“Amazingly Wonderful”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazingly Wonderful”
Reviewed March 22, 2005

I recently stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani for 8 nights with my family. I cannot stress how amazingly wonderful the hotel is. The rooms are very large and very clean. The beds have feather beds on them so you will sleep great. Every room is a suite so you have a HUGE patio, a large sitting room with TV and DVD player. The bathroom is massive with walk-in shower and a nice baththub. The service is also wonderful the chambermaids clean the room 2-3 times a day for bed turn down and towel replacement. The grounds of the hotel are great. There is a huge lagoon pool with swim-up bar and slide for kids to play on. Then there is an adults only pool if you need to get away from the yelling. Plenty of chairs everywhere to sit by the pool or if you want to sit in the grass under the trees. I have to say that for the value it is the best on the island. Rooms way bigger then four seasons and the grounds are WAY better. Also the beach area is huge and the chairs down there are nice too. Nick's fishmarket is good but over-priced. The concierge's are very competent and eager to help. I would stay here again in a heart beat. After reading a review from this website I requested to get the newer renovated rooms and they are magnificent.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Korean first
Appleton, WI
Reviewed March 15, 2005

The Fairmont is truly a 5 star resort! The rooms are beautiful and well appointed with everything a vacationing couple or family needs including fridge, stereo, DVD, couches, balcony furniture, huge bathrooms, incredible showers and tubs! The grounds are immaculate, service impeccable, food delicious and staff personable. Every concern was addressed with tact and style (not that there were many). I would suggest the Fairmont for honeymooners, couples, and families alike.

• Stayed January 2005
18 Thank bbbapp
NC by way of NJ
Reviewed March 14, 2005

We stayed at the Kea Lani for our honeymoon in August 2004. Upon arrival, we were greeted with Lei and fresh guava juice. It was great. The architecture of the hotel was amazing. I dont agree with other reviews that the Moorish architecture did not fit the hotel. It had dome shaped ceiling and marble floors, which reflected a lot of light.

We were upgraded to a corner suite with a wrap around balcony. We were however, disappointed that the room wasnt on a higher floor as we ended up having a view of another hotel. The suite was AMAZING!!! It really makes one feel special. They turned over the room 2X a day and had fresh orchids on the bed. The suite always smelled fresh after they clean it.

The maid service was way above average. They were very pleasant and attend to your every whim.

The one negative thing about the Kea Lani was their beach. They have a TINY beach area.

We got a honeymoon goodie basket courtesy of the marketing director with wine, chocolate covered macaroons, macadamia nuts, brownies, chips, water etc.

Overall, the Kea Lani is definitely worth every penny. It is the best hotel in Maui and probably costs the most as well.

If I were to go back to Maui, I'd probably want to stay at the Four Seasons or the Grand Wailea since they have a larger beach area.

• Stayed August 2004
10 Thank travel_junkies
Reviewed March 6, 2005

We were nervous about the "embassy suites" comments in other reviews, as we had rooms in the NON-renovated section. While the room decor was average, it was absolutely reasonable in all cases, and the bathroom seemed far far above what I'd expect in an embassy suite. We had two rooms in the cheaper portion of the hotel, and have ZERO complaints to lodge about the rooms themselves, we would happily return, and we're picky. Walked thru the Grand Wilea (which seemed like "vegas" meets hawaii), and the Four Seasons (which seemed like "country club" meets hawaii) and were extremely satisfied we ended up at the Fairmont.

Things, especially food, can get expensive(sandwiches were $10 at the deli, poolside burrito was $18), but with a small fridge and a toaster we bought for $14 at Longs Drugs, we had virtually all of our breakfasts and lunches in our suite and never felt like we were being dumb with our money. Another surprisingly expensive thing were the spa treatments... I didn't expect a bargain, but $190 for an 85 minute massage is, well, aggressive.

