“Great experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great experience”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wonderful week for 2. No complaints at all. Service was excellent everywhere. Restaurant, valets, concierge, pool staff. Breakfast is excellent but pricey. Golf course pace of play was very good at the Wailea courses.

Room Tip: Need a floor higher than 2 for a good ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Korean first
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This is our favorite family resort anywhere - period - and just returned from our fifth consecutive visit last week. We love Hawaii and the Kea Lani was HIGHLY recommended by two other families with similarly aged kids (12/10/7), based on spacious suites, great kids pool (water slide w/Swim-up bar for parents), beach, sports lawn and location right on Wailea's Gold Coast. If you have the money, the Kea Lani has 2 & 3 BR "villas" that are literally just steps from the beach and have kitchens, w/d and 2 bathrooms on two floors in addition to a private terrace with "plunge" pool and BBQ. I don't know why anyone would stay at the Four Seasons vs these perfect Villas. The real "secret sauce" of the Kea Lani, however, is the Aloha spirit found among the loyal and seasoned staff - it is stunning how many employees have been with the property since opening 22 years ago. Seeing the same friendly faces each year, really makes the Kea Lani feel like a second home for us - we are already booked for next year and bringing the whole extended family to celebrate my day's 80th birthday. Jamie Corell with in-house reservations is just wonderful, I would ask for her specifically.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ken B
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have no idea, but I’m going to give it a shot.

Nothing is worse than saving for years and being disappointed. There are rich people who stay at amazing hotels all the time and then there are those of us who really save for a dream experience. I’ve done both….I had a job for 25 years that put me in some amazing hotels, and have become somewhat of a hotel snob. So our 1st trip to Hawaii for our 5th Wedding Anniversary, (even though we’re both 50-ish) on our own dime HAD to be perfect.

I always book our travel myself online like most people, but used a travel agent for this trip. (Lynnda Donnelly at Belle Meade Vacations in Nashville, TN.) I am SO glad I did! I told her the main thing for us was the Hotel. We’re not big on hiking, kite-flying and zip lining, but man that hotel really has to POP! I’d been looking online and seen the Four Seasons & Grand Wailea, but Lynnda said “Trust me, you want the Fairmont.” ALL the rooms are 2 room suites with a microwave and fridge, which is a must for us. I looked at the website and it was indeed gorgeous. Lynnda told us to sign up for the President’s Club to get free internet/wi-fi service, which we did and was seamless. In fact there were some issues with my cell phone which disappeared as soon as I logged into The Fairmont’s connection.

Regarding the room choice, we opted for the partial ocean view so that we could stay an extra day, didn’t think that was going to be a big deal for us, (stay with me.) The Hotel sent us a Pre-Arrival email asking us if we were celebrating anything, any special requests we had, kind of introducing themselves. I told them that it was our Anniversary and also that Nashville had suffered a terrible flood in 2010 in which my Mother lost her house. She also never recovered from the experience and passed away last May. She left us a little money and had said she wanted us to PLEASE do something wonderful with it. It was a lot of money to spend on a trip, but we knew we’d probably never get another opportunity, so we really wanted everything to go well.

We flew from Nashville to LA & stayed a couple days to visit family and break up the trip (We always stay at La Quinta LAX) then flew to Maui on a Sunday morning. They say never go to Maui unless you get a convertible, and “they” are right! Hawaii feels like nowhere else on earth. Like Dorothy opening the door to Oz and all of a sudden everything is in Technicolor. We got our rental car and followed the map….Needless to say I had been researching this trip to death so we basically knew how to get there….Maui is SO CLEAN…there are no billboards and signage is limited, but it was maybe 2 turns and 12 miles and there was was the Fairmont. Breathtaking. Gorgeous. CLEAN. So much character! The bellmen were instantly there and had everything loaded onto the cart before I’d even gotten out of the car (and we had more luggage than The Jackson’s Victory Tour). They asked us if we wanted to self-park (I think $25 a day) or valet ($30-something a day. We said Self-park, so they said they would park it for us so we could check in and we had until 9 pm to move it to self-park. Unlike many hotels, the parking is VERY close to the hotel and very convenient, so if you’re watching your budget, self-parking is a breeze.) Our bellman (Nacho) said “Just check in and go to your room and your luggage will be waiting for you”(and it was).

