“Lovely honeymoon retreat”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani hotel for 5 nights. Our stay was the final part of our trip in Hawaii and our 3rd destination on our honeymoon (this was actually September 2011 but we've been to lazy and/or forgotten to post the review :-s ). The airport was approximately 20 minutes from the airport and it was nice seeing parts of Maui on the way to the hotel.

Upon our arrival at the hotel, we were greeted with a lovely guava drink, my wife was presented with an orchid lai and I was presented with an authentic nutshell necklace. The staff were friendly and the hotel was immaculate. As a result of us staying at the hotel for our honeymoon, we were presented with a meal voucher for the hotel's award winning restaurant, Ko.

Our room was large, comfortable and very clean. There was a large living area, a large bedroom (with a very large, comfortable bed) and the bathroom was enormous. Our room was towards the back of the hotel, so we had a view of the hills and we could also see the Pacific ocean from the side of our balcony.

We eat in the main restaurant, Ko, using our voucher towards the meal, and it was very nice. The portions were very generous. However, we mainly purchased our evening meals from the hotel's bakery and deli and eat these in our room. The pizza was yummy and the red velvet cake was to die for, the best red velvet cake that we'd ever had. We paid an additional fee for breakfast, and it was well worth it. There was a large selection of food items and they also had an omelette bar. We enjoyed the cocktails at happy hour at the hotel's bar whist watching the sunset and the nightly torch lighting ceremony.

We hired a car through the hotel, which was very easy to do, and we took a roadtrip around part of the island. The hotel also provided a free transportation within a certain radius ( I think it was about 2-3 miles) of the hotel and meant that you could easily visit the Shops at Wailea and I think there were some other restaurants within the journey distance, but we didn't go to these due to time limitations. I would recommend joining the Presidents Club as you get many additional benefits, including wifi.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much at the hotel and we would definitely go back again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Wow! What a wonderful review. We're delighted that you had such a memorable stay and enjoyed everything the resort has to offer. We hope you did have the opportunity to experience the convenience of Caffe Ciao Bakery and Deli that offers many food options, such as homemade sandwiches, salads and snacks, as well as beer and wine. Thank you for providing so much thoughtful advice and information for future travelers. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband again soon. Best wishes and a warm aloha.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Kea Lani in October 2013 for 9 nights. We were upgraded to a beautiful room with a straight forward view to the ocean. The rooms are nice, no complaints at all. They have plenty of shampoos and lotions etc. And they were good quality, I usually use my own but these smelled so good. The K-cup coffee makers were nice and convenient. My husband bought a Fairmont coffee thermos at the shop/cafe for $20. And then you only pay $1. Every time it's filled, which added up to be a savings. One small coffee will run you $5.
We stopped at KMart before hand by the airport and bought some wine and liquor, and a few snacks. Food and drink is very expensive. Drinks by the pool are $13 and up. The drinks are good but they are small. No drinking on the beach. Food at the resort was delicious. The only complaint about service was that there were not many options for lunch when you just wanted something convenient and were in swimsuits. There was one poolside restaurant but it was being remodeled so it was closed. Your only option was Ko. Which was fine but it'll run you $100 for lunch. You could get food by the pool but if you're a beach person then it's hard to find a lounger by the pool to sit and have lunch. Service was pretty slow by the pool. We ate at Ko for dinner twice and Nicks once. Both were absolutely delicious. We had a car for the week so we also explored off property to some great restaurants. Concierge gave us suggestions every night and called for reservations. Super helpful people for everything we needed.
If you are planning to do the road to Hanna, at the concierge desk they will borrow you a cooler to bring food and drink, you can also get a picnic lunch from the deli. They'll also give you towels if you're going to another beach for the day. So nice.
Oh! Another great bonus, they have 30 and 50 SPF sunscreen free by the pools and beach. And coolers of water to stay hydrated. The beach by the way is gorgeous! No complaints, free chairs and umbrellas.
SNORKELING was my personal highlight of the trip. Right out front to the right is some lava rocks, in front of that and to the right was amazing snorkeling. Every time I went out i swam with several large sea turtles, saw all kinds of fish and coral. Even saw a stingray or mana ray. I took a snorkeling trip to Molokini by myself one morning, husband doesn't like snorkeling, and the Molokini crater was actually a disappointment. The resort beach was way better. Rent snorkel gear at the beach for $9 an hour or $20 for the day. Paddle boarding was $40 for an hour. Super fun, you can paddle over by the turtles, lots of people put their little kids on the board to go see the turtles.
complimentary CANOE ride that the resort offers is SO awesome. Sign up for this before your trip ahead of time because they only do 3 a day, and not everyday. The guides are so nice. The canoe is very narrow so if you are larger you won't fit. Save yourself the embarrassment ahead of time if you're large and don't go.
Wailea is probably the nicest area. Just gorgeous, lots of things to do and see and eat. I heard they have complimentary rides to shopping and restaurants in Wailea. How nice for people if you don't rent a car. I heard no other hotels do this.
We didn't fly out until 9:30pm. Check out was noon I think, but they let us store our luggage, use the hotel for the day and then use a room when we needed to shower and head out. They have the room stocked with everything you need, toiletries hair dryer etc. How convenient.
So I have to say, this resort is wonderful. I would highly recommend it. We slept well, comfy beds, ate well, and got a great tan. What more could you ask for? Now go and enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 2wholovetotravel
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been to Maui several times but had never stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani. After carefully reading all the reviews, we decided this time to try the Kea Lani. Since we were both celebrating milestone birthdays, we decided to splurge and start our vacation by spending 2 nights in a deluxe ocean view suite and 2 nights in the signature Kilohana suite before heading off to Kauai and Oahu. The Kea Lani's website describes deluxe ocean view as having a full ocean view from both the bedroom and the living room of the suite. The Kilohana suite has wrap around lanais with the best views of the resort. These are the most expensive hotel suite accommodations, not including the 2 and 3 bedroom villas. We are Fairmont President's Club members and a little more than a month before our arrival we called to request our rooms be located on the higher floors. Depending on where you are in the resort, the highest floors are either 6 or 7. We understood there was no guarantee but considering we called in advance, October is not peak season, and we're members of their loyalty program, we thought we would be accommodated.

