“Wonderful Family Resort”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Kea Lani with our 3 children. We also met 2 other families there, so our actual group was about 13 people. I had not researched the Kea Lani at all and was not sure what to expect with the hotel, but it was just wonderful. It is pretty, airy, clean and nicely updated.

The rooms are very nice - - very simply decorated, but comfortable, immaculate and tasteful. The bathrooms are very nice and have a luxurious feel to them. I am a bed snob, and the beds and linens were great. Our children slept on the pull out sofa, and they did great. The rooms are perfect for families with little ones, because each room also has a microwave and refrigerator (so you can heat milk, etc). Not that we spent much time in the room, but when we were in wind down mode, the kids could watch their own TV in the living space, and we could watch our own TV in the bedroom. The balconies are all huge, and we spent several evenings sitting outside with our friends while our kids watched movies inside. You should know that when you book a room with an "ocean view" at the Kea Lani, you are going to be looking down the side of the building with a small view of the ocean (we figured that, but I have seen others complain about that on this site). Our friends had an ocean view, and their balcony views were amazing.

Outside.... the pools are nice. My group all agreed that the poolside service is not very good, but that did not keep us from enjoying the pools. The beach area is wonderful, and the grounds are just amazing, in general - - beautiful and lush. Lots of room for throwing the football and ponds in which to catch tadpoles! Each day there was a kid-friendly activity - - - bracelet making, lei making, Easter egg dying, and an Easter egg hunt. Very, very kid-friendly resort!

Food ... breakfast buffet is fantastic, but pricey (as expected). One great thing about the Kea Lani is their little Cafe Caio - - a little market where you can buy meals, snacks, beverages and a few necessities. We grabbed breakfast and lunch there several days. And two nights, we ordered pizzas, bought a few bottles of wine, and ate with the kids by the pool and let them swim at night. We went to Nick's one night - - half of us thought it was fine, half were a little underwhelmed. But they handled our large group nicely and were extremely accomodating. Ko's was great all around.

All around - - no real complaints. It's a beautiful, enchanting resort. Superb service (outside the pool area), lovely grounds, and amazing family friendly amenities. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want a true ocean view, do not get a 'partial ocean view.'
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tahoes_mom

Reviewed April 2, 2013

What can I say that has not been said before? This hotel is fabulous in every aspect:

Service: top notch all around. Warm smiles and genuine aloha hospitality 24/7. Patty with concierge services, Danny and Royce with valet , housekeeping, etc. Members of the President's Club get free WiFi, free boogie board / golf club rentals, etc.Very convenient.

Property: gorgeous grounds and landscaping. Beach is immaculate. Pool area crowded but not as crazy as GW. Rooms are large and clean but with slightly dated decor.

Food: we weren't able to try Ko which is getting raves, Nick's was fabulous as usual, the view alone is worth every penny. Caffe Ciao is great for quick bites and snacks, great coffee.

This hotel should be the role model for other hotels - the GW (exception of Ho'olei) isn't even in the same league .

Note: we were there on Easter Sunday - the special activities like egg coloring and the egg hunt were tons of fun for the little ones in our group,thank you =)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I like the Fairmont chain of restaurants since I prefer high end hotels. There are a lot of good things about this place.

The location in Wailea is superb. As soon as you enter Wailea, you know you're entering a plush resort spot with gorgeous landscaping. The suites have a great floor plan. Our room (295) had A large bathroom, bedroom and living room. The bedroom and living room are separated by 2 doors, which allows someone to stay up and read or watch tv in the living room while someone else sleeps undisturbed in the bedroom. The bathroom has 2 doors, 2 sinks, a huge soaking tub, separate shower (with no curtain or door) and a separate closet for the toilet. The bedroom had 2 beds and a flat screen tv. And there was a sizable lanai.

The service was great. We were given leis upon arrival. The concierge was very busy since it was spring break, but they tried hard to accommodate every request. The restaurants, Nick's and Ko, were also quite good. I'd recommend the snapper at Nicks's and sushi at Ko's. I also really appreciated the healthy menu options at Ko's, including diabetic friendly, macrobiotic, vegan (try their vegetable curry), heart healthy, and I think one more. Cheers for the decision makers of the menu.