The Lobby is spectacular. You can see straight through to the ocean; of course it’s all open air, no doors anywhere. A beautiful Hawaiian lady glided over to us with leis, icy cups of juice, a huge smile and “Aloha! Welcome to the Fairmont”. Some places charge you for lei-greetings believe it or not, the Fairmont doesn't. We went to check in and were very warmly greeted, the girl wished us Happy Anniversary and was very welcoming. She looked at her computer and said “It looks as though you've been given a double upgrade to a full ocean view suite” we almost fell over! We went upstairs to our room and opening the door was Breathtaking….the first thing we saw was the massive ocean straight through outside….the room was a huge 2 room suite, there was a lovely personalized printed Welcome note with a plate of fresh cupcakes waiting for us….it was just spectacular. There was a huge flat-screen TV in both rooms, all of the techno do-dads (plenty of ports and extra cords etc), the lanai (balcony) was huge…a table for 4, a lounge chair and the view…..one of the 3 spectacular pools, the grounds and the ocean….it was truly perfection. My husband and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing…weeks of worrying if everything would be perfect just fell off of our shoulders; it truly went so far beyond what we expected.

I am a “bath” girl, and the bathroom was fantastic. The soaking tub was huge, the shower…no doors, they just had it built so you just step around a corner into amazing tile..the lighting was perfect, two Fairmont robes hung on the door..and the shampoos & soaps were top notch. PLENTY of towels, plenty of rich, deep white rugs and a separate room for the commode.

There were plenty of drawers and closet space in the separate bedroom, and the bed/linens were top-notch, like falling onto a cloud. The bedroom has a separate sliding glass door, which we left open at night to hear the waves crashing onto the rocks with a fabulous breeze.

The grounds were immaculate, though I never once saw anyone cleaning. Unfortunately, I am still a smoker, and the rooms/lanais are completely off-limits to smoking. However they have a couple of lovely smoking areas…not the prisons you usually have to walk 2 miles to. They were *just* far enough away to make the Nons happy, but not too far that I felt punished. A Lovely table and bench under a huge shade tree with a proper repository for your cigarettes or cigars. Another thing I noticed regarding smoking; Hawaiians don’t have nearly the militant attitude towards us that the mainland does, even though Hawaii is for the most part very strict about smoking. I don’t blame them for that…keep it gorgeous for as long as possible. However when you would ask anyone “where is a smoking area” they didn't give you the Face/Attitude we have become accustomed to. So that was nice.

The Fairmont has three pools; the only one we spent any time at was the Adult pool and this was a brilliant idea. You never have that horrible moment where your tranquility is interrupted by an unwelcome cannonball 3 inches from your head. No screaming, no running, it was just HEAVEN. The temperature of the water was perfect…I almost didn't bring a bathing suit because hubby and I aren’t big layer-outers, but the pool was so amazing we ended up spending a lot of time floating in it. Having said that, the children’s pools looked like an absolute blast, plenty of slides and secret caves and just beautifully laid out. There is plenty of room on the grounds for families to play catch or whatever families do…they all looked like they were having a wonderful time.

The beach is only steps from whatever room you have….the 2-3 bedroom suites *are* closer, but not by much. The beach is gorgeous. The second day there we took the complimentary ‘canoe’ ride out on the ocean and it was awesome! You could see the bottom of the ocean no matter how far out you got.

As you can tell, I could write about this place forever. Just so you don’t think I work for them, I must come up with a couple of negatives, reluctantly. On our Anniversary we ate at “Ko”, the restaurant everyone was raving about and….it was just OK. Hubby and I don’t drink alcohol and had no appetizers and the bill was $140 bucks. It’s not easy to find something to eat for less than 50 bucks, though the Valet guys WILL take you ANYWHERE you want to go, complimentary. I was also surprised to find there was NO Kona Coffee anywhere….even the coffee shop. I wanted my husband to try it but we couldn't find any. So yes, this hotel is very pricey for food, but 2 miles up the road is a Safeway grocery and the rooms have fridge and microwave so if you’re not big ‘foodies’ you can make it work.

Another unexpected perk…..FREE washer and dryer on every floor! And ice machines that were always full and working! The elevators were incredibly fast also.

Regarding Security and Housekeeping: after about 48 hours we realized we could stop panicking about keeping our eyes on our stuff. My husband left a pair of expensive sunglasses on a rock on the beach and the next day they were still there. Also, the doors to the rooms are heavy, and one day we got a knock on our door that we hadn’t shut our door completely. So the Security is top notch. Housekeeping was also a TEN; we are tippers and would leave 3-5 bucks a day with a note….as I said before the property was immaculate and aside from housekeeping we never saw anyone cleaning! Also I must give credit to Housekeeping for the most incredible thing that happened to us, and this will sound silly to many of you, but not having children my husband and I have a little collection of stuffed animals and we brought them with us. The fourth day we were there we returned to our room to find an adorable stuffed Otter sitting in the middle of our freshly made bed with a TYPED Note that said (paraphrasing) ‘We noticed your little family of stuffed animals and wanted to offer our Fairmont ‘Ollie The Otter’ to add to your collection.” We almost fainted. WHO DOES THAT?!!

