“Poor service/price ratio”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2014

It started the second w arrived at 4pm. Our room was not ready. After 45 min I was told the final inspection had been completed and a bellman was assigned to bring our luggage to the room. After standing next to our rack of luggage for the next 20 min, a cocktail waitress asked me if I needed help! I finaly gave up, threw my carry-on on top of the six other suitcases we had and started wheeling it up to the room myself and that's when the fun began. Two punk bellman all but accosted me and one was about to hit me when I told him to back off, that I could have used his help 30 min ago. I finally relinquished the cart and this nasty punk took our bags, to the room where he tried to insult me in front of my family. Second day we discovered the very limited menus in the restaurants while watching the rain fall. Next day my 17 year old daughter wanted a massage and couldn't because of their age requirements but they did tell us that all the other hotels including the Four Seasons next door were able to give messages to teenagers. Just our luck. In every way, shape and form, it is painfully apparent the difference in training (or lack thereof) between this Fairmont property and the Four Seasons next door yet virtually no price difference. The rooms are, however larger, but do not make up for pathetic service in all areas of the hotel. When I think of where I could have gone and done for the $10,000 I wasted at this joint it makes me sick. Never coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Kevin M
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

We’re so sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent visit to The Fairmont. The experiences you describe are far below the standards we set for our staff and not reflective of the outstanding service for which we are known. This will certainly be investigated and, again, we regret any concern this caused you. We’re also very sorry that we couldn’t accommodate your daughter for a body treatment. While we are delighted to offer nail experiences for our younger guests, at all Willow Stream Spas the treatment areas are reserved for adults only. Please know that our entire staff is rigorously trained in providing personalized, friendly and engaged service and we are truly sorry that you received anything less. Warmest aloha and best wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,641)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is an excellent hotel It is very kid friendly.
The location is my favorite part of Maui. The restaurant was great as well.
Very relaxing time. Hotel has bikes you can use to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ramin K
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our family had a wonderful stay at the Kea Lani over our Christmas break. The location and service was top notch. I would recommend if you are staying here to prebook any hotel activities, spa reservations and even cabanas because they were full during our stay (and even the weeks following.) The rooms were large (perfect for families) and had beautiful views. There is a boardwalk that connects the Kea Lani to the other nearby resorts so you can easily walk to dinners. The resort size felt intimate, modern, laid back and relaxing....unlike the vibe I got from the Grand Wailea or Four Seasons.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cbfitz
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Aloha! It’s fantastic that you had such a relaxing and memorable holiday vacation! Thank you for recognizing the “top notch” service you received and for all your recommendations for future guests. Best wishes and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

5 stars all the way~ It started with the lei welcome and the friendly check-in. Then the informative chat as we were escorted to our room. And the room... Lovely. It was spacious, with a large balcony, sitting area and bath with double sinks, soaking tub & shower. There is a microwave, mini fridge & Kerug in the entry area. The king bed was so comfy and the sheets were soft.

The grounds were beautiful and the pools welcoming. Plenty of chairs and towels, along with water and sunscreen/aloe near each pool. The beach was a perfect spot to watch the sunset.

The staff was always ready with an Aloha, and everyone was very helpful. It was nice to be able to have their van drop us off at the Shops of Wailea ... and with a quick phone call, they were right there to pick us up and bring us back. The concierge helped us book a couple tours and their advice was right on. There was also a complementary laundry area near our room which came in handy after an encounter with the ocean :)

We also signed up for the Fairmont President Cub before we arrived (it's free) and that gave us free wi fi in our room.

A wonderful stay !

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wags02
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Beautiful private beach, comfy beds. I will definitely stay here when I return to Maui. My wife and I stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This place is great for couples and families with little ones.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank penrosekid

Aloha and thank you for your terrific review! We’re so happy that you had an amazing stay and found the resort to be perfect for families and couples alike. We appreciate all of your wonderful compliments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Our 3 rd visit to this hotel did not disappoint. The renovated grounds really look great compared to previous visits, and even then they were pretty nice. My favorite time is at sunset, when the tiki torches are lit and a pinkish golden hue from the sunset turns the buildings and grounds the most amazing colors. We always feel comfortable here with 3 kids, love the beach right in front of hotel, good selection of swimming pools, love the easy yet nice breakfast buffet, and the good room service and restaurant menus with lots of different choices for people with special dietary needs and health concerns. Maui is a nice island, but this visit had trouble finding any reasons to leave hotel. It is not cheap, but kids menu food prices actually quite reasonable, and didn't find pool toys or boogie boards too expensive. Drinks are expensive. Bought a hat at the Fairmont store and saw same hat at Maui aquarium for 20$ more! Recommend poolside room with kids.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank weliketofly

Mahalo for your amazing review and for being such loyal return guests. We’re delighted that your expectations are exceeded each time you visit and that you appreciate all that the resort has to offer. Your valuable comments for future guests are appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Aloha and best wishes.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I'm sitting here in freezing cold Chicago remembering our sublime stay at the Kea Lani, thinking- I would give anything to be back at this blissfully luxurious place. This is a first class, five star resort, super luxurious and the service is friendly and attentive. We are a family of four with two little boys and I think this is a great choice for families because all the rooms are spacious 1 bedroom suites. We have stayed at many of the other nice hotels in this area and nearly all of them give you just a standard size hotel room.

At the Kea Lani, our boys had their room and we had our room, which helps everyone enjoy the trip much more than when you are cramped together. Our room and the view were stunning. The beds were extremely comfortable, the sheets are the nicest I have seen and the furnishings are beautiful. (see photos) I like the fact that this hotel has a self park option- a lot of the other luxury hotels in Wailea are valet only, which is a little annoying.

I was also surprised to find free washer and dryer on our floor- what a nice touch! The breakfast buffet is great and there is never a problem getting a comfortable lounge chair and umbrella on the beach or the pool. I mostly like to stay in the shade and that's easy to do here. All in all, a perfect stay.

Room Tip: I was told that all the rooms are 1 bedroom suites and most have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank travelguy1972Chicago

Aloha and thank you for your wonderful review! We couldn’t be happier that you had a memorable family vacation and that you enjoyed the hotel's large suites and guest amenities. Please be assured that your kind comments about our staff will be shared. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon. Stay warm and best wishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!