New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Fairmont Kea Lani for the second half of our honeymoon in September 2012, and we can not say enough good things about what a beautiful place this is!! We were fortunate enough to book our room at a discounted rate due to the construction of their restaurant Ko, however when we arrived all construction was completed. I emailed the hotel ahead of time to let them know we would be there on our honeymoon, and they upgraded our room to a partial ocean view free of charge. Now, I would argue the partial ocean view aspect of the room, as all we could see were trees and a road from our window, but this did nothing to dampen our experience. We were given a free bottle of wine and dessert at Ko to celebrate our honeymoon, as well as a plate of chocolates in our room when we arrived. Beautiful and thoughtful touches!

The grounds at this resort are stunning, pools are beautiful. The restaurants are a bit pricey, and I can't say the food was that great. Our room was clean and spacious, with a beautiful bathroom with two pedestal sinks. The beach is wonderful, and the free beach chairs and umbrellas are a great bonus.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and hope to return one day for our anniversary!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Korean first
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was our second visit to the hotel staying 4 nights. We had a perfect suite overlooking the property with an ocean view. The suite was big enough and had enough amenities to live there by the month! Clean comfortable quiet. Bathrooms are spacious, service, 3 swim pools, restaurants like Nicks, provide enough to do without ever leaving the property. The only reason this is not 5 start is that there is not as many retail stores or restaurants as the four seasons but in my book its definitely 5 starts!

Room Tip: All rooms are suites with separate bedroom and living room. Its just a matter of Which view you want...
Green Features: Since there is a water shortage the hotel asks that linens will be changed every 3 days unless otherwise requested.
1 Thank Laurie H
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for returning to The Fairmont Kea Lani. We are pleased that you enjoyed everything about the resort, especially the spaciousness of your suite. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon. Best wishes and aloha!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We checked in yesterday for a 5 night stay at The Fairmont Kea Lani and so far I have not been impressed. We usually come to Maui once a year and have always stayed at The Ritz Carlton Kapalua, however this time we decided to split our two week stay in two and try the Fairmont which we had heard was very good for the first part of the trip and then move on to the Ritz for the last week.
When you pull up to the hotel the property is very nice, my interaction with the valet and bellman where great, both very courteous and polite just what you expect, then we where greeted by a lady with the leis and some complimentary fruit juice, up to this point all was as expected from everything I had heard about this hotel. When we finally proceeded to the front desk to check in we where politely greeted by one of the staff members who was not very personal, it felt almost like checking in through an automated self service kiosk or something, I asked where my room will be located that is when she went to get an iPad to show me, I asked if there was a possibility on changing rooms even if we had to pay something, she told me she had to ask her manager, so she went or talk to the manager and the manager came out from the back she looked who was checking in and decided that (I guess from the way we looked) she would charge me an additional $300 per night if I wanted another room and all this and the manager does not even come over to introduce herself but she just looks and walks away after giving the instructions, honestly did not know the Fairmont worked like that, and let me say not a good first impression.

In reference to the property itself, the rooms are not what I expected, beds not very comfortable, hallways look like of a lesser category hotel, really musty smell, many of the room finishes are not what we expected.

As I am writing this I am waiting for it to be a bit later in the morning here to see if could cut our stay shorter and just move to Ritz.

If you are undecided between the Ritz and The Fairmont, go for the Ritz. I have done a review here on Tripadvisor on the Ritz from our last stay there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sbconsi
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We recognize the importance of first impressions and are truly sorry that the service level you received was below the high standards we set for our staff. Please feel free to call the front desk and ask to be connected to General Manager, Charles Head so that we can ensure your issues are resolved immediately. Alternatively, you may email our Front Office Management team at keafrontofficemgrs@fairmont.com. Best wishes.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent a week in a villa, which has a great location near everything - the beach, the pools, the hotel. The resort is very high quality but unpretentious. The staff is very friendly, the housekeeping staff meticulous (mornings and turn down service) and the concierge staff world class. The layout of the amenities and facilities (pools, beach, views, grand lobby) is one of the best on Walilea. One night we ordered a ready-to-cook steak and lobster BBQ, with local salad greens and baked potatoes. Even though we ate at some fabulous restaurants, the BBQ dinner at our villa was one of our favorites. we will definitely we back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We have been coming here for the past 6 years and we love it. We travel with 2 young boys (now age 6 and 8) and they thoroughly enjoy the hotel. They play in the pools - there are two pools, upper and lower. The hotel has a great kiddie pool if you have really young, small children. Breakfast is excellent and lunch by the pool is nice. We ate at Kai restaurant after the remodelling this year and it was very good. The service at the hotel is excellent. We keep coming back we love it so much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha and thank you for choosing The Fairmont Kea Lani time and time again. We’re delighted that your expectations continue to be exceeded each time you visit and that you appreciate all of the resort's details. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back many more times in the future. Mahalo a mālama pono a hui hou! (Thank you, take care, and until we meet again!)
Glenview
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani for the first four nights of my honeymoon. I cannot say enough good things about this lovely property. We were greeted with a 'congratulations' note and a plate of cupcakes in our suite (nice touch!) We stayed in room 205 which was recently renovated and the room was large, lovely and way beyond my expectations. This property was ideally suited for the Maui traveler - the free laundry on each floor was an added convenience. I would recommend this property to anyone. I have traveled a lot and I would rank this hotel among the nicest I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: ask for a room that was recently renovated.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wow! It’s truly a pleasure to know that you had an exceptional honeymoon at our hotel. We are so pleased to learn that the resort was perfect for your needs and that you would recommend it to other Maui visitors. Your compliments are greatly appreciated. Congratulations on your marriage and best wishes for the future!
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were celebrating our 20th and had been booked in another resort that was so disappointing that we checked out with no place to stay!
I was able to make reservations at The Fairmont Kea Lani, but after we arrived, I realized that right in the middle of our seven nights left, was one night completely sold out at the hotel! (It was my mistake since the reservations agent had clarified this on the phone, but in my upset state, it didn't compute...)
To the rescue came the Fairmont manager and Nicky, at the front desk, in the form of mercy for us and in the grandest scale imaginable - we were upgraded to a beautiful oceanfront villa for the entire stay!
Though that was an awsome act of kindness on their part, I still would have given them an excellent rating in all categories for service, cleanliness, excellent cuisine, and romantic settings... We were wined and dined in the style to which I am now accustomed!
Thank you again!

Room Tip: Due to the layout of the hotel, I don't think there's a bad room. Of course, the villa ocea...
1 Thank LadyKatlo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!