“Trip of a lifetime”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed December 7, 2003

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Fairmont Kea Lan, celebrating our 25th anniversary. We were treated extremely well by all the staff. When we got there our reservations had been messed-up by our travel agent and the hotels front staff went to great lengths to help straighten it out. To make things even better they gave us a room upgrade at no additional cose. Something they didn't have to do because it wasn't their error. During our stay we went down to the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea to check them out. While both were 'nice', neither had the same level of class while still making you feel right at home.
If you eat on property, the prices are a little high. But everything is exspensive in Hawaii. We will definetly go back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 30, 2003

My husband and I honeymooned at the Fairmont in October of 2003. It was a dream come true. Definately buy the breakfast buffet package - it is to die for - very fresh excellent variety of of top quality breakfast foods. Service was unbelievable, staff was soooo friendly. Rooms were very pretty, and the bathrooms were excellent, I loved the shower and never wanted to get out! The pools were great because you have the no kids option, of it being quiet, or you can go to the kids allowed pool and go down the slide. I especially loved the mint ice cold towels passed out daily by the pool and fresh pineapple. Yes it is expensive, but it is well worth it. This hotal has thought of all the details!

Reviewed November 29, 2003

We stayed 12 days, starting on November 16 and leaving on Thanksgiving
day. Overall, our experience with the Kea Lani was fantastic. We
debated between Kea Lani & the Four Seasons and opted for Kea Lani
based on the "suite" room--and we weren't disappointed. Both the living
room & bedroom were spacious & comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE (two
sinks, huge tub, separate walk-in shower), with the toilet behind a
separate enclosed door. When traveling with kids, the
microwave/minifridge cannot be overestimated! We received great service
from housekeeping and found our garden-level patio to be a great
addition (for meals, activities for our 8 year old, etc.) The grounds
were beautiful, (torchlit at night) and the beach was pristine and more
than adequate in size. Our son loved the pools & the slide. We were
right next door to the kids club which was outstanding and very
professionally run. Our son went for one day and begged to go back the
next. Bonnie the person who runs it is a sweetheart and great with the
kids (cost is $55 a day for one kid). The concierge service was
excellent ( prepared for any request), while the sevice at the
activities desk was more average (seemed understaffed). The valet
(included) service was wonderful (got towels for us as we departed on
snorkel trips, etc.) There was a slight change for the worse during the
busier few days right before the Thanksgiving holiday holiday as the
pool area became a little overcrowded people were reserving chairs. A
bit frustrating was the $50 a day charge for the shaded "cabana" areas
by the pool and beach (essentially two padded chairs under a shaded
tent), however may be the only way to regulate their use. With respect
to food, Nick's Fishmarket was superb. Pricey but worth it with
outstanding food, service and atmosphere. They even made an impromptu
bed for our son when he fell asleep the first time by pushing two soft
padded chairs together. The buffet was a bit overpriced but we found
the food to be solid. By far the best value was the the excellent
italian deli Cafe Ciao. Everything we tasted there was excellent. We
made many outstanding meals just by combining their various pasta
salads and sandwiches etc. Avoid the attached Italian restaurant
though. Really not worth it.

Overall our experience at Kea Lani was outstanding, although I think it
perhaps slightly more ideal for families than honeymooners. Outside of
the hotel, Shaka Pizza in Kihei was a great hole in the wall for pizza,
hoagies etc as a break from the nice meals. We rented our snorkel
equipment from Snorkel Bob in Kihei. The woman who runs (Sue?) Snorkel
Bob was incredibly sweet and helpful, giving us great tips and letting
us have a free ride on our extra couple of days over the week rental.

Other fun highlights included a hike to the "fish bowl" a wonderful snorkel site reached by walking 30 minutes over the lava fields about fifteen minutes south of Kea Lani ( probably only for older kids though) and snorkeling off of the Maui Prince beach where we had multiple close encounters with the majestic sea turtles. A wonderful vacation for our whole family. Thanks Kea Lani and Maui.

