“Spectacular”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Spectacular”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani last week and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
I truly believe that you get what you pay for. Fairmont delivers every time.

We got a great deal and booked just a basic room. When we checked in, we had been upgraded to a partial ocean view. We had a spectacular room with a view that was nice and quiet. The grounds were immaculate.
The staff were always helpful and friendly. We felt like celebrities there.

We ate at the bar one night. The food was good and so was the service. The prices were a bit high, but that it normal for eating on the resort. The staff is great to give recommendations of places nearby worth trying.

Overall, we had the best trip and are planning on a return trip to Kea Lani in our future.

2 Thank Bri O
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your terrific review! We’re so happy that you had an amazing experience and appreciate your wonderful compliments. We strive to make sure all of our guests feel VIP! Thank you so much - we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Kea Lani. We were upgraded to the most outstanding two story villa steps from the beach with a private splash pool,full kitchen, private washer/dryer, living room, two bedrooms, a breakfast booth & private BBQ. I highly recommend Villa 12. The staff's attention to service was impeccable. I asked for an extra DVD player for the upstairs bedroom and it came within minutes. Then a follow-up call to make sure I was happy with it and the temperature of the splash pool. A huge anniversary basket of fruit, jams, breakfast bread was on the kitchen table. Also, a tray of homemade pastries saying "Happy Anniversary" in white chocolate. The refrigerator was stocked with six waters and six juices. The last day, I broke a toe snorkeling by the rocks in the rough surf. When I casually mentioned it while waiting for my car the valet ran to get his first aid kit, bandaged my toe and called security since he did not have a popsicle stick in his kit to bind it. In addition to a gorgeous beach and excellent restaurants, the service makes this resort top notch. Oh, did I mention the nightly turn down service with his & her slippers, orchids on the beds and in the bathroom towels, and a card on the bed each night saying the next days sunrise & sunset times and temperature!

2 Thank Toni S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Fairmont in Maui was exceptional from top to bottom. Pool, seating options, dining options, staff attentiveness, service, and general grounds and facilties were absolutely spectacular. This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever enjoyed, and the scenery from the beach is gorgeous for a hotel. The walkway between the Wailean hotels is so much fun to walk in the morning, and even more exciting is the beach options that are extremely close. 150% recommended for honeymoons too. The sunsets are magnificent too from the Luana Lounge, and the server Marissa was extremely helpful and conscientious with my wife's dietary needs, giving advice on itineraries to enjoy, and made each evening enjoyable to take in the ambiance. The breakfast is also spectacular. One morning my glasses fell off, and the hostess, Asia, helped to get them fixed. She was also spectacular every morning (and nights when she worked those as well).

Room Tip: Get a room with a sunset view. Truly worth any upgrade cost.
Green Features: They take it very seriously and its refreshing. You feel like a better person for contributing to it too.
2 Thank Chihawksdan
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The kea lani hotel on Maui is a really nice property. It was my first time on Hawaii and we really enjoyed it. Before coming to this resort we stayed at the Fairmont Orchid - which was amazing too.
Focusing on this hotel again, I must say, that we stayed at a villa with private pool, what was really a nice accommodation. The whole family had enough space and there was even a laundry room. From the villa we reached the beach in less than 30 seconds walking distance.
During the time we stayed there the beach was well visited and quite full. But we had a sun chair and an umbrella every day. There were big waves daily which were great to boogie board.
The food is awesome as well: the breakfast was a nice buffet with very friendly staff. We had dinner quite often at the Ko's restaurant which has really great fried lobster!
Furthermore the hotel provides a shuttle service to the shops at Wailea where there are some nice shops and restaurants as well!!
To come to a conclusion I want to say that the hotel is really great and I would recommend it to everybody and I hope, that I will be able to return very soon again.
Thank you Fairmont Kea Lani for the great time we enjoyed there!

Room Tip: The villas are beautiful
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rom2222
Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay. Our villas do provide a very special resort experience and we’re delighted that you and your family were so comfortable. It’s also rewarding to learn that you enjoyed dinner at Kō. Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much) for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Aloha and best wishes.
Orchards, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have never been to Hawaii so hubby bought us tickets to celebrate my 50th and we decided to stay at Fairmont Kea Lani for their reviews and boy I am so happy we did,as soon as we arrived I could not even reach for my door handle of car before a nice gentlemen opened my door and welcomed us and they gave me a Lei and hubby got a Hawaiian nut necklace? They took our luggage and swooped us up to our lovely suite and we opened the door and all we can say was "wow" suite#179 was amazing they had a very beautiful chocolate dessert plate laid out for me saying "Happy Birthday" and for the 9 days we stayed there we were treated like Royalty very very polite people and employees! Maid service was excellent,waiters at ALL restaurants there very polite and helpful,yes some was expensive but very worth it! Bed was comfy...they were renovating but not on our side so we did not hear anything.I cannot wait to return to the NEWLY renovated Fairmont next year! (hopefully).THANK YOU ALL AT FAIRMONT KEA LANI for making my 50th a very memorable and special occasion!!

