Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
$322
$294
AscendHotels
4,871 results
All reviewsko restaurantcafe ciaosuite hotelnick's fish marketcanoe experienceadult poolfour seasonspresident's clubswim up barbreakfast buffetupper poolliving roomour honeymoontwo sinksocean viewwalk in showertop notch
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Kea Lani Hotel . It was our first stay at this property and we definitely will return. The hotel is gorgeous, the room immaculate and the service top notch. My husband puts on an annual meeting in Hawaii and we rotate islands each year so I do have a basis for comparison. A few things that could be improved.... The restaurant for breakfast was mediocre at best. It would have been fine for half the cost but at those prices I should have been overwhelmed. I ate there two mornings and then went to Longhi's the rest of the time. It's actually a pleasant walk from the hotel to the "Shops of Wailea" along the ocean coast path. Secondly, I didn't like their system for doling out umbrellas on the beach. Some of the other other properties had cabanas or more shade options. If you leave your umbrella or chair for any length of time, your towels etc were swooped up and given to someone else. I also can't stand having to worry about whether or not I will be able to get shade around the pool area. When things are crowded it is practically impossible to find shade. As more and more people are concerned with sun/skin cancer risk I think that shade options should be more plentiful. Those were the only negatives. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Always greeted like a welcome guest and the concierge services was great. We got some tips for great hikes and dinner recommendations. I would like to add the the bed was fabulously comfortable....loved the pillows and the sheets were soft and fresh. Twice daily maid service was timely and appreciated.

Room Tip: We had a corner wrap around suite but was on the 2nd floor so although we had a view of the ocean it was more like a view of the top of a building and then the ocean. My parents were on the 4th floor in a regular ocean view room and I actually preferred their less expensive room/view to ours.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was out first trip to Hawaii and we stayed at the Fairmont for a week. We chose Fairmont because of past experiences at other Fairmont hotels. Overall, we were not disappointed.

Pros
-Best location on Maui (in Wailea). Despite little rainfall on the south side of the island, the planned resort area of Wailea is a manicured oasis, comparable to the best in the world.
-The public areas of the hotel (including the extensive grounds) are beautiful. While the building's architectural style is more suited to Mexico, its unique style grew on us.
-Elegant family friendly hotel without pretensions.
-When requested, we received excellent service from the staff. Note, we are "self-sufficient" and "independent" travellers, meaning we only need service when we ask for it. We did not have staff fawning over us at all times (which is good).
-Convenient local shuttle service with friendly drivers ready to help at a moments notice
-Large 1 bedroom suites. This was ideal for us as we needed 2 cribs (one in the bedroom and the other in the living room). When needed, we all had space and privacy.

Cons
- The tile and/or carpet in the hallways leading to the rooms is not very attractive or upscale and gives a below average feel to the guest experience.
- The room decor is not what I would expect of a tropical hotel. The style of the historic rooms in the Royal Hawaiian hotel (in Honolulu) comes to mind when I think of suitable decor. Beige walls, tan/brown/olive fabric is an odd choice when the colors of the landscape are so exotic and beautiful. I suspect the designer had limited choices given the destinct (non-Hawaiian) architural style of the building.

In summary, given our travel budget and our desire for an upscale family friendly experience, I would still choose the Fairmont. If we were without children, and could afford the Four Seasons, we would go there to be pampered in style.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Definitely a beautiful hotel on a beautiful property in beautiful upscale Wailea. That all comes with a certain connotation of associated costs which are often quite exorbitant; but after all, they do cater to the upper echelon of society that has no issue with that. For example, service charges on room service were 2-3 times the price of the meal, a fruit platter costs $18, etc.

That being said, I'm sure that offsets the cost of other offered amenities which were quite helpful. These include free transportation within a certain radius, free loungers/umbrellas on the beach, free bicycle rentals, K-cups/Keurig in the room, getting lei'd on arrival, and fantastic housekeeping staff.

Compared to other Fairmont properties across North America, rooms were bigger and the bathroom was immaculate!

The pools have been discussed widely on this forum, and I agree that the placement of the adult vs. family pool seems to be the opposite of what one would expect. The hot tub is hidden by the family pool (which oddly houses the swim-up bar), but the water temperature is great!

Not sure I would stay there again for the price tag, but definitely did enjoy my experience.

Room Tip: Stayed in a partial ocean view, away from the pools, and very queit!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank big_paan
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The corner suite we stayed in at this Fairmont Hotel had a wrap-around deck with ocean views as well as interior grounds views, a luxurious bathroom with a soaking tub and separate shower, and a fabulously comfortable bed. The living room area was spacious and comfortable, as well. But the most spectacular aspect this hotel was the white sand beach. The water temperature in January was perfect even at 7:00 AM. We went snorkeling and canoeing off the beach; two great adventures. We saw several large sea turtles while both snorkeling and swimming at the beach. The whales were visible in the distance during every day of our stay which was wonderful to watch. Each morning we also walked along the lovely 1.5 mile coastal walkway. There were several pools available which we did not utilize. The restaurants had wonderful food and great service, but were a bit expensive. Overall, an incredible and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dfp6452
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing stay with us and enjoyed all the resort has to offer especially our signature Kilohana Suite. We too love watching the whales and turtles right out front on beautiful Polo Beach, and this is the perfect time of year to do so. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Mahalo and A Hui Hou (until we meet again).

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went to the Fairmont for the 2nd part of our honeymoon back in November. The hotel sits on the same strip with all of the other luxury hotels and is beautiful.

Checkin was easy and they upgraded us as we were a part of their Presidents club (I signed up for this right before the trip).

Rooms - When we arrived at our room it was very spacious and had a nice view of the hotel grounds. We were greeted by a basket filled with local treats courtesy of Liberty Travel as this hotel has their My Time feature.The bathroom was also very spacious as it had dual sinks and a separate tub.

Food - The food was good but definitely a bit on the pricey side if you are here with your family. As we were on our honeymoon we werent that concerned. I would definitely recommend including breakfast in your room rate when booking otherwise it is just too expensive. The pool bar also had really good food, the wings and their dreamsicle drinks are highly recommended. We only ordered room service once and it took too long and was not worth it.

Spa - my husband and I both had two massages during our stay. Our first one was by the ocean. If you are going to go this route I recommend booking it very early in the morning before the beach get packed. Our appt was at 11am and we kept hearing little kids screaming and playing on the beach. The 2nd massage in the Spa itself was very nice.

Hotel grounds - the hotel is very pretty and they take pride in keeping it clean. The grounds were beautiful and had plenty of space to lay out. If you are a smoker you probably will not like the one or two designated places that they have to smoke as it is out of the way. The pools were nice but I think they were oddly placed.

The adult only pool is right by where you have breakfast and there are kids running around. The kids pool is where the in-pool bar is located which makes no sense. They should switch the locations.

Overall I would definitely go back to the Fairmont.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple