Just returned from staying 7 nights and we will not be going back to the kea lana for the following reasons:
1. Our "ocean-view" room for which we were paying $630/night was facing a neighboring condo complex with only a view of the ocean if you leaned out over the balcony. We switched rooms after check-in to get a pool/ocean view room.
2. The room smelled funny but we couldn't place where the smell was coming from (smelled like poo or vomit at times). We finally determined that the smell was coming when you sat on the couch in the living area, and it was on our clothes as well. Apparently, someone had either vomited or gone to the bathroom on the couch (probably a child) and it was never properly cleaned, so there was a lingering odor everytime you sat on the couch. We had them actually exchange the couch for another one, but the replacement, although clean from smells, had numerous stains on it (don't venture to guess what those were). Can't believe that a "5-star" hotel would let something like this happen, very disgusting. Felt like a Days Inn.
3. The room service is over-priced and the food just isn't that good.
4. When dining down in the Cafe, my girlfriend asked if they could make her some chicken noodle soup and the waiter replied that they could but it might take 10 minutes or so. After about 20-30 minutes, they delivered her soup and after tasting it she realized it was nothing more than Campbell's soup from a can. When we questioned the manager, he said that the waiter should have told up about that (which he didn't), whereupon when we questioned the waiter, he made up some story about how the chef messed up, and they had to run out and buy some Campbells soup, but they wouldn't charge us the $15 for it. Come on, is this a luxury hotel or a Motel Six!
5. The sink in the bathroom didn't drain and when the maintenance guy came up to unclog it, there was tons of hair stuck in the drain (not from us).
6. The carpet, furnishings, bedspread are all original (at least 10 years old), smelly and need to be replaced or upgraded (the pillows are hard as rocks).
7. They charge you extra for everything (parking, pool shade, beach umbrellas), absolutely riduculous given what we were paying for the dirty, smelly, room.
8. This hotel is probably more suited to families with young children, not for romantic couples looking for nice rooms and accomodations.
On our last day, we walked over to the Four Seasons and it was like night and day, that is the place we are staying on our next visit. Other than that, our day excursions to Kaanapali, Hana, Moma's Fish House for lunch were awesome. We just didn't look forward to returning to this "2-star hotel at best" each evening.
Apparently Fairmont bought this place two years ago, and I guess they decided to get the most out of the room furnishings and not invest much money into sprucing the place up. It is a worn hotel and needs a major facelift. It felt like more of an Embassy Suites than a five-star luxury hotel on Maui. Be forewarned...book at the Four Seasons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the essence of Maui at Fairmont Kea Lani, Hawaii's only all-suite and villa luxury resort. Nestled on the golden sands of Wailea's Polo Beach, this award-winning oceanfront paradise redefines luxury with a state-of-the-art spa, island inspired cuisine and authentic cultural experiences. Fairmont Kea Lani is the ideal island getaway with four unique restaurants, three swimming pools including an adult-only pool, a comprehensive fitness and wellness program and unrivaled access to the best adventures across the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Fairmont Hotels, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Kea Lani Maui Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Maui
- Fairmont Wailea
- Wailea Fairmont
- The Fairmont Kea Lani
- Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui Wailea