“Perfection”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 23, 2005

My husband, two children and I stayed at the Fairmont Maui for five nights. In our opinion, the Fairmont has set the standard. Elegant, comfortable, never pretentious perfection. The grounds are stunning. The restaurants outstanding. The service exceptionally friendly and accommodating. The rooms are almost too nice...we had a hard time leaving each morning! We can't wait to return. When we left the Fairmont for our five evening stay on Kauai, we only wish we could have taken the hotel with us.

9  Thank Maryandfamily
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed July 21, 2005

Spacious, 800 sq foot suites. Excellent, attentive staff. Do not miss the pricey spa services. Well worth the price to leave all the Mainland woes behind. Onsite food is expensive, except for the breakfast buffet. Do not miss the macadamia nut sticky buns. Within walking distance of the Shops at Wailea, where you can get everything from a Tiffany bauble to a juicy Hamburger in Paradise. Beautiful walking path along the ocean between the neighboring resorts. Free outrigger canoe ride early in the morning.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2005

We loved our stay in the Kea Lani. We split our trip 5 days in Kannapalii and 4 days in Wailea.We checked into "White Heaven" July,13. Our suite was a corner suite and absolutely beautiful.Our bathroom was huge.Our room was not a refurbished one but the decor was very nice. I would not recommend this hotel for a summer honeymoon there were tons of kids which was great for us but I would not like it if I were on an adult trip. I loved everything about this resort the service was great for us maybe if you are friendly people are friendly in return.I found the service to be excellent. This is a beautiful property my favorite time was at night they light torches everywhere it is so romantic, I was surprised by negative reviews. I would give this place a 93 out of 100!

8  Thank Felicia S
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Just got home from our stay from 7/4/05 - 7/14/05. This is a great family vacation hotel because of the suites. We have 2 children ages 6 and 9. We had a moderate room with a view of the front grounds, room 353, for $385 night - don't forget the extra $40 tax per night (approx.) which added about an extra $400 to our bill.

The staff and service were excellent - housekeeping always arrived promptly as did engineering (we had a small problem with the stereo).

The carpet needed changing out in our room and the air conditioner was a little too loud but other than that I have no complaints about the resort. I did request a renovated room when we checked in and was told that the moderate suites had not been renovated yet - not sure if that is true or not.

There are 3 pools (1 adults and the other 2 for everyone). The 2 for everyone are on two different levels with a water slide connecting the 2 pools. We all liked the water slide. Yes, if you want a chair right by the pool get there really early but we never had a problem getting a chair because there are plenty of grassy areas with palm tree shade that we liked better.

We ate at Nicks one night and had reservations the food was very good as was the service. If you are a light eater an appetizer is enough for an entree. Our last night on the island we decided to eat at Nicks impromtu. First we went to the hotel lobby bar and ordered drinks my husband had already been to Nicks and they said yes they could accommodate us. We went back down in the 5-10 min. that they said but we weren't allowed to enter the restaurant with our drinks. It turns out the restaurant has nothing to do with the hotel and only leases the space, they have separate liquor licenses and you can't bring a drink into Nicks. For about 30 min the hostess kept telling us a table would be ready in 5-10 min. At one point when I checked on our table she said "...oh yea no reservations." with an attitude of how dare we expect to eat here without reservations. They finally sat us in a booth behind the bar (my husband said these booths had been open the entire time) it is so hot in this part of the restaurant that we left. They said they could not accommodate us with another table. Note this is an open air restaurant and unless you are sit outside or very near you will not get a breeze - no air conditioning. That second night I thought the hostess had a rather rude attitude. If you want to eat here make reservations before you leave home. We ate at Cafe Caio in hotel and same prices as Nicks.

If you are going to spend the money for Nicks you may want to consider David Pauls we went there one night (yes we had reservations) food is outstanding as is service and about the same price as Nicks.

Kehei Cafe is a good place for breakfast and lunch and very reasonable prices. Great huevos rancheros with homemade salsa. We also ate at Stella Blues in Kehei and an Italian place Aroma de Italia all were good but left hungry from the Italian place entrees were on the small side and not inexpensive.

If you go to Lahaina and love pizza you have to eat at BJ's great deep dish.

We ate at the breakfast buffet one morning but $80 for breakfast for 4 is a little steep for me.

After staying at the Fairmont I would agree that it is probably not the best place for honeymooners.

A word for families unless you kids just love ocean swimming (mine don't) I won't take mine back to Hawaii for a long time there just isn't enough to do on the island for the kids and we picked Maui over Kauai because we thought the kids would enjoy it more. Personally my kids would rather have gone back to Disneyworld.