We had wonderful dinners out, and would strongly recommend the "Pacific Grill" at the Four Seasons (a 15 minute walk) for dinner or brunch. Both were terrific and the service was remarkable. We took a 21 month old baby here who was reasonably well behaved, but the staff was incredible. Recommended.

Pools and slides were fun for the kids and parents... True there isn't much shade in the area, but we never rented a cabana or anything and didn't have an unpleasant time at all. Plenty of umbrellas were around.

Final notes: Reasonable snorklening is off the north end of the beach. It turns fantastic as you swim north towards the four seasons. Don't be afraid to explore the outer reef a bit, you'll find turtles! Concierge desk at the hotel was fantastically helpful.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani on our honeymoon in June 2004. I was just daydreaming about our trip when I remembered that I never wrote a review. Before booking the trip, I looked at several reviews on this site (most of which were good, but some that were scathing). And after staying there, I'm not sure how anyone could have posted a bad review. I loved every minute. The staff was friendly and helpful (especially the activities person who helped us book our bike trip and luau). Our suite was spacious and the view was spectacular. It was so nice to have a refrigerator so we could grab a quick yogurt and fruit before heading out for the day and to have a bottle of wine chilling for our return.

My only gripe was having to pay extra to rent a beach umbrella daily. Considering the room rates, I don't think that's too much to ask. But, as soon as a waitress came around with eucalyptus-scented cold towels and free fresh pineapple, I forgot all about the umbrella.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
easton, ,maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2005

We stayed at the Kea Lani from January 28-31st........too short of a time. Our check in person, Yumi, was so sweet and managed to get us a corner front room on the fourth floor with a wrap around balcony since we were celebrating our 40th anniversary. We could sit on the balcony and watch the whales. Took a complimentary canoe ride one day right off the beach out front. Had a great time at the swim up bar (Polo Bar) with Dane and all the people we met. Enjoyed being served fresh pineapple at the pool also. The breakfast buffet was extensive and tasty. We ate at Nick's Fishmarket the night of our anniversary, and they gave us a wonderful spot. Service and food were outstanding. After dinner we returned to our room to find a bottle of champagne compliments of Dane and staff. We also received a beautiful picture frame. Turndown bedtime service every night included goodies. We felt so pampered. This is a very special place that we will never forget. Try it if you go to Maui.

10 Thank stumpie
Calgary
Reviewed February 20, 2005

My wife and I are both Fairmont President's Club Platinum members. So when it comes to Fairmont hotels our standards are quite high. Other Fairmonts we've visited include Fairmont Orchid, San Francisco, Turnberry Resort and Spa, Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs, Vancouver Airport, Waterfront, Hotel MacDonald, etc. Having looked towards our Maui vacation since last October, I was not expecting anything extra after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. In fact, I didn't know what to expect. We were there January 29th, to February 5th.

Well, the Fairmont Kea Lani has replaced the Fairmont Banff Springs as our favorite hotel. I still appreciate the Banff Springs, as we were there yesterday for brunch and a couple of massages. But, the Fairmont Kea Lani was something else. It was exceptional.

When we first checked in we were greeted with leis and juice, and we were pleasantly surprised that the Fairmont Kea Lani accomodated our request for a Deluxe Ocean View at no extra charge. When we entered the suite, the view was breath taking as there was a panoramic view of the ocean from the sixth floor. In addition, we could see Molokini from our room, and frequently whales. The ensuite was nicely appointed. Every detail right down to the coffee tables were interior designed. Even the lamps were ornate Hawaiian. The room was luxurious. Kea Lani means 'heavenly white', we thought we entered into a little bit of heaven.

The Kea Lani greeted our first night with turn down service, and a complimentary cheese h'ordourve / breads amenity. In addition, they provided us with a box of treats with a letter from the General Manager thanking us for our patronage.