We enjoyed the complimentary Hawaiian canoeing a lot. I recommend signing up for it since I'm told it fills up quickly. Two experienced guides take you out into the ocean for an hour. Great fun.

Wen also enjoyed the adult pool, which allowed me to swim laps in peace. The water temperature was very comfortable. The guy handling the chairs and towels was helpful.

The only negative things I would say are the hallways. They really need renovating. For a high end hotel, the carpets and walls show a lot of wear and don't fit with the rest of this immaculate property. I realize it must be hard to maintain hallways with lots of sand and heavy traffic, but something should be done. And the heavy bedspreads were a bit warm for the warm climate of Maui. I don't remember noticing these issues at the Fairmont on the Big Island.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaimeSommers
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here for our spring break with our 8 & 10 year old daughters. Picked the Kea Lani over over the Grand Wailea based on Tripadvisor ratings and was happy. The Kea Lani is a "smaller" hotel and didn't ever seem too crowded. Also the rooms are very large and are true suites with a door between the two rooms. We had one King and our kids slept on the sofabed.

We spent around 3 days in the pool. My daughters loved the pool. They went down the slide a thousand times and just swam around the pool playing games with each other. There was only one day when the weather was very clear that the pool got busy. The other days, it was more overcast and the pool wasn't as popular. We tried to get a cabana every day and were not ever able. On the first day, we put ourselves on the wait list and were numbers 8 & 10 for the days we were planning to be at the pool. What made this more frustrating was that only about half the cabanas were ever used. However, "the guest has paid for the cabana and can choose whether or not to use it". The hotel needs to find a way free up the cabanas that aren't actually being used for guests that want to use them. However, absent this, if you want a cabana, contact the concierge before you arrive and make reservations. Despite this minor complaint, we were able to get chairs near the pool and were able to move to chairs with umbrellas during the day as they opened up.

We went on a snorkel cruise and the turtle spot where they stop is just off shore from the Kea Lani. We tried to go back out in a kayak the next day but the seas were too rough. The guy at the snorkel rental place said that the beach at Kea Lani is one of the better places to snorkel in the winter. We also were able to see whales from the shore here. Although they were a long way out.

Breakfast was very good. We had a breakfast rate that we got at no cost by booking through Whatahotel.com. The breakfast buffet is one of the best i have ever seen - everything you can think of with some changes each day. Whatahotel also offered room upgrades on check-in. I don't know if we got an upgrade or not. It was spring break and so the hotel was full. We booked the cheapest room available. Our room was at the end of the hall and based on it's position, looked a little larger than the standard room, however we were on the back side of the building. Our view was mostly "street" although you could see ocean either looking down the street or across the land. The bed was great. I like a softer bed and was very happy. I usually don't notice things like the sheets in a hotel but the Kea Lani sheets were very soft. They also provide both a firmer and softer pillow although they are all feather.

I loved that they provide a bunch of cables that allow you to connect a computer or an Apple device (not iPhone 5 with lightning connection) to the TV. For kids this allowed us to stream Netflix and rent movies on iTunes and watch on the TV. They also have a DVD player although we didn't bring any DVD's with us.

Service was good. The evening turn-down service was great because they would exchange towels. With so much swimming, we were often taking showers in the afternoon and with the humidity, nothing would dry in the room. So it was nice to always have dry towels. The hotel also allows you to take the pool towels out if you go to the beach or on a snorkel trip - that was nice too. We ordered lunch and drinks at the pool a few times. Lunch took a really long time - They could have used more help taking orders and delivering at the pool.

I used the concierge to book luau tickets for us. They recommended the luau at the Marriott which was good. Premium seats were not available when we booked and were not necessary if you arrive early.