7  Thank texasaggie84
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2005

I had high expectations for the Fairmont Kea Lani. We booked 5 nights several months back for our honeymoon.

While the resort does have some things going for it, there were some issues that I think are worth mentioning. Hopefully this will help some of you couples that may be planning a getaway.

Pros:
- Rooms are all suites so you can expect to have spacious accomodations including a living room area, and a wet bar.
- There is an adult pool area to get away from the chaos of the kids pool.
- Decor is simple, yet tasteful.
- Upon arrival, you are greeted with juice, a lei, and friendly bell service ready to take your bags off your hands.
- In general the service was good. There was one time that we called ahead for our car and they lost our request. The poolside service was decent. All in all, I'd rate the service a B (some of the front desk, and concierge staff had chilly attitudes).

Cons:
- Resort has clearly made an effort to accomodate families with children. This can be a con for those of you that may be looking for a little more solitude. Since we were there in June (school just getting out)...it seemed that there were many, many families with small children on vacation. While the resort does have an adult only pool, you can hear the screaming and yelling from the kids pool from time to time. If I were a parent, I would be excited to have a high quality resort such as this cater to me like this, but as a honeymooner...it was a let down.

- The rooms located on the lower levels (K, M) have somewhat of a musty smell. Our room was nice, but I did get the feeling that it was an older room that had been refaced. There was a basementish odor about it that contributed to this feeling.

In the end, if we were going back to Maui as a couple, I'd think about the Four Seasons in Wailea. We walked through their resort and it seemed a little more quaint, and relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2005

What a wonderful resort! My family and I went for a week in June, 2005. We flew in on an early flight from Los Angeles and when we arrived, our suite was not yet ready. (We, admittedly, arrived hours before the stated check-in time so the hotel was not at fault.) We were given cold water and leis - flowers for my husband and me and candy ones for the children - and spent time exploring the grounds and Polo Beach. When our room was finally ready (suite #670), it did not disappoint. It was towards the southern end of the building - facing west - a deluxe full ocean view ($665/night). Beautiful! We loved having the separate bedroom so that the kids (who slept in luxury in there!) could go to bed but we didn't have to. The pull-out in the family room area wasn't amazing - but it did suffice. We were so tired most nights that we could've fallen asleep on the floor! The lanai was gorgeous and we used it often. We ordered in-suite dining 2 days for lunch and the food came quickly and was really, really good ($53 for 3 of us one day and $75 for 4 of us another). Housekeeping was always friendly and came when we called and requested service while at breakfast. The nightly turn-down service was great too - they'd turn down the kids' beds and set up the pull-out for my husband and me as well.

While my husband golfed at Wailea one day, I decided to take the kids to the Keiki Lani kids camp from 9 until noon so I could enjoy some quiet time to myself. Bonnie was wonderful and the kids had a great time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any parent with little ones.

The spa was nice. I had a lomi lomi massage one day and a citrus scrub another. The facility is decent - the waiting room isn't very large, though, and ended up with standing room only at one point. Too - the steam room (which I usually enjoy before a treatment) was the loudest I'd ever been in and there was no ice water or chilled towels for those of us using it. This isn't a necessity, obviously, but it's a small thing that would've made the experience more enjoyable for me and it is done - I've seen it at half a dozen other resort spas in the past few years. The massage technicians were both great - very courteous and skilled.

We had breakfast daily at the Kea Lani Restaurant. The breakfast buffet ($26 for adults and $10 for kids) was incredible. The kitchen was very accommodating and never hesitated to help and/or send the chef out when we had a question about something. (My son is Autistic and on a wheat and dairy free diet so we have to check labels and verify ingredients often.) The terrace is gorgeous and the perfect way to start a day in Maui. We had lunch at the Polo Beach Bar & Grille one day and it was great. We did not have a chance to eat at Caffe Ciao but enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Nick's one evening. There couldn't be a prettier spot on the property!

We were not able to enjoy the adult pool as we had our 5 and 6 year olds with us - it certainly looked lovely, though. There never seemed to be a shortage of chairs. The main (kids) pool was always fairly busy but - again - we never had problems finding a chair or two. The slide was fun and the children (as well as their Father) enjoyed the shallow-end basketball net! We enjoyed many a lava flow by the pool and the servers were always quick and friendly. The pineapple slices and chilled towels were much appreciated as well. Cabanas (that fit 2 lounge chairs and a small table, I think) were available for $75/day I think but we didn't feel the need for or use one.