During our stay, we took advantage of complimentary Taylor Made golf club rentals. Both my wife and I are not avid golfers, but the golf bag was leather, and they provided us with tees, towels, club covers, etc as well as clubs and drivers. We looked like pros on the course, at least fashionably. The club rentals are complimentary if you are a member of president's club, and its' free to sign up.

We also took advantage of the breakfast package every morning. The buffet was very nice, and you can quickly get what you want, and its' always fresh. The breakfast package is $20 per person, and that includes tax, and gratuity. I notice the savings to be about $20 per day between two people.

Nick's Fish Market is a 'must' do. Incredible service. Highly recommended is the 'Ahi', the 'Mahi Mahi', and the Lobster tails. We went there twice.

One thing about real estate in Wailea. It is expensive. A Villa next door to Kea Lani ocean front runs 5 million a piece, and you get a 2400 square foot condo, in a R-4 building (two levels, with two condos per floor). An ocean view villa runs 4 million a piece. We checked out another neighbor building condo on the top floor about 1,100 square feet, and that condo was 4 million fee simple. Compared to Westin, Hyatt, Mariott (in Kaanapali running $350US per night for a parking lot view, half the size of a suite at Kea Lani), the Kea Lani is very fairly priced. Compared to Grand Wailea ($650 US per night) for a Premier Garden View about 500 square feet, you can get a deluxe ocean view suite at the Kea Lani and you get 840 square feet + lanai for the same price per night. Embassy Suites I've noticed is also mentioned on trip advisor as well, and as they are nicely appointed (i've seen them too!), Kaanapali real estate prices is about 1/3 what Wailea is. The Fairmont was not congested. It was rather peaceful and quiet. It just seemed whereever we went in Kaanapali and Kahana, there were tourists everywhere, and hotels there were congested.

We appreciated the hotel as a family oriented place. There is the kids' pool, water slide, koi ponds, water falls, as well as an upper family pool and an adult pool. The beach is nicely accessible, and has no coral. You can literally walk in 200 feet and stand in the middle of ocean. Beach furniture was fine.

It was so relaxing at the Kea Lani, that we are now expecting our first child. That's what a romantic place can do, as we have been trying for about 7 months now, we were pleasantly surprised.

We went out for a private canoe ride scheduled on a wednesday at 9:15 AM. The canoe riders came back around 9:45 and unfortunately we could not go at that time because of previous commitments. But my wife wanted to still go, so I contacted concierge and told them about what happened. Next thing we got was a phone call from 'Mark' the front desk manager apologizing for the lateness. Mark said he'll see what he can do. Canoe rides go only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Friday we were going out golfing and we would be leaving Saturday. So the management arranged a private canoe ride for 9 am Thursday. Our guides Peter and Rick (Peter the shuttle driver), were taken off their duties to accomodate us on this private canoe trip. Hats off to the Fairmont for doing this, because they didn't have to do this, and it was apparent that they rarely readjust employees schedule to accomodate. Peter and Rick were native Hawaiians and they described the history of the island and canoe. We also encountered whales within 100 ft. We were so close, I was afraid that they whales would tip the canoe or something. Not to worry, Peter and Rick has done this hundreds of times. My wife and I left them a nice tip.

Mark (front desk manager) also got us a couple of complimentary tickets to the Skins Game at Wailea golf course. We attended on Saturday and watched Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson... All I can say was wow!

To top off our trip, the Fairmont Kea Lani gave us a guaranteed 5 PM late checkout (late checkout is guaranteed for platinum members, but 5 PM? unheard of). I also need to mention that we received complimentary internet access, and used about $200 in complimentary dining certificates while at the Kea Lani. These certificates were included in our fpc Platinum Package. Valet parking was included with the room, so it was convenient to have our convertible pulled up at the lobby, and the service was always prompt.

Overall, the trip created memories that will last our lifetime. Namely, because my wife is now pregnant (not the hotel's fault). kudos on the staff and Fairmont for an exceptional property and exceptional service.

33 Thank tttong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!