I'm really torn about what rating to give the hotel. We just got back from a 6 night/7 day stay there with my family of 4 (two kids which are 5 and 8). We had a fantastic time overall! The resort has plenty of good aspects:
* beautiful grounds and location -- better than Grand Wailea and the Four Seasons.
* great service from most people
* 3 pools with one for adults
* not too many people
* Nick's Fishmarket is amazing
* large rooms, and we had a great one
I could go on with the pros of the hotel, but others have done that well.
Unfortunately, we had a few incidents that left me with a less than stellar perspective on the hotel.
First, the website advertises that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 eat for half price. It appears few at the resort knows this policy or understands it. We went based on recommendation from our family who went there about a year ago. They had kids and ate poolside for free and reduced price. One of the first things we did when we arrived was go to the pool and order food. Guess what? It doesn't work poolside any more. The waitress told us we had to be in a sit down restaurant.
So, we went to a sit down restaurant a couple days later. We ate at Nick's Fishmarket, where a kids meal is $15. We didn't think too much of this because of the kids eat free thing. However, when the bill came, we were told that Nick's isn't part of the hotel, so it was full price.
When I complained to the concierge she didn't know the policy, and it took several minutes to try to find someone who knew what it would be. She then said every where BUT poolside and EXCEPT for Nick's was under the policy. She apologized and said the manager would call us to answer the question further.
No call came from the Manager. The next day we then went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. This time when I asked the waitress about the policy before ordering, she stated that the policy was only that kids 5 and under eat free, and kids 6-11 are regular price. I disputed this with her but she wouldn't take it and said that the price on the menu was it! Afterward she was very "cold" to us--not helpful, didn't tell us we need to get our own OJ from the buffet, and basically made me feel like I was stealing somehow when I took a bite of my daughters (free) bacon.
Of course, I went back to the concierge to complain. I had the same concierge and she asked if the Manager ever contacted me--no-- and she again promised they would. She was nice and apologized but nothing came of it. We checked out a day later and were never contacted nor had any amends made.
This is particularly frustrating since this policy is all over the website--but no one provides the policy when you check in, nor seems to understand it. Finally, we paid around $700 / day at the resort for room + food (at least). The cost of providing the kids food would probably have been $10 out of their pocket per day--kids don't eat much. It really left a bad taste in our mouth for their behavior, especially for such a minimal amount of money. This was also one of the reasons we selected the resort--we thought the cost of feeding the kids would be reduced compared to other resorts!
All that said, the resort is quite expensive, so if you go make sure you are aware of that and find alternatives as needed. $20 for a hamburger, $25 for eggs benedict, $12-16 for a cocktail, etc.
Lastly, one night we found a single cockroach in the bathroom. My wife screamed, and I caught and killed the cockroach. I know they are a tropical resort and pests are hard to prevent, but at the same time I think if there is 1 cockroach there are very likely more. You shouldn't have to deal with this at a Fairmont!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the essence of Maui at Fairmont Kea Lani, Hawaii's only all-suite and villa luxury resort. Nestled on the golden sands of Wailea's Polo Beach, this award-winning oceanfront paradise redefines luxury with a state-of-the-art spa, island inspired cuisine and authentic cultural experiences. Fairmont Kea Lani is the ideal island getaway with four unique restaurants, three swimming pools including an adult-only pool, a comprehensive fitness and wellness program and unrivaled access to the best adventures across the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TravelUp, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Kea Lani Maui Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Maui
- Fairmont Wailea
- Wailea Fairmont
- The Fairmont Kea Lani
- Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui Wailea