The beach - ahhh - what can I say about Polo Beach? We absolutely loved it. The attendants were always more than willing to help drag chairs through the sand for me and we spent hours upon hours enjoying the sand and the surf. It's a great little beach. We did not do it this time (but will on our next visit!) - but they had boogie boards available for rent - $9/hour or $20 for the day. There were umbrellas available for rent down there as well as chairs with "hoods" to protect you from the sun.

We did not have any complaints whatsoever and I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to even my pickiest of friends. We are hoping to go back next year and enjoy time in one of the villas!

17  Thank OnlineMom
Reviewed July 6, 2005

We just returned from the Kea Lani for our honeymoon. I did much research on the hotel and Maui before deciding on where to go. We decided to do 5 of our 10 nights at the Kea Lani and the first half at the Kappalua Villas (next to the Ritz).

Negatives:

(1) We had to wait almost 2 hours to get our rooms "ready". They told us they would call us when it was done, finally almost 2 hours later, my husband had to go ask the front desk what was taking so long and they finally had it ready....when we did arrive to our room (which was a Deluxe Ocean Front), there was some else's bags in our room. SO, we had to go all the way down to the front desk again and tell them there's someone else's belongings in the room. The front desk girl tells us the room is ours, but they need to move those bags, which belong to another guest to another room. The original guests in that room decided they wanted to upgrade. Well, when we did get to our room, it was nice, clean, spacious, all what you expect at a 5 star resort. However, our ocean front room was not really ocean front. So again we went to the front desk and asked them why we didnt get the room we're paying for and to the hotel's standard we did have deluxe ocean front...but we were facing the Four Season's villas as well as the ocean, so honestly we felt we did not get our money's worth on the room itself!

(2) The concierge's desk was a joke. The attitude at the concierge's was not helpful, but rather half --- when you asked them to do anything (i.e. my husband asked if they could give him some change...so we can tip the valet...but the response he got was "the front desk can give you change". the front desk had several people waiting in line to check in and out but the concierge's didnt have anything else to do)

(3) The pools are average at best, nothing spectacular....seen better pools at my friend's backyards!

(4) Service over all was a 4 out of 10. I dont feel they go above and beyond what they should at a resort area like this. I felt like the service was like a Holiday Inn (at best!)

Positives:

(1) The food was good, not great, but good. It is not that expensive considering you're at a resort and in Maui.

(2) The valet and bell desk service was great, that was the only service at the hotel worth praising. They actual gave the island hospitality that lacked everywhere else on the island!

Over all I am not a person that gets hung up on 'status' or '5 star' places, but I do expect a certain level of service and quality when I do pay for these things...and the Kea Lani did not give us that quality service one should expect. The resorts in Waiela in general was not that great, we went to the Four Season's, Grand Waiela and they weren't anything spectacular either.

MAUI IN GENERAL:

As I mentioned, we did stay at the Kappalua Villas (next to the Ritz) and those villas were great! We had a 2 level ocean front (real ocean front, literally we can walk up to the beach...so beautiful!) 1 bedroom, 2 bath villa. This was far less costly than the Kea Lani and 100 times better! Also, the Ritz was beautiful, the resort was amazing and the service and food was great! We should have stayed there after our stay in the villas, instead of the Kea Lani!

As far as food....we ate at almost every single resturant in Waiela and nothing was worth really mentioning except for Longhi's. The food at Longhi's was great, espeically breakfast....which we ate next to Magic Johnson & family...very nice guy! We had been there during the Waiela Movie Festival so a lot of Hollywood was there. Roy's in Kiehi was OK, probably the next best to Longhi's.

In Lahiana we loved Aloha mixed plate, cheap & good! Can't go wrong with korean bbq! I'O is where we had our reception dinner (on front street) and I'O is the BEST food we had while in Maui. The food, service and atmosphere was excellent! Definately recommend I'O as the place to try dinner during sunset...as they have an ocean front view outside for lunch, dinner or drinks!

We also went Parasailing and did the helicopter ride around the island, which was both very fun! We wanted to go horseback riding but those book quickly, so do it a few weeks ahead of time!

Road to Hana...I'll pass! We did do this, but it is not for those who dont like looong car rides and are not really into 'nature'. Yes there are beautiful waterfalls, and the seven pools are nice...(they were closed when we went so we didnt go in..too bad! as that was what was motiviating me to end of the ride) and the black sand beach....nice, but not 'sand' more like lava rocks!

All in all, Maui was nice....although we found it boring sometimes (being we're in our early and mid 20's)....more ideal for families or older couples. The food was nothing amazing, we've had better in Oahu and the locals were not as friendly as they are in Oahu....next time we'll be in Oahu or Fiji...Maui maybe in another 10-15 years when we dont want much of a night life or fun!

16  Thank Foodiegrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!