It’s those kinds of personal touches at The Fairmont that will have us moving heaven and earth to get back there, somehow someday.

Saturday night before we left they had an “Energy Saving Hour” where they turned off all *essential* lights for an hour….the fountain in the front lobby and the entire property were FILLED with candlelight and it was one of the most beautiful things we ever saw.

I was not prepared for the sadness that came over me about 48 hours before we had to leave. It felt like leaving an old friend that you weren't sure you’d ever see again.

Our flight didn't leave until 6 pm Sunday, so we asked about a late checkout and were given until 1:30 pm and offered the use of a Hospitality Suite should we want to use the property facilities and shower etc before our flight….just amazing. We asked the concierge to print our boarding passes, and Thank God we did because there was a glitch with our travel that she made a few phone calls and resolved immediately.

Finally, upon checkout, we found that they had forgotten to add our “self-parking” fee to our bill. We brought this to their attention (probably about 150 bucks) and the gentleman said “Our mistake. Don’t worry about it.” And in that moment we knew we were truly at a hotel that cares more about Customer Service than they do money. Not ONE employee said “No” to us the entire time we were there. There wasn't one employee with a bad attitude. Everyone had a smile…something we didn't see at the Grand Wailea or the Four Seasons. It’s all about the little things. The torch lighting at night….the incredible Hawaiian music channel that we fell asleep to every night....they say There’s No Place Like Home, but there is. It’s the Fairmont Ke-Lani.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't send us a bouquet when we got home! Wait...is that the doorbell?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank bdonahueweedman
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui for a week-long conference in January.

The Good: The hotel itself is nicely maintained, with a grand lobby and several restaurants on the property. The room was also nice, with plush beds and amenities. They allowed us to check in early which was appreciated. You can walk to the shops at Wailea, and also to the hotels next door so the location is convenient. If you book a whale watching excursion they will pick you up right at the hotel which makes it easy if you don't have a car.

The Bad: We found many of the staff to be unfriendly, especially the staff at the restaurants, lobby bar, and the beach. We are very good tippers so this confused us greatly. We felt as though the island staff there does not like outsiders or tourists. The vibe made us uncomfortable. This was made apparent to us when we kindly asked the male beach attendant to set up some beach chairs for us. He sniffed at us and then picked up the chairs and threw them on the sand, thus getting sand all over the chairs, and then walked away. That was a first for me, no one treats me like that when I travel. We did not report this to the manager because we decided we had better things to do (we ended up walking back to the pool for clean chairs) but that type of behavior is unacceptable in a four star resort. We also experienced negative stares by the older barback at the lobby bar, and attitude from the young hostess at Ko. We are a nice, normal, well dressed couple so we didn't understand what was going on. We ended up eating our dinners off-site at other hotels for the duration of our stay just so we could get some friendly service.

The adult pool had almost every chair taken all of the time. The reason for lack of chairs is that the hotel uses up half of the pool area for "reserve only" cabanas, which no one was using, so the guests were forced to lay on chairs on the grass lawn adjacent to the pool. Additionally, there was only one drink server so the service was extremely slow. We moved to the other pool up near the top of the slide and the service there was much better.

