“Restaurant suggestions”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 15, 2006

5/8-5/15 stayed at the Kea Lani. Stop at Costco as you pull out of the airport and get water, cereal etc... this was really a nice option. They have coffee in the room so you can have breakfast on the balcony. Dining at the hotel was good, mai tai's are best in Maui. The swim up bar has was nice for the guys to watch baseball and still feel like you're in the islands. If you are going to eat a nice breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I would highly recommend going to Seawatch (a five minute shuttle ride from the hotel). The view of the water and the grounds (it's on a golf course overlooking the ocean) is great. We had amazing eggs benedict for $11 which was the avg of most items. Very reasonable compared to $27 buffet at hotel. We wish we would have gone here several times for breakfast. We did also have lunch one day and it was very good as well. Sarrento on the beach is really good and you can reach out and touch the waves! They have a photographer w/ the option to buy your photo (they take it on the beach) which is a nice touch. Rent a car and go to Lahiana for the day. Great shops and worth the time! Alli Nui was a very nice sunset cruise for adults! We also had dinner at Spago's and it was very good (red curry my fav). My husband had a great lomi lomi massage at the spa. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank kmuller
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Reviewed May 9, 2006

I just returned from a week long stay at the Fairmont. My parents treated my fiancee and I to the trip and we were all staying in the same suite because the hotel said that the suites comfortably slept 4 adults. While the hotel did in fact have a sofa-bed, it was the worst and most uncomfortable sofa bed I have ever slept on (hard as a rock, our feet hung off of it at least 6 inches, smaller than double bed, etc.) We ended up moving the "mattress" onto the floor after the second night. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed, and the lanai / balcony was a good size too.

Hotel grounds are beautiful and well maintained - everything is lush and tropical. Kids are everywhere... except at the adult pool which was peaceful and had attentive poolside service. Poolside food and drinks were good, but of course overpriced (like every nice hotel). Cafe Caio offers a slightly cheaper alternative and has an assortment of food and beverages (we got breakfast there some mornings - coffee, yogurt and bagels).

The biggest downfall of the Fairmont is the Spa Kea Lani. It is very obvious that the spa was an afterthought at this resort. It is in a space designed for a retail shop, and, as such, it is extremely small and lacks the features that one expects at the prices they charge and at a resort of such prestige. There is not even a relaxation room to wait in or relax in before or after your treatment. The locker rooms are VERY small and the whole spa only has around 7 or 8 treatment rooms. My mother and I also went to the Four Seasons spa (right next door) and this spa charges around $10 less per treatment and has a much better facility. If you are interested in having a spa treatment, I would highly recommend the Four Seasons spa over the Kea Lani. The spa at the Grand Wailea (the soon to be Waldorf Astoria) is also very nice, but it charges $30 extra for non-guests.

Don't miss out on Nick's Fishmarket - one of the best meals we had in Maui, and they same owners have a place down the street called Sarento's, which was also very good.

Overall it is a great resort and we had a great stay.

Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank DCJamie
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We just returned from our trip to Hawaii, where we had stayed 4 nights at the Kea Lani. Upon arrival we were told that our rooms were not ready. This was checking in around 3:30pm. We were aware that check in was at 4:00 and wanted to get a drink and a bite to eat anyway. We were told that they would call us when our rooms were ready on our cell phones. We went to find some food and beverage, but had to walk all the way to one of the pool bars, as all the other places were not open until 5:00pm. (But most of the staff there did not know this for whatever reason). It took forever for the food to come out. There were birds everywhere eating scraps of food and making things very messy if you know what I a mean. I ended up with bird poo all over a jacket and purse. And that was trying to keep it sheltered!!!!

We get our room and it was nice. However, when I pay over a certain dollar amount I expect to have a mini-bar available. Maybe I'm in the minority on that one. The accoustic ceiling was very dated. We all ran our feet into the big lip on the sliding glass doors there OUCH!!!! The fan click clacked the entire time, bed and pillows were not comfortable. Bathroom, was nice and big. We also had a hard time with the internet acess, but lucky for me I travel with a spare ethernet cable and was able to plug into the wall.

