$482
  • Restaurant
$846
$599
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $738/night.

$319
$299
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $334/night.

$1,295
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $1,614/night.

TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
4,999 results
All reviewsko restaurantcafe ciaosuite hotelnick's fish marketcanoe experienceadult poolfour seasonspresident's clubswim up barbreakfast buffetupper poolliving roomour honeymoontwo sinksocean viewtop notchwalk in shower
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I just got home from a family of six holiday. I am suffering from jet lag but I wanted to write. I stayed there 8 nights on a pool view room/suite. Did not witness one bug at all anywhere. My daughter goes into spasm at the sight of a bug. Highly recommend the pool view walk out levels rooms. They are simply fabulous. The condos look amaziing too with the tiny immersioin pools. The whole hotel is spotless. The staff eager to bend way over backwards to make you happy.

Did I mention trade winds....It was way way warmer in Chicago and we didn't miss that at all as we were enjoying our Chocolate rum smoothies at the swim up bar.

Note at the pools-go directly to the pool boys and they will get you a spot at the pool. They make sure that the chairs are being used by people at the pool at that time. We would swing between the pool and the beach and we just let them know and they would watch things for us.

Highly recommend the surfing. First -what to wear for surfing lessons: Important-wear rash guards that cover your whole arm. For bottoms where the border shorts that come down to the knee if you can get it. You know that whole look of Billibong. From football we used under armour. The boards are styrofoam and they scratch as you are learning to work the board. You might come away with mean little rashes. Otherwise, buy it at ABC cheaper. My daughter who is a swim team strong swimmer-was up and on her board in one hour. I opted for the private lesson. Shop around and find the company that will pick you up and drop off. Make sure you get what you pay for-these surfer boys are good but unorganized.

Your kids will love this........trust me on this.

I believe that these two properties are neck and neck in ratings. I would choose who ever had the best deal for your needs.

Side Note: My latest top and best hotel is the Fairmont Orchid. We spent four nights there staying in garden rooms with amazing views of mountains and golf courses. Left there wanting to do more but had to pull our selves away kicking and screaming. This is a classy and simply elegant hotel that has been lovingly cared for. The volcano tour rocks.....in more ways than one....Do a combination of the above hotels mentioned and you will be happy you did.

Food is expensive. Try sharing meals and having salads instead. It's too hot to stuff yourself. The Safeway on the Pilani free way down the road has a good selection of wines and beer and mixers. The Kea Lani has a refrigerator so that way you can save. Your decks are wonderful to sit out on at night and soak it all in. Price for that nothing....

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Need2ski2
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Having just spent 6 nights at the fantastic Kahala Mandarin Orinetal on Oahu, I was a little disappointed the Kea Lani on Maui.

Overall, the hotel is very nice, with large suites, a private beach, decent pools, including an adults-only infinity pooi but there was something extra just missing to make it exceptional.

It was probably the quality of food in the restaurants that let it down. Although ok the food didn't match the 5* billing. In Oahu we found ouselves returning to the hotel restaurant night after night because it was so delicious. In the Fairmont however, we walked along the coastal path to the other hotels in search of something superior and generally found it. Still a very nice place to stay but with slightly better food this could be fantastic.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Travel_Hack
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Just arrived back from a week at the Fairmont. I am pretty picky when it comes to resort hotels and this was a bit of a flier as I had no real knowledge of this property. I have stayed at over 10 resort hotels in Hawaii so I have a pretty good idea of what works. The Fairmont worked!
Our family of five stayed in a private villa so the accommodations are unfair to compare, however, our good friends stayed in an ocean view standard room so we were able to witness the spacious room there. Not plush and a bit dated, but very spacious. Our villa was wonderful. Location was ideal (center area of villas is my recommendation), view extraordinary (don't pay extra for ocean front, our ocean view was just as nice), and service ideal. We took advantage of the food buying service for villa guests so our room was well stocked with provisionals. We also took advantage of the Fairmont President's Club perks (golf club free rental, free internet service, etc.)
The service and friendliness of staff here is top notch. The facilities are spotless and the beach and pool area are wonderful.
A couple of observations:
1. The cabanas must be reserved and they must be reserved way in advance. I tried 3 weeks prior to arrival and had no luck securing them through "the waiting list".
2. Money talks here as it does at any high end establishment. If you really need something, you must be prepared to "take care of the messenger".
3. If you need to communicate prior to arrival, do so directly with whatever service department that is involved, and, get their personal names. Two messages sent through our travel agents "concierge" service fell on deaf ears and we had no real proof of receipt or compliance.

All in all, a top notch resort and one we will visit again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank trojanking
Reviewed July 26, 2006

The Fairmont Kea Alani is truly a great, but very expensive hotel. I would highly recommend it.

Positives
Great Service
Great Beach
Great Room
Quiet
Nicks

Negatives
Pool is not as great as other Hawaii Hotels
Wailea is a little sleepy
Pool was cold!

We stayed here in May and upgraded to one of the 2 bedroom villas with a private plunge pool. This condo is very nicely furnished and big. We were travelling with our 3 kids (6/4/2) so the extra room and plunge pool were nice. The villas could use a better view deck but other than that they are great. They are spendy however at over $1500 per night.

The grounds are nice but not like the Grand Wailea, the banana jungle was fun and the beach is nice.

The service at this hotel is perfect. Check in was a breeze, pool service is good, Nicks is great and we're seafood snobs being from Seattle.

Really my only complaint with this hotel other people may find a bonus. It's a quiet, sleepy place that is a little boring for my tastes. The pool area is nice by mainland standards but is small by Hawaii standards. The waterslide was great for our 4 and 6 year old but would be slow for older kids. The pool area is very quiet. There is nothing in Wailea but the Shops at Wailea, which is very boring. Kihei adjacent has more to do but is a little sketchy so we avoided. All in all Kanaapali has a lot more going in if you are looking for more things, people seeing, etc. Wailea is much nicer though.

All in all if you are looking for a quiet, 5 star hotel I can't think of a better place.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank mike1318
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Just got back from 12 days at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. I read a LOT of the reviews before I went and frankly was a bit nervous about this place based on some of the things I read. But I have to say we had a phenomenal time at this hotel, and we were there for 11 nights. First we asked for a complimentary upgrade to an Ocean View room which we got. We were greeted very warmly by the hotel staff and throughout the trip they were extremely friendly. Our room was great. Very clean , and always had plenty of towels, soaps, blankets, etc. Anything we needed we got.

The place is expensive - but everytthing we did in Maui was expensive, and frankly for the size room we had I think we got a relatively good deal. We decided to park our own car and buy our own liquor, which saved us hundreds of dollars. We ate out a lot at more local places. While the food at the hotel was really good, the prices, like at all the hotels, were a bit ridiculous. I have to say that Nick's was awesome though.

We loved the beach area - very friendly help there as well and the snorkeling was great. The pools were always nice and did not seem that crwded although there were a lot of people staying at the place.

If you golf you HAVE to try the Wailea Gold and Emerald courses. Amazing.

All in all a fantastic trip. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. My frineds recently stayed at the Wailea Beach Resort and they did not say as many good things about their stay as I have to say about mine.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family