We just returned from the Kea Lani for our honeymoon. I did much research on the hotel and Maui before deciding on where to go. We decided to do 5 of our 10 nights at the Kea Lani and the first half at the Kappalua Villas (next to the Ritz).
(1) We had to wait almost 2 hours to get our rooms "ready". They told us they would call us when it was done, finally almost 2 hours later, my husband had to go ask the front desk what was taking so long and they finally had it ready....when we did arrive to our room (which was a Deluxe Ocean Front), there was some else's bags in our room. SO, we had to go all the way down to the front desk again and tell them there's someone else's belongings in the room. The front desk girl tells us the room is ours, but they need to move those bags, which belong to another guest to another room. The original guests in that room decided they wanted to upgrade. Well, when we did get to our room, it was nice, clean, spacious, all what you expect at a 5 star resort. However, our ocean front room was not really ocean front. So again we went to the front desk and asked them why we didnt get the room we're paying for and to the hotel's standard we did have deluxe ocean front...but we were facing the Four Season's villas as well as the ocean, so honestly we felt we did not get our money's worth on the room itself!
(2) The concierge's desk was a joke. The attitude at the concierge's was not helpful, but rather half --- when you asked them to do anything (i.e. my husband asked if they could give him some change...so we can tip the valet...but the response he got was "the front desk can give you change". the front desk had several people waiting in line to check in and out but the concierge's didnt have anything else to do)
(3) The pools are average at best, nothing spectacular....seen better pools at my friend's backyards!
(4) Service over all was a 4 out of 10. I dont feel they go above and beyond what they should at a resort area like this. I felt like the service was like a Holiday Inn (at best!)
(1) The food was good, not great, but good. It is not that expensive considering you're at a resort and in Maui.
(2) The valet and bell desk service was great, that was the only service at the hotel worth praising. They actual gave the island hospitality that lacked everywhere else on the island!
Over all I am not a person that gets hung up on 'status' or '5 star' places, but I do expect a certain level of service and quality when I do pay for these things...and the Kea Lani did not give us that quality service one should expect. The resorts in Waiela in general was not that great, we went to the Four Season's, Grand Waiela and they weren't anything spectacular either.
MAUI IN GENERAL:
As I mentioned, we did stay at the Kappalua Villas (next to the Ritz) and those villas were great! We had a 2 level ocean front (real ocean front, literally we can walk up to the beach...so beautiful!) 1 bedroom, 2 bath villa. This was far less costly than the Kea Lani and 100 times better! Also, the Ritz was beautiful, the resort was amazing and the service and food was great! We should have stayed there after our stay in the villas, instead of the Kea Lani!
As far as food....we ate at almost every single resturant in Waiela and nothing was worth really mentioning except for Longhi's. The food at Longhi's was great, espeically breakfast....which we ate next to Magic Johnson & family...very nice guy! We had been there during the Waiela Movie Festival so a lot of Hollywood was there. Roy's in Kiehi was OK, probably the next best to Longhi's.
In Lahiana we loved Aloha mixed plate, cheap & good! Can't go wrong with korean bbq! I'O is where we had our reception dinner (on front street) and I'O is the BEST food we had while in Maui. The food, service and atmosphere was excellent! Definately recommend I'O as the place to try dinner during sunset...as they have an ocean front view outside for lunch, dinner or drinks!
We also went Parasailing and did the helicopter ride around the island, which was both very fun! We wanted to go horseback riding but those book quickly, so do it a few weeks ahead of time!
Road to Hana...I'll pass! We did do this, but it is not for those who dont like looong car rides and are not really into 'nature'. Yes there are beautiful waterfalls, and the seven pools are nice...(they were closed when we went so we didnt go in..too bad! as that was what was motiviating me to end of the ride) and the black sand beach....nice, but not 'sand' more like lava rocks!
All in all, Maui was nice....although we found it boring sometimes (being we're in our early and mid 20's)....more ideal for families or older couples. The food was nothing amazing, we've had better in Oahu and the locals were not as friendly as they are in Oahu....next time we'll be in Oahu or Fiji...Maui maybe in another 10-15 years when we dont want much of a night life or fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the essence of Maui at Fairmont Kea Lani, Hawaii's only all-suite and villa luxury resort. Nestled on the golden sands of Wailea's Polo Beach, this award-winning oceanfront paradise redefines luxury with a state-of-the-art spa, island inspired cuisine and authentic cultural experiences. Fairmont Kea Lani is the ideal island getaway with four unique restaurants, three swimming pools including an adult-only pool, a comprehensive fitness and wellness program and unrivaled access to the best adventures across the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Fairmont Hotels, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Kea Lani Maui Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Maui
- Fairmont Wailea
- Wailea Fairmont
- The Fairmont Kea Lani
- Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui Wailea