There were what seemed like a million kids on the property. We had indeed traveled with our son who I signed up for the Kids Program for two of the four days. He enjoyed it very much, the staff was great with the kids. And it was a nice break for him to be able to hang out with some kids his age and expend some energy!!! It was also nice for us as we were then able to indugle in a few spa treatments for my husband and myself.

The spa was small, the treatments top dollar. They and the facilities were not worth the price. I have had much better for less.

The food was not great either, and we did leave the property to eat all of our evening meals. However we did do the breakfast buffet every morning....which wasn't great but was included in our package.

The staff was hit or miss...just like in life.....

We will never stay at this hotel again. And I now never have any desire to stay at another Fairmont property. I will spend my travel dollars elsewhere.

17  Thank Sweetbear
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Subject: Maui
Location: Maui, United States, North America
Title: A great resort
ID#: 4244887

In early November 2005, my wife and I began our Hawaii vacation by
arriving at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui. From the moment we arrived,
we were blown away with this resort.

We were immediately told that our car would be taken care of with the free valet service. At the front desk, we were given a cool towel and tropical juice. We received a room upgrade (without asking) to a fantastic corner suite with a gorgeous wrap-around balcony (lanai?). Every resort worker was genuinely warm and friendly. The resort grounds were beautiful and uncrowded. Several corporate functions proceeded in beautiful areas separated from vacation guests. We were surprised to learn that we received all of this service before they even knew that we were members of Fairmont's Presidents Club.
Overall, this was a memorable treat.

9  Thank jskar
Reviewed April 20, 2006

This is our 3rd trip to the Kea Lani with young kids. The hotel is a great destination for families, plenty of room for the kids to run, but not too big to feel you are at a conference hotel.

The rooms have been remodeled and are very comfortable. The pools are perfect for kids and adults alike. The pool side staff is very attentive and helpful. If you want to rent a poolside cabana, be sure to call well in advance of your visit.

The service is among the best at any hotel, with a major exception being food service. Room service is painfully slow, if the order is even correct. Pool side service is even slower. And Cafe Caio is a true execrice in patience. I am not sure why they cannot get this right, bringing in your own food to your suite is cheaper and much faster. That said, Nick's Fishmarket is excellent. Quality of food and service.

We will be back... and stopping at the grocery on the way in/

7  Thank feeshmonCA
Reviewed April 12, 2006

We had such a wonderful stay here last year that we booked it again this year for six nights. This experience was by far the worst of any hotel we have ever had, except for a previous stay at this resort several years ago. We kept trying and now we finaaly learned to stay away.

I called this resort a few weeks befoe we arrived just to find out what section of the hotel we would be in. We like a quiet area and suggested that. They gave us a Kilohana signature suite. I was told that we were in the 01-02 section, which is a Kilohana. It was an upgrade but not worth the $700 a night we paid even for an ocean view. Upon check-in we got some real attitude from the woman at the front desk. We have always found them to have an attitude even if you are very friendly. We aksed her what room we were in and she said she had an ocean view for us. My husband and I just looked at each other. I told her that I had called previously andI was told we were in the 01-02 suites.She became flustered. She asked us what room we had last year and we told her we were in a kilohana room 401. She then decided SHE was going to upgrade us to the kilohana. I aske d about my husband smoking a cigar on the lanai and she nastily told us that "there IS NO smoking in the kilohana suites". I asked when they changed the policy and she said it had been that way for quite some time. hhmmm...he smoked on the lanai last year and they provided the ashtray.

