“Absolutely Fantastic”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Simpsonville
“Absolutely Fantastic”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

This resort is absolutely amazing. The views are breathtaking, even better than we imagined. The service is exceptional. Everything we did on the resort was wonderful from Ciao Caffe to the in room dining. The Spa services were also wonderful!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Bval323

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is the third July 4th week we have spent at the Kea Lani. Maui is our favorite island. If you haven't been to this island, give it a try. The Fairmont is absolutely beautiful! The rooms are perfect if you have kids- we only have one, but it could accommodate more. The bedroom is private with access to bathroom, 2 nice closets, plenty of dresser and room to unpack and feel at home. The sofa in the living room pulls out to a full-size bed. We asked the first night to have an extra comforter, as our son felt like the sofa mattress was a little uncomfortable. Housekeeping brought the comforter, extra pillows and blankets up immediately. I even left a note the next morning asking housekeeping for some other pillows other than feather pillows, and sure enough, when I returned that afternoon, I had additional [pillows, just as I had asked. I also applaud housekeeping for coming to check on our mini-fridge. I did not think it was cooling very well. A man came up to check it, tried turning it to a cooler setting and then said, "I'm going to have a new one delivered to you right away." And within 15 minutes, we had a brand new, much cooler refrigerator. The pool area is large and enjoyable. We never were at the adult pool, but it is beautiful and does not seem crowded. Waitstaff by the pool came around often enough to make sure you are served, but not so much that you feel bothered. The beach is not too crowded (see other note below about beach) and has fabulous area for snorkeling and paddle boarding. We did try paddle boarding, but were not very successful at getting the "stand-up" part down. The only regret I have there is that you are charged by the hour, and we only lasted 30 minutes max. Wish they charged by the half-hour, especially if you are like us, and don't know what you are doing. However, it IS very convenient to have access to all kinds of equipment.
I walked every morning. I noticed that the resorts like the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons had WAY more people at their beach, which they seem to share, than the Kea Lani.
Make sure you call ahead and get booked to go out on the resort outrigger canoe. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but take my word, that you won't regret it! (Don't wear your cover-up-it will get wet.)
The bathroom is wonderful!! Double sinks, large shower, nice soaking tub, and separate water closet!! At one point, all three of us were in there together getting ready to go to dinner, and it was not crowded at all (hint for those of you with teenage girls...several can get ready at one time.:)
The room also has a microwave and bar area (I thought before there was a sink in the bar, but could be wrong) and the already mentioned refrigerator. The rooms have had what the resort calls a "Soft Remodel" and things do look nice.
Our balcony overlooked the pool area and the view was stunning.
This was the first time I have ever done Yoga, ever. The instructor, Rose, was great! She checked on me and all the participants to make sure everyone was comfortable (as much as you can be in yoga) and was very sweet. Yoga classes are complimentary, along with a variety of other classes! It was fun and I felt great after my week. Yoga classes are Tuesday through Saturday, each day is a different focus.
Tips:
Enjoy the delish coffee in the Lobby early, early every morning.
Don't valet, it costs $25/night. Self park is close and easy. Parking lot is a bit tight, but unless you are driving a large car (Suburban) is shouldn't be too hard.
Become a President's Club member- lots of pecks come with that, including free wi-fi.
Get a Safeway card, and either shop there or at Wal-Mart (WM won't sack your purchases, unless you buy their re-usable bags). Buy some laundry detergent and make use of the complimentary washer/dryers. I came home with very little laundry to do:)
We ate breakfast in the room most days, or went to Denny's. (And BTW, Denny's has a great "value menu".)
If you like to snorkel, the concierge will set you up with some amazing trips. Go for the one that goes out earliest.
Overall, I really can not tell you anything negative about the Kea Lani. I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Maui. We love it as much the third time, as we did the first!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in the 30's, like 432, etc. for fabulous views.
10 Thank luv2goaggie
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Aloha and thank you for returning to The Fairmont Kea Lani for the 3rd time over 4th of July weekend! We're thrilled that you had an amazing stay and enjoyed all the resort has to offer. Thank you for sharing your very detailed review and the many tips for future guests. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon. Best wishes!
Elk Grove
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'm very pleased with my decision to stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani during a recent vacation to Maui with my three daughters. I've been to Oahu thrice, the Big Island once and this visit to Maui was something I had been planning for years but was always intercepted by plans to go elsewhere. I was determined to make sure this trip would be what we needed at this point in our lives as we wanted some help with healing from the loss of my husband and their dad last year. The resort hotel did not disappoint us. It was luxury all throughout the facility and the service was second to none I had ever experienced. They had a gorgeous adult pool where guests respected each other's need for privacy and quiet. I had the best 90 minute lomi-lomi massage I ever experienced in their spa's poolside cabana with the natural sounds of the ocean waves, wild birds and fresh island breeze. After the massage, I understood what people meant when they refer to Maui as having a lot of positive energy. There is also access right at the back of the hotel to a nice beach where they provide just the right touch of amenities (umbrellas, free first hour rental of snorkeling equipment). The food at the restaurants, lobby lounge, poolside and room service were also outstanding. And although we did rent a car, we were still able to avail of their shuttle service to restaurants and other nearby beaches. The most amazing thing was when I left a bag after checking out and before I even realized my oversight upon reaching the airport, the bell services staff had already called me and left a voicemail message on my cell. They sent the bag through a cab driver after we spoke and I got my bag in half an hour at the airport without a glitch. Amazing! Fairmont Kea Lani, we will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

