“Fairmont Kea Lani Maui - A Wonderful Holiday! And restored my interest in Fairmont”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani Resort in Wailea Maui the last week of February in a 3-bedroom Ocean View Villa.

The Fairmont Kea Lani Resort in Wailea Maui truely exceeded all my expectations. In personal service, in location, in amenities, in attitude of the staff, I was overwhelmed by a sense that it was a great place to be and I felt welcomed to this stunning resort in tropical Maui.

It is a beautiful resort, with a sheltered sandy beach, Polo Beach, and numerous swimming pools, beautiful white walled architecture, gorgeous landscaping, and breathtaking sunsets! While in Maui, we had hired a car rental, but we never left the resort once!

The villa is bright, and immaculate and elegantly beautifully. The beds are comfortable and the bedrooms, bathrooms and closets are very spacious. I loved the deck off the top floor bedrooms - to enjoy my morning coffee and watch the day begin. And the ground floor the private courtyard with your own large plunge pool, barbeque grill and lounge furniture were appreciated at sunset!! One negative, was the master bed was a little too soft for my liking, but I found that the other beds were firmer, so switched bedrooms. It can seems an extravagance, but it is so spacious, one or two families can easily be accommodated, and with all the extras, it's also good value!

The Resort has multiple swimming pools so there's plenty of space for families with small and big kids, and peaceful spaces to just relax and rejuvenate. Or if you’re like me, a place to feel like a kid, and ride the 140-foot pool slide multiple times per day. (Its fun for little kids too!)

Service was impeccable. On arrival, the greeter eagerly delivered beautiful flower and kukui leis, and refreshing tropical juice. It hit the spot after the hot drive from Kahului, and set the tone. On checkin, we were driven to our Villa by cart and along the way got a personal tour of the entire resort and then a tour of the villa amenities. Housekeeping were efficient, friendly and courteous, and they transformed our villa each day, restocked the fridge, and replenished our villa!

We found everything we needed. A Welcome Basket for the kitchen was waiting with tropical fruits, local jams, fresh milk and bread, cheeses, snacks (macadamia nuts, chips), pancake and syrup, coffee and teas, and tropical muesli. We visited Caffe Ciao Deli several times, and it stocked an amazing variety of gourmet goodies: prepared food, espresso patisserie, gourmet treats, gelatos and basic staples too! Their salads were a great light lunch, and reasonably priced! $12 for an excellent Chicken Caesar Salad.

We also ate at Kō Restaurant (I have a review on TripAdvisor for Kō) for dinner. I was very impressed, granted I love asian food and innovation, and feel strongly in local grown, sustainable food, so Kō Restaurant is my kind of food!!

I can't say enough about all the staff, who seemed genuine and engaging, and would like to thank them for creating a beautifully memorable holiday!

As a destination, it is well worth the journey.
I will definitely return to the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui!

Room Tip: If you can get a good rate on a Villa, go as a group, and enjoy all the extras!!
6 Thank ClaireFromYVR
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your wonderful review. It’s so nice that you had the chance to experience our 3-bedroom villas. They truly are the best of both worlds – luxury townhome, but with all the perks of a resort experience. Our primary goal is to offer exceptional service for guests, so we’re very pleased to learn of the high level of service you received. Thank you for also reviewing Ko restaurant. It sounds like it was a perfect fit for your tastes. Please visit us again soon. Best wishes and a warm aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Great location, great amenities, great staff, great service, great beach, great food, great snorkeling, great walking/running, great views, great value. You can enjoy other fine Wailea hotels and restaurants. Aloha spirit and Maui lifestyle, sunshine, tropical breezes and natural beauty. What's not to like?

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael I
Newport Beach, California, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Presidents week is always a peak time for travel.. As all parents know, kids get certain vacation windows and sometimes you have to take one for the team. We have a 6 and 9 year old who have never been to Hawaii. We chose Maui to give them their first taste of the islands. My wife and I have done Maui multiple times, but stayed in Lahaina. Nevertheless, decided Wailea is the right side for the kids but did not want to do the Grand W because i knew it was going to be a mad house with families.

The Fairmont looked great on paper but Trip Advisor had some negative trends regarding wear, updating, and service that concerned me, These comments were about 6 months to a year old. Both the Fairmont and Grand W were part of my fine hotels and resorts program at AMEX that included upgrades etc.....

I called the Hotel directly before booking and was transferred to their operations manager, Anthony. He assured me that the property has gone through renovations and that we would be VERY HAPPY. So I booked the Fairmont for a week,

The most impressive part of our experience was that the hotel was at capacity for Presidents week and there was not a single part of the property that felt crowded or stressful. Anything we needed to use or rent was always available with plenty of options to choose from, I did not see guests arguing with staff or stressed out parents with screaming kids. The Hotel was full capacity during a peak family period.and delivered a great vacation to everyone.

The rooms are suites and HAVE BEEN UPDATED!!!, We had a large balcony facing the ocean with two sliding glass doors, We left the doors open all day and night to let the ocean breeze fill the room. Huge bathroom, It was perfect for a Family of 4, Usually, we have to reserve 2 adjoining rooms to get the space we need as a family, .

The pools are separated for Kids and Adults while the beach is right behind you. We rented a Cabana at the pool one day where the staff had it stocked and ready at our convenience, providing an ice chest filled with whatever non alcoholic beverages you want all day. They provided fresh fruit as well. $40 put my daughter in the pool for an hour scuba diving with an instructor. We set up shop from 9 am to 5 pm and it was a perfect home base for a day at the property, I have read complaints about prices of food and beverage, but it is the same at any comparable property, I was a bit surprised that when I ordered a bottled water at the beach hut they charged me $1.30. Had to ask twice as I expected to pay $4+ for water. So I thought that was cool. All about the little things.