We asked to speak to the rooms director. After an hour he appeared. We asked him why the front desk had us booked into an ocean view instead of the kilohana we were told we were going to get. He had no idea why she would say that because he blocked off our room personally. We decided to sit in the lobby lounge so my husband could have a cigar before going for a drive until our room was ready. We got there VERY early as we needed to escape from the Kapalua floods. We wern't expecting to get an early check-in. At about 11:30 the rooms director came out to us and told us that the guest had checked out a little while ago and that our room would be ready in 1- 1-1/2 hours. He put a rush with housekeeping on it. He told us to be discreet with the smoking. We were ready to take a nice ride but decided to go get lunch and then get to our room. We came back from lunch about 1 1/2 hours later but the room still wasn't ready. We waited for another 1/2hour and asked to see the rooms director again. When he finally appeared he said it should be ready any time. Another hour went by and we were steaming by this time. We asked to see him again. He actually told us that the guest that checked out had gone back to his room to lounge around! If he put a rush on the room, why did houskeeping wait for two and a half hours before going to clean the room? We travel enough to know that once you check out your room key is invalid. Allrighty then, are they going to play us for stupid? We finally got to our room at about 4:00 PM (not 1 minute before check-in time)

Last years room was decorated in nice, pretty, bright florals. This room one floor down was all in very dark green and dark mustard colored rug. It was dreary. We went out onto the lanai and noticed that it was very sticky. You could see where juice or soda hadn't been cleaned up. When we went back inside our feet were literally black on the bottoms from the lanai. That was gross enough, but my husband went to open the bathroom door and there was a lot of a sticky substance on the edge of the door. eewww!

The noise was intolerable. The place was full of conventioners and thier families. These kids were animals. The people above has their kids playing on the lanai, screaming and yelling as early as 6:00 AM. They were actually dragging the furniture on lanai this early. The people downstairs had at least two babies screaming most of the time. We had kids in the hallway playing basketball in front of our door and we had parents watch as thier little monsters played and splashed people in the adult pool! I realize that the suites doors are very heavy but all we heard day and night was slamming doors. I mean hard slamming. The resort really should fix the doors.

I had gotten hurt going out onto the lanai because the slider has a 3-4" lip on it (i am not used to the old fashioned sliders like these) I tripped and cut and bruised my toes and twisted my back. I didn't say anything to anyone about it. I asked for a heating pad about two days later and they asked what happened. I told them and they were all hush, hush from then on. I am not in the habit of suing people and I was rather the clutz, but it would have been nice if the manager would have asked if I was OK.

We asked to be moved because of the noise issue. He was going to put us in back of the Polo Beach Club. We decided to leave at this point. We went elsewhere and had a wonderful stay without any complaints.

My warning is that if you are not a conventioner with family in tow or a family of eight then you may want to go elsewhere. I don't know what happened this year. We had the most wonderful stay last year. We will never go back again.

13  Thank eightydegrees
Reviewed April 10, 2006

My wife and I were able to enjoy the beautiful Fairmont Kea Lani Hotel in Maui from March 26th-30th. The rooms are all suites. Our garden-view room still had a glimpse of the ocean. Entering the room, there is a foyer with wet bar, fridge, and closet to store luggage. Straight ahead is the well appointed living room, with sofa, chair, coffe & end tables, TV, stereo, DVD & CD.
Immediately to the right is the door into the master bath, which has both shower and bath tub, double sinks, and beautifully done in marble. The bedroom accesses the bath from the opposite end, and the king-size bed was very comfy. There is a double lani, off both the living room and bedroom.
We found the staff to be professional & helpful in every way. The food is excellent, and the lounge bar affords great views of the grounds and the ocean in the distance. Between the main hotel & the beach is a cluster of small executive beach cabins (?), each with their own mini-swimming pool. Boy, those units must be spendy! Two swimming pools are on property, one for adults only. There is a narrow paved walking path along the beach, that allows you to walk north, past many of the other Wailau properties. Be careful if you choose to take the walking path, as it is narrow, and used heavily by joggers! The Fairmont is a beautiful property. Enjoy!

8  Thank RLFord
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!