Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Residence Inn by Marriott Maui Wailea(Wailea)(Great Value!)
$364
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
$699
  • Beachfront
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
$636
$407
$479
AscendHotels
4,826 results
All reviewsko restaurantcafe ciaosuite hotelnick's fish marketcanoe experienceadult poolfour seasonspresident's clubswim up barbreakfast buffetupper poolliving roomour honeymoontwo sinksocean viewwalk in showertop notch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Fairmont Kea Lani. From the moment we arrived, we received outstanding service. Our room wasn't ready, but they called us as soon as it was available. Once we were in the room, they delivered our luggage, then the registration staff called our room (when they hadn't heard from us) just to be sure that the room was satisfactory, and we were happy with the location. We enjoyed the adult pool, and walks along the beach. Nick Seafood Restaurant, was very good. We ate there twice.

Room Tip: They are upgrading/renovating rooms. Ours was one of the completed renovations. It was very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyWailea44
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is my second stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani and I must review! I am (with my group) so in awe of how thoughtful the hotel management is in providing those little things that bring comfort and class to a stay in a hotel. Some of these things include : corkscrew and glass wine glasses in each room for our imbibing pleasure; washing machine AND provided detergent on each floor for use at no additional charge; 24-hour pools: no worrying of being kicked out of the hot tub or not being able to do early-morning laps; very friendly and happy staff; couches and lounges on the lawn; delicious food outlets and much much more! So worth the stay...

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were greeted by the very welcoming Jackie with lei´s and drinks which made a very good first impression of the hotel. The lobby is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.

When checking in we were a bit disappointed on how long we had to wait for the room since half of our family was sick and had to get to a room asap, we believe however that the front office desk did their best to accommodate us as quickly as possible. We did not get an upgrade which we had politely requested although the hotel was not nearly full, this was a bit disappointing. We were staying a total of 11 nights celebrating our wedding anniversary.

Our room was a partly ocean view with two queen beds. The room was spacious, recently renovated and just as described on the hotel website. The bathroom was very big but be aware that the edges of the tiles in the entrance to the shower are sharp and in the same color as the floor and wall tiles making it hazardous for children and people with poor eyesight to enter the shower.

The hotel grounds and pools are wonderful and we spent quite a lot of time there. The beach is stunning and you get help with setting up an umbrella and chairs.

We felt a bit confined within the resort since dining options are limited to in room dining, the Ciao caffe, KO and Nicks fishmarket. We tried all options and Nicks fishmarket was the best however with two young children eating out can be a bit difficult and we used in room dining several nights. Eating on the Lanai was a relaxed experience and the service and value of in room dining was surprisingly good and you can store leftovers in the fridge for lunch the next day. We did breakfast several times but 70 usd for two plus tip is quite hefty. Try finding a deal online that includes breakfast.

The courtesy shuttle service by SUV to the shops at Wailea was a brilliant option for us. The bell service team were all great and catered to our every need with a smile. The concierge desk helped us with renting a car and mapping out an interesting day exploring the Island. They also booked tickets to a Luau at the Marriot nearby which we highly recommend by the way.

It was obvious that the staff at the hotel went out of their way to make us feel welcome, the room and grounds did not disappoint and the relaxed ambience of Maui suited us well. We believe that for our next visit we would rather go for a holiday rental. Splitting the 11 nights between two resorts might in hindsight also have been a good idea. We were not affected in any way by the construction taking place that some people have been mentioning in their recent reviews.

The overall experience was very good but the minor offset from making it excellent is simply how expensive everything is at the resort and the constant tipping was bothersome.

Room Tip: If you think you will be spending a lot of time on the lanai, choose a room with a view. If you do not intend to stay a lot in your room you might want to save the buck and stay in a partly ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Koalamamma
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Beautiful resort, but be aware that they were doing construction throughout the resort. It was extremely hard to avoid the construction as it was going on in multiple areas of the resort. Hours for the construction were 8 - 5 Monday - Friday. It is very hard to nap and relax while there is jack hammering going on.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alexandra B
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

While we are happy you found the resort to be beautiful, it’s disappointing to learn that you were inconvenienced during your stay. We strive to ensure that all hotel improvements have very little impact on our guest’s experience. Please be aware that the project at Polo Beach Grille and Bar has been completed and that the Willow Stream Spa remodel is nearing completion, with the new facility opening in mid- December. We hope you will visit us again soon to experience our resort at its best. Aloha and best wishes.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We needed to use our Hawaiian Miles before they expired, so we picked Maui this time around. Then we decided take my dad and stepmom with us, although we had already purchased our vacation package from Costco at a great price. Paying cash for their airfare to add them on to our vacation was a no-brainer, as the increase in lodging was very reasonable. Changing our reservation to a villa from a standard room was seamless with Costco. The six of us (including Me, DH, and twin 7-year-old boys) fit perfectly in the 2-BR. If your kids are older, you might want to rethink it, as the boys shared a pull-out sofa bed that probably wouldn't be comfortable for teenagers to share.

