!

• Liked — large room, bathroom
  • Disliked — swim up bar/waterslide area
  • Stayed May 2007
1 Thank umichmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmount Kea Lani for our honeymoon at the urging of my aunt who owns a travel agency and raved about the Fairmount. I'm a lawyer ,my husband an engineer. We had the money to stay at the Four Seasons and we wanted the very best for our honeymoon. The Four Seasons was in our budget and we seriously considered it, though my aunt kept swearing we'd love the Fairmount. I was nervous about going with the Fairmount because I knew the Four Seasons was rated as the number one property on the island. I was made even more nervous by the reviews of some people here. But let me tell you, we loved the Fairmount from the moment we arrived. We chose a suite rather than a villa because we'd just spent a fortune on our wedding and didn't want to dig that hole deeper. We still wanted something higher end, but not over the top expensive.Our room was spectacular. The lani is enormous -- stretches the length of the entire suite from bedroom to living area. It has a chase lounge, full-size dining table and four chairs (we ate multiple meals out there). Ocean views as far as the eye could see with views of the pool and torch lighting ceremony below at night. The bathrooms are just amazing -- marble everything and bigger than most people will see in a hotel. The cleaning staff was fantastic -- everything was always clean and tidy every day. The rooms were quiet -- we never heard people on either side of us. The food at the resort was good, and they have a cafe/store where we often bought and split a hot sandwhich for lunch, or a salad, brought it back to our room and ate on the lani. The staff is amazing -- they do everything you would expect at a high end resort -- set up your chairs on the beach, lay out your towels, set up the umbrella. Even the younger staff was courteous and friendly. The lobby is beautiful -- ocean views from the minute you arrive. Comfortable chairs by the bars. Great location on the island. We had no complaints about the rooms. We cannot say enough good about this resort! We were thrilled that we saved the extra money by staying at the Fairmount instead of the Four Seasons -- we didn't feel we missed out on any luxuries. It gave us that much extra spending money to blow on shopping (The shops at Wailea, ladies,) or dining out and entertainment. Do yourself a favor and find the Waterfront restaurant near the Maui Ocean Center. The best seafood in Hawaii -- hands down; Zaggats agrees. It's a hidden little place, but has stellar service, the most delicious ways to prepare your fish, and charming views of the boats docked oceanside. They also have several non-fish choices. The Seawatch is seconds down the road and it's a well priced restaurant with breathtaking views of the ocean and golf course -- good breakfast food. Enjoy your stay at the Fairmount and feel good that you're not paying what the guy next door is for the same thing! Even our beach was nicer! And closer! Bravo Fairmount for a fantastic first week of our honeymoon! Thanks!

• Liked — The bathrooms were fantastic, and the lanis were huge
  • Disliked — The resort restaurants were a bit over priced for the quality of food -- but still good.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lawlass
UK now LA
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We have just returned from an amazing week in Maui staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani. Rooms are very large, plenty big enough for us and our two girls aged 6 and 3. Recommend a King suite with the children on the sofabed and a rollaway. Privacy for all and the housekeeping staff set everything up and clear it all away in the morning. All staff were very attentive and service was excellent at all times.

Yes everything is amazingly expensive at this hotel. You even have to pay $30 a night for the rollaway. This was definitely our most expensive family holiday to date but if you want a luxury holiday where everything is done for you and you are surrounded by beautiful grounds, a fabulous beach and great restaurants at the hotel and in nearby Wailea, then this is the place. We spent the first day being a bit shocked at the price of everything but decided we just had to forget that and enjoy ourselves. If paying $8 for a fruit smoothie by the pool offends you then none of the five star hotels in Wailea are probably for you. Poolside cabanas are $100+ per day but they are still fully booked every day! If you get up reasonably early (by 8.15) you can still get a good spot with an umbrella for free!

We walked along the beach and checked out both the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. Four Seasons grounds and pool are no match for the Kea Lani and Grand Wailea was just too busy with sunbeds in rows as far as the eye could see. Kea Lani grounds are spacious set back a little from the beach. We felt we definitely made the right choice.

Good trips with the kids are the Tropical Plantation and Iao Valley. You can do both in a day easily. All our kids really wanted to do was stay at the pool and beach. We went to the Luau at the Marriott which was very good and is just a 15 minute walk along the beach path or a 2 minute trip in the complementary hotel shuttle. Also recommend Blue Hawaiian Helicopters (leave the kids with a nanny from the Nanny Connection) for an unforgettable trip across the crater and to Hana. It's just as spectacular as the road but without the 5 hour car journey!

I woule have to struggle to find any negatives. The elevators could do with some new carpet and some of the paths around the pools would benefit from good clean with a pressure washer but that's about all I can think of.