The concierge desk was always there to support us when needed, and they did a fantastic job. So did the entire property staff. I went to every part of the property and the service was consistent. I hate paying $25 per day to park a car.at a resort on an island, but the Valet staff was solid and they always provided us with Water, directions, and Mango Iced Tea. Its the little things

So at the end of the stay I went to find Anthony, the operations manager that I spoke with on the phone before booking. I had to tell him to his face that they did an outstanding job, and that he was right, We were VERY HAPPY. The management team at the Fairmont have done a great job bringing all the elements of this property together to create a perfect resort. Well Done Fairmont Kea Lani.

9 Thank Brian C
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Kea Lani for your first family vacation to Maui! We are so happy to that your recent stay exceeded your expectations and that your family appreciated all of the “little things” that make our resort so special. Our employees are proud to offer exceptional service and you can be assured that Anthony passed all of your thoughtful compliments on to the team. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon. Mahalo and A Hui Hou (until we meet again).
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

As a long time fan of the Fairmont chain of hotels, I was satisfied with the Kea Lani - until we tried the Four Seasons next door.

The Kea Lani is an all suites hotel, so there is plenty of room. The decor of the rooms was a little dated (I wondered where the renovation $$ has gone) but comfortable. The microwave and fridge are a definite plus (especially if you don't have the breakfast plan or are traveling with children). The lanai was very large but got very hot in the afternoons. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and there was plenty of closet space and hangers. We found the pedestal sinks in the bathroom difficult to manage as they increased the distance between you and the mirror too far for those who need glasses.

We were somewhat disappointed with the restaurants. While the breakfast buffet was extensive it quickly got boring and you aren't allowed to order a la carte if you have the breakfast rate. (You can at the Four Seasons). Both Ko and Nick's were just OK, nothing special or interesting.

The beach was nice. The "beach boys" set up you chairs and umbrella for you - where they want to, not neccessarily your choice - for no cost. Pineapple and ice water are brought around during the day. The pools are lovely. Especially nice is the separation between adult pool and children's.

The grounds are stunning. A tremendous amount of effort has gone into making this resort lush and pleasing.

This is not a cheap vacation by any stretch of the imagination. However, the staff are pleasant, the resort lovely and rooms spacious and comfortable. There are plenty of restaurants nearby to chose from all within waling distance (or by free Fairmont shuttle) so you aren't limited to eating at the hotel.

I suggest staying here, especially if you have children, and eating at other places. However, if you have the money, the Four Seasons next door is amazing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AmberK
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband, daughter and I have had the extreme pleasure of staying at this beautiful resort many times. All the rooms are suites but if you ever get an opportunity to stay in a "villa", do it! It is an amazing experience. We stayed in the villas 5 times, oceanfront and it's one of the best vacations we've ever been on. You have the first class service of the Fairmont Hotel, the feeling of being home away from home and the nightly sunset, what more can you want and ask for! I can't wait to go back and experience it again!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the best, if possible! Also, if you're not getting a villa, the rooms by the pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JenniferG2000
Pacific NW US city
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We reserved a deluxe ocean view room. I was very disappointed with the first two rooms we were given, as the views were not unobstructed; in fact, one room (on the third floor) was directly behind another building. However, the room we finally got after two trips to Reception had a gorgeous view -- similar to what you see on the website. I think this room was definitely worth the extra $$ -- the others were not so I'm not sure I would pay the extra unless I was assured of a full ocean view.

The room was spacious and clean -- fine for two adults and a child/teen. We ate at Ko one night and the food was very good, service was excellent. I highly recommend the free morning canoe trip. A pod of whales came within several feet of the boat. Amazing!! The beach is crowded -- the chaises are very close together. First day, I forgot my wallet to tip the beach crew. Didn't make that mistake again -- you get much better service with a nice tip...Did the luau at the Marriot -- food and drinks not very good but the entertainment was fun.

By the way, we had sun the whole time, while it was raining in other parts of the island. All in all, if you like larger hotel properties, I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for ocean view rooms. Not all deluxe ocean view rooms are equal.
1 Thank mollypierce
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a beautiful hotel ! Amazing landscaped gardens....we had a seaside villa with private plungepool/bbq and the bonus was that we could see Humpback whales breaching in the sea from our bedroom and the balcony.

The service was amazing in all aspects...poolside service was attentive, valets were spot on, Nicks fishmarket waiters were some of the best I have ever seen, the cleaning ladies for the villa were fantastic and so were the beach guys with getting sunbeds and umbrellas. We also had the pleasure of undertaking a personal training session with Clive Lobo on the beach...he was great and I highly recommend him.

The only negative was one night in Ko, we asked for a table and then they sat us at the bar and didnt inform us when a table was ready, then they sat people who came later than us. We eventually ate at the bar and the food wasnt great.

But overall we had an amazing trip in an amazing location ! One of the best Fairmont properties we have ever stayed in...we loved it so much we hardly left the resort...and it was the perfect place to shelter from Nemo which was battering Boston while we were away !

1 Thank Nicholas S
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to write such an amazing review. We work hard to provide our guests with exceptional service and memorable experiences, so it is extremely gratifying to know this has been accomplished. And how wonderful that the whales put on a show for you! Please know that your comments about Kō will absolutely be shared with the manager and that we value you feedback. Stay warm in Boston and please visit us again soon. A hui hou kākou! (Until we meet again!)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!