Stayed at the Fairmont for five nights in March 2013, with husband and teenager. Overall very clean, well maintained gardens and pleasant beach location with lots of space to spread out and explore the grassy grounds, beach, pools, lounges and various restaurants, especially compared to newer more cramped feeling resorts.
Choosing to stay here, we did expect the food to be expensive but were surprised and a little irritated at some of the details about food and beverage charges. Happy hour discounts were promoted by the bartenders at several of the restaurants but only after ordering did we find out that it only applied to a very limited selection of drinks (and not the ones we had just ordered). We also had a few instances of over-priced food charges (in our view), for example on one occasion they charged $10 for a single scoop of mashed potatoes and $9 for two pieces of Bok Choy, both ordered as side dishes at Ko restaurant. On several occasions at different hotel restaurants there were errors on our restaurant tabs which we had to get corrected or reversed. If you are signing charges to the room, be sure to check your final bill carefully on check-out too. We discovered several hundred dollars of erroneous charges on our bill which we fortunately took the time to review in detail the night before checkout. The false charges were corrected very courteously without hassle but really shouldn't have happened at all. No major food related complaints despite the nit-picking we had to do on our restaurant tabs. It just became apparent that errors were happening readily and we didn't just want to let them slide, on principle. Would have been more relaxing if we didn't feel we had to check everything over meticulously before signing though. One time they indicated that they had accidentally left the tab open on the table we were sitting at, from the previous guests who sat there.
On the plus side, the restaurants were generally very accommodating with special requests and they had a decent selection of healthy (vegan and macrobiotic etc) food choices, which is rare. On two nights we couldn't get a table at either Ko or Nick's which were fully reserved so we ended up dining in the Luana lounge area. We were able to order food from the Ko restaurant menu and have it in the lounge. Worked out brilliantly as we had a quiet table with a gorgeous sunset view and food from the fine dining restaurant.
Generally, there seemed to be lots of staff at all times, most of them very friendly and attentive. The weather was warmer than we might have anticipated for spring-time which was a definite bonus and really made the trip.
One other minor disappointment was the outrigger canoe experience, or rather lack thereof, that we had read about on previous reviews. On arrival we were told by the person who showed us to our room to make sure not to miss the free canoe experience which happens several times daily. The next morning we tried to book it with the concierge and were told that it was booked through until the middle of the next month!
On balance, our complaints were relatively minor and didn't spoil the gorgeous setting and facilities at the Fairmont. After checking out neighbouring resorts and nearby restaurants, we felt that just staying at the Fairmont was our preferred choice for food and setting/activities, no need to venture out, just stay and enjoy it!
Our suite itself was average in condition and decor but the beds and linens were clean and comfy. Having two separate showers in the spacious bathroom was a bonus. We would recommend this as a solid resort with a good overall ambiance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Maui's southern shores at Wailea, Fairmont Kea Lani is Hawaii's only all-suite and villa luxury oceanfront resort. Nestled on the pristine white sands of Polo Beach, this newly renovated Maui resort and spa is situated on 22 acres of lush tropical landscape and offers authentic Hawaiian cultural experiences in a truly spectacular setting. Resort amenities feature our award-winning 9,000 sq.ft. Willow Stream Spa, three swimming pools including an adults only pool and two lagoon style activity pools connected by a 140' water slide, 24-hour fitness center and wellness classes, Kids Club, water sports and beach activities, championship golf and tennis nearby and boutique shopping. Savor a variety of island inspired favorites in the resort's four restaurants. Casual, family and fine dining options include a gourmet bakery & deli, extensive breakfast buffet, relaxed poolside fare, and our award-winning signature restaurant Ko. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Fairmont Hotels, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Kea Lani Maui Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Hotel Wailea
- Fairmont Maui
- Fairmont Wailea
- Wailea Fairmont
- The Fairmont Kea Lani
- Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui Wailea