2  Thank JeffS_from_LA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Let me start by saying that we splurged on a 2 bedroom oceanfront villa at the kea lani. It was well worth the money to be steps from Polo beach with outstanding views of the ocean. There was a small lawn on which we played baseball and football. My experience with this hotel beginning one month prior to check in was nothing short of perfect. the concierge supervisor Daphne and the entire staff was extremely helpful in making golf, luau, dinner reservations. The kea lani is certainly one of the
Most beautiful and well maintained resorts. Food was phenomenal. This is a mid sized hotel (as opposed to Grand Wailea) and as a result I felt the service was much more personal. They made my little one's 9th birthday special by sending treats to the room and granting his wish for a birthday cookie at Ko where we ate dinner. The canoe ride which is complimentary but you must reserve was another highlight and amazing experience. After 4 nights here we went to grand wailea as I wanted the kids to be able to use the pools. Honestly in retrospect we all would have rather stayed here for another 2 nights. Perfect family luxury resort!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank mehtkx
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Aloha! We’re so happy that you had a memorable vacation and that your family enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer. Our villas offer a special resort experience and we’re delighted you had the opportunity to experience them. Thank you for recognizing our personal level of service, especially for your son’s birthday. We look forward to welcoming back again soon. Aloha and take care.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This review is a little overdue, since my husband and I stayed there for our anniversary in October of 2012.

I booked our stay via American Express and snagged a great deal @ $299 / night. Our travel dates were 10/3 - 10/12 (9 nights).

I have traveled to Maui several times - my mom's side of the family is from Hawaii (all Islands), although I was born and raised in Seattle (I did live on Oahu when I went to school @ HPU) - so I am very familiar with the Islands. My husband and I previously stayed up at the Ritz in Kapalua for our anniversary in 2010. And while we both loved that area, I have to say that we loved Wailea, even more. Much less rain and easy access to shopping and great restaurants.

Upon arrival, the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive and we were immediately checked-in - room number 456 (pictures included). Our suite was perfect - my only complaint being the two full size beds and not queens. But everything else was great - and the view from our lanai was spectacular!

We ate breakfast a few times at the buffet (I believe it's only open for breakfast, maybe lunch?) - and while pricey for breakfast ($35 pp - but they do have an "All-American" version for around $20 - make sure you tell your server this is what you want), it was still good food and great service. We also had our anniversary dinner at Nick's Fishmarket - which was excellent! But, there are so many amazing dining choices close to the hotel, we didn't stay onsite for many of our meals. Nearby: MonkeyPod for great beer and pizza at VERY reasonable prices - we ate there a few times! Sansei sushi in Kihei (one of our favorites!). Cafe O'Lei, also in Kihei. And Ferraro's at the Four Seasons, which was excellent Italian food and amazing service.

I went to the Spa, while my husband went golfing - and will say this was just an okay experience. My massage therapist (blanking on her name) was excellent, however, at one point, she tweaked my right arm back behind my back - and it ended up bothering me the remainder of our stay (6 more days). I did tell her at the time that it felt like something was tweaked and she worked on the area (and apologized profusely!).

The pool areas are great - there are separate pools for those with kids / family, and a more "adult" pool, which was often times hard to find a seat, if you weren't out there early. The staff came around every afternoon with cold, fresh cut pineapple for the guests, which was a terrific treat! Pool service was okay - could have been more often, but I've definitely stayed at hotels with much slower service.

The beach area is gorgeous - and every evening around sunset, they light all the tiki torches on the property and the grounds become alive (that's the best way I can describe it!).

All in all, we absolutely loved our stay at the Kea Lani and will definitely stay there again, in 2014 (we have a time share in Mexico every other year, and this year we'll be staying in Mazatlan at the Emerald Bay - hope to share a review sooner than I did with this one!).

Highly recommend the Kea Lani, I can't say that enough!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elcope
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Amazing all suites hotel. this is the third time i stayed here and it is just brilliant. you feel like royalty as soon as you enter the property. the staff were friendly and willing to make a personal connection. there is no doubt that we will return to the Kea Lani when we come back to Maui.

Room Tip: Splurg on an Ocean view if you can
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!