Green Features: Energy-efficient lightbulbs, reusing towels,energy efficient appliances I noticed alot of enviro-friendly practices thru out the Hotel
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our first family vacation with a 14 month old in tow and it could not have been better. We've been to Maui before but this was our first time staying in Wailea. I had noted our need for a crib and the age of the child coming on vacation and they thought of everything you don't think of when traveling. They had put child protections plugs in all the sockets, they left a note of the safety measures they take with their cribs and that it was inspected upon set up, they had an amenity kit and small plush toy for my son... I was very impressed. Check in was a breeze and with the free President's Club sign up WiFi was available throughout the resort and complimentary. Our Deluxe Ocean Suite room was amazing great views and very ample space with a living room and very large bedroom and bathroom. We were able to add the breakfast package at booking for only a small amount more and I was very impressed with the quality of the options every single day. What took things over the top was the service.. every employee was amazing and took the time to play, entertain, say hi to my 1 year old. The grounds are immaculate and it is super kid friendly. I really loved and can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a vacation to the Fairmont Kea Lani. This hotel was awesome! It is the nicest place I've ever stayed. It is located in Wailea, which appeared to be one of the more higher-end areas on the island. This was our first trip to Hawaii, so we were pumped.
As soon as we arrived at the front entrance of the hotel, we were greeted by the valet parking team. They help you out of the car, get your luggage and escort you to a podium where you receive leis and a drinks (juice mixture of some kind, non-alcoholic, but really good). My wife got a very nice one made of real flowers, and mine was made out of kukui nuts that are from that area. When you get to the front desk, ask to sign-up for the Presidents Club, so you can get free wireless.

From there we were taken to the front desk to get checked in. The lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful, and then we were escorted to our room by the bell hop. He was awesome. He took us through the entire hotel and gave us a tour of where everything was located, and told us about the different activities, best place to park our car, etc. Then, when we got to our room, he gave us a full tour of the amenities. He treated us like we were staying with a family member, and was extremely welcoming. He asked if we were celebrating anything, and we told him that we were. About an hour after he left our room, we received a bottle of champagne and really nice wooden photo album, with a card congratulating us on our occasion.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Like a small apartment, it had a small fridge and microwave, sink, etc. There was a living room area with a full entertainment center, then a separate bedroom with its own TV. The bed was very comfortable, even the pillows, which I usually hate hotel pillows, so this was a pleasant surprise.

The hotel itself was beautiful. It has a huge central breezeway area that has restaurants, a deli, gift shop and different seating areas to just hang out and relax. The Ko restaurant is in the middle, and is very open, so you can hear the nightly live music pretty much anywhere in the main area. There's another restaurant called Nick's Fish (or something like that). We didn't eat there, but noticed it is a little more upscale than Ko, so dressing up a little more would be a good idea for Nick's. Ko seemed fairly casual. Both restaurants were pretty expensive, but then, just about everything in Maui seemed to be expensive as well.

We noticed that most of the food offered at the restaurants and the deli was more on the healthy side, which is great, but sometimes it's nice to just get some fried shrimp every once in a while. They have the breakfast area open every morning, and the breakfast buffet is awesome. They offer everything you could possibly want and more. Once thing to keep in mind here, though, is that it cost $80 for the two of us to eat from the buffet. This was just for one morning, but did include a $10 tip. Pretty expensive if you ask me.

The pools are very nice. They have a separate pool for adults only, and is open 24/7. I believe there was a really cool water slide in the pool, but we never got around to using it.
I was very impressed with the beach right behind the hotel. It's just a short walk down a pathway. You can get towels, chairs, umbrella and tables setup at your request. They also rented snorkel gear and boogie boards for $9/hour (or $20 for all day) each. The actual beach itself is awesome – soft brown sand and clear blue water.

We got a rental car, which I would recommend. Parking is a little different at this hotel. When you first arrive, they ask if you would like to "self-park", or use valet. Self-park is $15/day, which means you just park in their parking lot, and valet service is $25/day. Self-parking is ok, it just seems like it takes a while to get from the parking lot to you room. But, we didn't mind it too much. So, you basically park yourself, walk to the hotel, then they charge your credit card $15 per day at the end of your stay. Not sure if I agreed with this, but oh well.

All of the stores and restaurants around Wailea are upscale. There’s a nice shopping center right down the road from the hotel that has your typical upper-scale clothing and general merchandise stores. One of these stores – ABC – has some basic food, snacks, drinks, alcohol, personal hygiene items, etc., so I stocked our room. If I did it all over again, I would have probably just stopped by a grocery store on the way from the airport to the hotel and picked up the various things I needed for a better price and selection. Once you get to Wailea, there are no grocery stores.

For activities, we really only did two things, which were snorkeling and the road to Hana. The snorkeling was awesome! We signed up to do the Four Winds II snorkeling trip. This was the coolest part of our trip, in my opinion. Neither one of us had ever really snorkeled before. The crew was really cool, and laid back. They had quick classes for those of us who had never done it, and then they had another activity that was optional called Snuba. They take you out to one of two snorkeling areas (depending on the wind/weather conditions), and let everyone out into the water. There’s a girl named Taylor that works on the boat and she was excellent, made us feel really welcomed and comfortable.

Where we snorkeled was beautiful. I was nervous at first, but calmed down once I got in the water and saw how peaceful everything was around me. They also have a few staff members out there with you, making sure everything stays fun and safe. Meanwhile, in the boat, the crew starts grilling burgers, hot dogs and chicken. Once you’re ready to come back in the boat, you can help yourself to a plate. They also have a bar that servers tea, soft drinks, beer and wine. The alcoholic drinks were free, but they were very appreciative of tips. There’s a photographer scuba diving the entire time and taking really cool pics of everyone while they snorkel. You get the opportunity to purchase these (and the data cd) on the way back to the dock.

I would highly recommend calling the Four Winds II and scheduling a trip.
Overall, this was the best vacation we had ever been on. It was as expensive as advertised, so make sure you bring quite a bit of money. But, it’s a beautiful destination island, so it’s worth it for the memories. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: A room on the higher floors on the middle of the building, in the back would be the best, since it o...
Green Features: The hotel used a wide variety of eco-friendly practices throughout the hotel.
4 Thank bhockaday
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Kea Lani for your first vacation to Maui! It's wonderful to learn that your expectations were exceeded and that your vacation was the "best ever." We greatly appreciate all of your great tips for our future guests and look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon. Aloha and a hui hou (goodbye, until next time!) .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!