5 Thank Amela U
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Kea Lani is beautiful from the time you pull in the front driveway. Service is excellent from the front desk, concierge, valet people and staff all over. Special thanks to the valet staff that were always so helpful with towels, waters, directions and suggestions! We are a family of 5. Kids are 10, 7 & 5. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with 2 sliding doors out to balcony. Love having a Keurig in the room. Microwave and fridge are perfect for the food and snacks we got at Safeway nearby. Wish there was more drawer space and hooks/hangers for the bathing suits or other misc active wear, but 3 large closets help with that. Kids club was great with a volcano activity while my husband and I were spoiled at the lovely spa. Restaurant & food prices at market on property are high, but it's Maui. All delicious though. Fun at the pools and the easily accessible beach or short drive to other beaches/activities. Become a Fairmont member to avoid wifi costs. Beautiful and breathtaking views all over the property.

1 Thank timetowine
Aloha, Tara and thank you for your terrific review! We’re thrilled that you had an amazing stay and enjoyed the spaciousness of the suite and the beautiful views from your lanai. We work hard to provide exceptional service and memorable experiences, so we're very proud to learn that we succeeded from the beginning of your visit! We will be sure to share your comments with the team. Warmest aloha and best wishes.
Knoxville,Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We went last week to the Fairmont Kea Lani. The facility is top notch. Great staff. Great location. Nice rooms. Super good location for families. We loved the snorkeling just to the right of the beach area. Saw several sea turtles. Wailea is expensive so expect things to be that way.

Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed there for a week and liked it.
(it may not be fair but we had previously stayed at the Four Seasons so kept comparing the two)

Checkin was swift and efficient. Valets and Bell boys take care of you , get your leis and checkin was terrific and up to the room. Our room, 521 was huge was a big living area, sofa with TV, desk/chair and vanity with microwave/refrigerator. The next room was good size with a large kingsize bed. The bathroom was very big and clean. The lanai was huge with walk outs from the bedroom or living room. I loved this aspect as you could go out to the lanai with out disturbing the kids. Downside for larger kids(mine are 17 and 15) is that the pull out sofa bed is very uncomfortable. These should be changed to a much firmer mattress as you shouldn't be feeling the metal through the mattress. Turn down service was so so. We had to call a few times to get the sofa bed made. The room was clean for most part other then on both sides of the front door there were large spider webs which I needed to take down.

The beach is very nice with great snorkling(turtles right around the bend). Paddleboarding was 40 an hour and reasonable. Could get kayaks as well but we didn't try that. Complimentary outrigger canoe ride is recommended. Snorkeling was free for first hour and then 9/hr if you planned to keep it. Boogie boards were 9/hr or 20 for day. they will set up a beach umbrella and chairs for you which was very nice.

There is a huge lawn area with lots of loungers to look at over the water. The pools are further back. One has a swim up bar with about 5 seats which is cool. There is another pool with a nice slide which the kids like as well as basketball. There is also an adult serenity pool. Lots of loungers and towels with sunscreen and after sun products for each pool. On site are henna tatoos and shaved ice which is nice.
Can't see the beach but very nice with poolside service. KOs which is a restaurant right outside the serenity pool has happy hour at 3(lower price drinks and pu pu's) and would have like to seen it extended to poolside service.

There is a nice work out facility and deli which has a good selection of food to purchase. Three restaurants on site and the breakfast facility was always good with a great buffet and good selection of ala carte items. Lounge upstairs outside of lobby area is very nice with good service and a good guitarist on a nightly basis.

Can use the Free Car service to get anywhere in Wailea.

They have valet service for 25 a day or free parking just up the hill. Tight parking spots but workable.
I am not a fan of the 30.00 resort fee for this hotel or any other. Newspapers and all the rest should be included in hotel room price.

Room Tip: the rooms with an oceanview are great and a wonderful way to watch the sunset. These would be on the...
2 Thank J0hnPM10
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed the Fairmont Kea Lani from June 4th-17. What a wonderful hotel and excellent staff. The hotels grounds are beautiful. We enjoyed KO for dinner and one evening the KO chef even prepared a special meal for us. My son and husband went fishing and brought back the fish to the hotel where the chef provided us with an amazing meal. If we ever return to Maui I would 100% stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! It’s outstanding to learn that you enjoyed your stay and especially loved the resort's signature restaurant, Kō . We will be sure to share you kind comments with Chef Pang. Please visit again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!