When we checked in we were told by Leisa the highest level we could get was the 4th floor and she confirm this was a deluxe ocean view room. We were brought to our room by Kevin, the bellman, who was a spectacular host welcoming us and telling us about the resort! When I opened the curtains to our lanais I was however very disappointed to see my deluxe ocean view room had a view of the next building (the room was located in the corner of 2 adjoining buildings at a right angle), and a view of an apartment complex straight ahead that abuts their property. The only full view of the ocean I could get was when I stepped out onto the lanai and turned my head right. I was so disappointed and immediately called the front desk to tell them this is not what we reserved. Within minutes we were moved to a room that suddenly became available on the 7th floor with a full ocean view from both living room and bedroom suite, just as the website described and just as we had booked. Now why did they even bother sending us to a 4th floor room in the corner of the resort?! When we went to the front desk to get our new keys, I informed Leisa that the first room she sent us to was not a deluxe ocean view room and I am not sure why were not offered the room on the 7th floor to begin with. She said nothing to us, not even an apology, and looked back down at her keyboard.

The next morning, I inquired with Tami about moving to our Kilohana suite a day earlier, noticing that the hotel was not even at 50% capacity, and maybe they would offer us the upgrade a day earlier for free considering our experience the night before, which I did tell Tami about. She did apologize for our inconvenience and informed me the Kilohana suite we reserved was on the 4th floor, but not available a night earlier. If we wanted to we could opt to have a Kilohana suite on the 3rd floor for an additional $120/night. We decided to keep our original reservation as we wanted the higher floor for the Kilohana suite. The following day when we went to check into our 4th floor Kilohana suite we were told that the current guest decided to extend their stay and our only option would be to take the suite on the 3rd floor. Really??! Why didn't the front desk inform them that the room was occupied that night by another guest and move them to the 3rd floor??!! Why did we get the suite on the lower floor when we already had a reservation? So needless to say, after reading all the reviews about guests getting free room upgrades, we were very disappointed that we struggled to get the rooms we reserved and paid for. I would warn other people who book at the Kea Lani to be very careful and to make sure you do not get the run around we did with our accommodations. The hotel is undergoing reservations but that should not be the reason we do not get the rooms we reserved.

Overall the resort is nice but the adult pool was always full by mid morning. Service at the pool was ok, concierge was good, housekeeping and bell staff were great, but the front desk was very poor! We won't be back. Next time we come back to Maui, we will stay at either the Four Seasons or the new Andaz that we visited while we were there. The Andaz just opened last month and we met Darren, one of the concierges there, and he showed us an ocean view room which is nicer than the Kea Lani and not as expensive.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ME M

We sincerely apologize that you had such a negative and frustrating experience at our resort. Our front desk staff is trained to provide high quality service and aims to do everything possible to accommodate guests in the room category booked. We truly apologize that you felt misled and hope you will return and give us another opportunity to provide the experience you deserve. Best wishes and thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great staff. Very accommodating. There was construction being done on the bar that was by the pool with the swim up bar. Hotel over all is good. Disappointed that bc bar was closed that there were not more service around the pool. This may have been because it was September though which is slower in Hawaii.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha! It’s wonderful that your overall experience was positive, however we're sorry that you were disappointed with the Polo Beach Grille & Bar remodel. We're pleased to report that the project is completed and the bar is now open. We hope you will visit again in the future and experience the new bar and restaurant. Mahalo for your feedback!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

From the time of arrival in the Lobby with the greeting of cold towels and juice you know you have arrived at a Special Place. I travel frequently and always feel like I am returning home to Hawaii when we stay at the Resort. The Service levels throughout the Resort never falter. Rooms are beautiful and KO Restaurant has become out new favorite.

Room Tip: Having all suites and large balconies a great value
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and staff. For our wedding we had 50+ friends and family join us in Maui, all staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani. The room coordination started over a year ago with Juan-Pablo and Tiare who were extremely helpful every step of the way. From the initial check-in to final check-out all of our needs were exceeded. We had set up 2 cabanas for our guests each day which were stocked with fresh fruit, waters, juices, and sodas and replenished ever few hours. The friendly staff came around with sliced pineapple, frozen push pops, and other treats all day while sitting by the pool. Tami, at the front desk, helped me greatly with some missing boxes of wedding favor bags (USPS fault, not Fairmont). Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Staying at the Fairmont was truly the highlight of the whole week and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We would definitely stay at the Fairmont again when coming back to Maui.

Room Tip: Ocean View Room all the way!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris_A82
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Breezy airy lobby with ocean views is what you will first see upon arrival to the Kea Lani and delicious guava welcome drinks with floral laes reception. Ask for the higher floors as the lower rooms will have obstructed ocean views. This is an all suite hotel with large rooms and very large spa tub bath and seperate shower ensuite furnished patio and comfy beds. The restaurants do require a reservation well ahead of time so pre plan. Would have loved the property to have hosted its own luau but intsead we ventured to the j W marriott. Very pretty lagoon style pool with slide for the children and kids menue. Nice organised beach. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Overall a memorable experience, thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! We’re so happy that your stay was memorable and that you especially enjoyed the spaciousness of the suite. We truly appreciate all of your suggestions to our future guests and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!