Check in was okay. I don't need all the fluffy "Aloha!" stuff, because I am local, but I'm sure visitors will really appreciate it. The front desk girls were okay, but one remarked, "You look tired." Um, yeah…it was after 9pm and I had worked all day then hopped on the flight over. The super nice guy who drove us to our villa in a golf cart made up for it, though. He showed us everything on both floors and also made us aware of daily newspaper delivery, showed us the amenities, and also reminded us that water and juice are restocked daily for the villas. There was also a nice fruit basket, along with banana bread, macadamia nuts, and Maui style chips.

The villas all have their own splash pools. My sons absolutely loved this. It was like pulling teeth to get them to go to the "big" pool. I was disappointed that the pool with swim-up bar was being renovated, but I am probably as flexible as they come so can still make the most of it. The villa was fabulous all the way around. Highlights were the dining area having a corner bench (on two sides of the square table) -- we played many hours of poker there, the wonderful bath (which is gigantic and has a walk-in shower, separate huge soaking tub, and two sinks), and the most fabulous housekeepers. One of them was washing our coffee mugs and leftover dishes from the night before when we returned from the breakfast buffet. I was so embarrassed (as our culture dictates that we be as humble and helpful as possible), that I made sure to wash the dishes before housekeeping came the next day, only to find that yet another housekeeper had emptied the dishwasher and put all the dishes away. When I thanked both of them for their extra work, all they said was, "It's okay…it's my job." So nice!

Service at both the pool and the lounge were fantastic. The service at the pool was a little slow, as there were only two cocktailers, but ours was awesome with her suggestion of a Moloka'i Mule. Loved the flavor, but it was a little too sweet for me, so I just ordered a Grey Goose and soda and mixed them together. Perfection! My husband had Bloody Marys both at the pool and at breakfast, which were delicious as well. The lounge is very cozy and relaxing. The happy hour prices are much cheaper than the regular prices, but the selection is limited. The flatbread with prawns and pesto is amazing (so good in fact, that I am allergic to shellfish put insisted on picking them off and eating it anyway).

The only negatives were that our bed was ridiculously uncomfortable and that the drink prices ended up surprising us. The bed was lumpy and felt like a 400-lb. person had slept on my husband's side for about two weeks without moving. When my husband rolled over to me, he was going uphill. I felt like my head was lower than the rest of my body, like I was pointing downward into the headboard. But hey, like I said, I try to make the best of things, so we didn't even complain. Plus, we were only there for three nights and I didn't feel like packing everything up and then unpacking again.

I get that drinks are expensive at resorts. We are big travelers and big drinkers. I guess we just didn't realize that doubles are literally double the price here. We ran out of alcohol on the last night (bought our own at Safeway for night time, but did plan to purchase drinks at the pool and lounge). My husband went to the lounge and ordered two double Capt. Morgan Black and Cokes. The bill was $48. Then of course he had to tip her, so the charge was $60. OMG that is a bottle of Veuve at regular price. Lesson learned!

Overall, I had a very relaxing stay. The kitchen was well-stocked, although there could've been bigger pots. There is enough glassware, dishes, and silverware. There is no conventional oven, but the convection/microwave combo worked fine for us. The beach is nice, and there is also a nice walking/jogging path along it. My sons enjoyed the slide and playing basketball in the pool. The breakfast buffet is complimentary for four people in a 2-BR villa and was delicious. The omelet guy was super nice. Great selection for everyone.

The reason I gave it four stars was because it wasn't perfect. I need to be able to set the 5 star places apart from the rest. I wish I could've clicked 4 1/2.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your detailed review and your many valuable tips for our future guests. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the villa and have passed along your kind words to our housekeeping team. In an effort to continuously improve, please be assured that your feedback will be shared with our management team. We truly hope to welcome you back in the future. Mahalo and best wishes.