Already checking availability for next year and can't wait to go back to Maui and the Fairmont Kea Lani.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — Prices!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank HolidaymakerUKnowLA
New York City
Reviewed June 7, 2007

My sister and I spent a week at this hotel last fall, and I've told people that it probably spoiled me for any other hotel on the planet. I was actually surprised to see any negative reviews; however, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. My only quibble with the FKL is that it should have more choice as far as restaurants are concerned. Other than that, our suite was lavish and comfortable; I could probably fit most of my NYC apartment in the enormous bathroom; service was fast and competent; the lobby was incredibly beautiful; and everything was immaculate. Food was definitely expensive, but we found that buying a couple of casual meals at the ABC store in the Wailea shopping mall was a cheaper alternative than the deli in the hotel. We didn't rent a car, so the Cadillac service back and forth in the area was a delightful perk that we didn't expect. In short, we loved it and I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Spacious suite, gorgeous grounds, beautiful lobby
  • Disliked — Nothing! Loved it all!
  • Stayed November 2006
4 Thank NewYorkCityTravelFan
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 30, 2007

My family has stayed at the Fairmont many times over the last several years, and I'm sorry to say it's gone a bit downhill since our first visit about eight years ago. Back then, this place was the epitome of luxury. We were in awe of the pristine white buildings and lush green grounds, and the rooms were impeccably appointed with gorgeous furniture and marble bathrooms. Kip, who greeted us on our first day there, was one of the most personable and helpful bellmen we'd ever met.

On our most recent trip last summer, however, we were less than impressed. The grounds are still beautiful, but the accomodations leave much to be desired for such an expensive hotel. We booked two rooms, a deluxe ocean view suite and a regular ocean view suite. Oddly enough, the "deluxe" ocean view barely had a view at all due to some overgrown palm trees. After numerous calls to the front desk and two room switches later, we finally got the view that was promised (which was quite lovely). But the rooms themselves are definitely dated - in particular, the furnishings and wall treatments are in dire need of an upgrade. Also, the elevators consistently smelled musty and we did not experience the outstanding customer service we had become accustomed to in years past.

Overall, it was by no means an unpleasant stay, but certainly did not showcase the excellence we'd come to expect from the Fairmont brand. This summer we're trying our luck at the nearby Wailea Beach Villas, which are less expensive and seem to have most if not all the amenities of the Kea Lani. Stay tuned!

• Liked — location location location!
  • Disliked — rooms are very dated
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank nicatnite81
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I stayed with my family at the Fairmont Wailea May 4-7 while on a stopover to Japan and Korea.

Wailea is the most expensive area in Maui, and for good reason. The quality of most of the hotels is very good the area is very well kept
and upscale. Nonetheless, the thought of paying over $450/night for a non-oceanview room made me nervous. I was traveling with two other adults and a six month old infant. So a large, comfortable room was a top priority.

I must say that the Fairmont was great. The room itself is over 800sq
ft in size and feels like a small apartment. The bathrooms are great with two vanities that make getting ready for multiple folks fast and
efficient. I agree with other reviews that the furniture is a little dated, however the beds were extremely comfortable and what's important for me, the room was SILENT. I could not hear anything once the main door was closed. As an indicator of the quality level, the door weighed a ton, likely being the reason for helping keep the room absolutely quiet. In the three nights I was there I could not here a peep from my neighbors

The grounds were beautiful and since we are not a group of people who spends much time in the room, saving $150 by getting a gardenview
as opposed to oceanview room was OK by me. There are multiple areas to hang out by the pool and the walk to the beach takes less than five minutes.

Overall, though expensive, the Fairmont delivers and I would definetely stay again.

8 Thank pacifichopper
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We went to Maui for our 3 year anniversary and we decided to spend one night at the Fairmont. We stayed there when we got married, and thought it would be nice, even if it was for just one night. We were greeted by the valet who took our car and the overzealous juice lady. She offered us leis and juice and while we were checking in she "sidled" up to us (scared the crap out of us) and offered us more juice. Matt checked us in and we had mentioned that it was for our anniversary and imagine our surprise when he mentioned that he upgraded us. We had originally booked a partial ocen view and we got upgraded to a deluxe ocean view! Yay! We had to wait for a little while for our room to be ready, no biggie, we went to the pool bar for lunch. They called us when our room was ready. Danny was the bellhop who was so very nice and he was the same bellhop who assisted us 3 years ago! Our room was wonderful! Beautiful view! I headed out to get my spa treatment and the hubby headed out to the swim up pool bar....We reconvened at around 6 and we had champagne waiting for us from the hotel in our room! Thanks Fairmont! A little later, all of housekeeping showed up to give us a nice picture frame. We got room service (a tradition of my hubby and I, one night we splurge and get room service). All in all, the Fairmont treated us very well and one day we will stay more than one night. I promise! Thank you Fairmont, for providing us with a wonderful memory!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank princess214
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!