The hotel sorely lacks in shopping, compared to the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea next door. I found myself walking to those hotels every afternoon to look at their shops. The only shops open at this hotel were a small swimwear shop, a coffee/ice cream/grocery shop and a generic gift shop with hotel logo items. The gym was a room with no windows and no wi-fi reception, even though we had a wi-fi password for internet.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again. I think the hotel could be potentially very nice if they re-educate their staff on how to be respectful and friendly to hotel guests, and improve their drink service at the adult pool. Potential guests are much better off looking at the neighboring hotels, Four Seasons and Grand Wailea or Maui Prince as better choices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank malajemm
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your detailed review. It is very concerning to hear of the service you received during your recent stay with us. The incidents you describe are completely unacceptable and we can’t apologize enough. Please be assured that our staff is held to a very high level of standards and our goal is to make sure every guest feels welcomed. All your comments will be promptly addressed to the appropriate service departments to support continuous training. Again, we’re sorry for your experience and hope you will return in the future so we can have the opportunity to provide the level of service you deserve. Mahalo and best wishes.
usa
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I took our 2 boys for their first visit in Hawaii last fall. We had a great expereince: clean large all suit rooms, nice service, good food (on expensive side). We had ocen view room which had a great view of the property. There was a nice large patio that we enojoyed sitting and relaxing, even had a dinner there couple of evenings. Beach was nice, water a little bit too cold. My boys prefered pool with slide. Overall, great family experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank UsaMr11
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your review. It is wonderful that you had a relaxing and memorable stay with us last fall. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed many aspects of the resort and had the chance to truly relax with your family. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lewiston, Idaho
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice Place But If You Are Near The Ground Floor, Do Not Expect to Sleep In. They Do Yard Work Every Day, Early. Expect Leaf Blowers And Such. EVERY DAY. Pool Area And Grounds Are Very Pretty. If You Are Looking For The "Resort" Experience, You Will Like This Place.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Bret W
los angeles
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family (husband and 2 girls) and I just got back from a week at the Kea Lani. Lots of good to report and little to complain about.

Pros:
Rooms are all suites and are fabulous. All of the rooms are suites and are really well laid out. with a king bed, queen sleeper sofa and a rollaway bed we all slept well. The doors between the living room and bedroom ensured that we didn't have to go to sleep at the same time. I won't go into anymore detail about the suite because it's been covered in previous reviews.

Views - we used the e-upgrade option that the hotel sent us before we arrived- which meant that we paid an extra $100nt to upgrade from a garden view to a deluxe ocean view which had a southerly view towards Molokai and looked over the pool. We were on the 4th floor. I wasn't sure if we made a smart decision until we got there. I LOVED the location of the room and it was totally worth the upgrade. I know people say you don't spend much time in your room to make it worth the extra cost but we would actually bop back and forward between the room, pool, beach, restaurants etc that we did enjoy this view regularly- especially first thing in the morning and in the evenings we would enjoy our view over the resort/pool/restaurants where we could see everything going on. Another great feature of this location though was the ability to see each other from the pool up to the lanai. We could even communicate to each other if someone needed something brought down from the room. Sounds like a small thing but we found it really convenient.

Service: Was overall great. Lots of smiles and alohas from the staff. There were a couple of times when I experienced a little attitude from staff - the bartender at the swim up pool outright ignored me for a few minutes(even though another staff member had just told him I was there) when he was chatting to guests sitting on the pool side stools. After waiting for a few minutes I was told last call had just been called then he grudgingly made me a drink. The young guy at the beach hut - Paul - could use a refresher course in customer service too. Other than that everyone one was very friendly. We found the room service staff particularly friendly and helpful.

Resort: Really well designed and laid out. On a couple of occasions we took a stroll to the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. Both times we were so happy to get back to our little slice of paradise. There is a feeling of spaciousness and tranquility that you feel here as opposed to the other resorts. While we like the Four Seasons brand I felt like I was in Las Vegas when I visited it on Maui - especially when returning to the Kea Lani, which feels gracious and more fitting to the environment. We would always choose this hotel over the others in Wailea.

Pool: Great. No, it didn't have the bells and whistles of the Grand Wailea and that was just fine by us. The kids LOVED the unassuming waterside and went down it about 500 times. The pools are laid out well and there are plenty of chairs - even if you have to be on the grass. We used the adult pool also one day which was really nice too.

Restaurants: We tried them all. The breakfast buffet was included in the room price. It was very good. Probably wouldn't do it if we had to pay for it though - it was pricey. We ate at Ko for lunch one day. It was very good - but again very expensive. One night we ate at Nicks Fishmarket. Again very good but very expensive. I know - this sounds repetitive.
Probably our biggest complaint about the restaurant situation is that there is not a good family friendly option for dinner. We spent over $200 for the 2 of us at Nicks and would not want to to take our kids for that kind of pricey dinner. We took them to the kids club a couple of nights where they ate pizza and most nights we ordered room service - which was pretty good.

Overall: Great experience and we would be happy to back!

Room Tip: We loved the deluxe ocean view overlooking the pool/ocean
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank paurora
Aloha. Thank you for posting such a thorough review of your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and provided you and your family an overall enjoyable experience. While it’s wonderful you were happy with so much the resort has to offer, we’re sorry to learn that the service level you received was inconsistent. We strive to provide the same positive experience in every area of the resort and apologize that we fell short. Please be assured the management team has been notified and your feedback will assist in serving our future guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!