• Stayed November 2003
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2003

On our honeymoon in October, we stayed a few nights each at the Mandarin in Oahu, the Hotel Hana Ranch, and then ended our trip at the Fairmont Kea Lani. All of them outstanding, each for their own reasons.

The Fairmont was at 60% capacity or so, according to a concierge, and the first "Ocean View" room we were offered was at a high floor. Under normal circumstances, this would have been wonderful, except that the entire property to the south of the hotel, between us and the ocean, was under construction. So our Ocean View was more like "Construction View."

Even before the porter had arrived with our luggage, we had it straightened out with the front desk. No rooms were available that would allow a complimentary upgrade, and the north wing of the hotel that would have offered more options was under renovations, so we opted (for a small additional charge) to end our honeymoon in a 2-bedroom, 2-level Ocean Front villa. These villas usually list price at $1900 a night, but they must have had one about to sit vacant during our stay, because we negotiated an astounding bargain.

I cannot express how amazing this villa was, with a bedroom suite on each level. Each of the bedroom-bathroom-closet arrangements were probably larger than our previous NYC apartment! Additionally, downstairs was an open-plan kitchen, eating area, and living room, which opened onto a patio with both a plunge pool, patio furniture, and a stainless steel chef's barbecue. The upstairs entrance to the villa was steps from the pool, and the downstairs patio was steps from the beach.

Enough about that villa -- the rest of the hotel was also amazing. The pools weren't crowded, and we spent each evening at the swim-up pool watching the sunset. Nick's Fishmarket for dinner the first night, and dessert on our last night.

Also, we highly recommend the book "Maui Revealed" to guide you to the best activities on the island. Based on the information we read, we never made a bad choice on how to spend our precious time. For instance, one day I chose to spend a full day at the Wailea golf courses while my wife relaxed at the Fairmont's spa and at the adult pool. Another day was spent with a snorkel/sail trip to Molokini (highly recommend Paragon tours) and our own snorkel excursions off the Wailea beaches. The rest of our stay at the Fairmont was spent relaxed and content, resting on Polo beach, by the adult pool, or cozying up to the swim-up bar.

I cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. Staying in the villa at a discounted rate helped, I'm sure, but we would have loved the Aloha feeling we received here no matter what.

4 Thank BurrNJ
Weymouth, MA
Reviewed November 7, 2003

I spent two weeks at the Kea Lani in Maui and couldn't have had a better time! We were treated like royalty! The staff were friendly and helpful. Yes its pricey but I knew before I left and planned accordingly. We wanted the best and thats what we got! The only suggestion is plan your activities from the locations in Lahaina or nearer the actual departure. The activity desk was the highest prices.
We planned the trip in the "off" season, the hotel was booked completely but there were no problems concerning ability to relax around one of their 3 pools. They also have a beautiful beach to relax on! I am anxious to go back again!

1 Thank Summer337
Reviewed November 2, 2003

My husband and I stayed at the Kea Lani for our anniversary. We were hoping for luxury and romance. We were very dissappointed. The hotel was booked to max. capacity. Pool were overcrowdwed and impossible to get chairs. For the price you literally get nothing. They even charge extra for umbrellas. The breakfast and lunch was terrible and service even worse. We left and went to the Four Seasons. What a world of difference. There we were treated like celebrities!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 29, 2003

My husband, mother in law and father in law visited Maui October 8th thru the 14th. We chose Kea lani because of the reviews I read. I researched for a year before making this choose. It was my mother in laws dream to visit Maui. My husband and I honeymooned 7 years ago and boy did we miss alot on our first trip. Fairmont Kea lani is gorgeous.
EVERYONE was so friendly. Our suite was perfect. I found it very comfortable. We did share the suite with my in laws and the pull out was horrible but what pull out is great?! We ate meals mostly in Kihei.
Wailea was pricey. We also visited Lahaina for meals. Bubba gump's was fun. My biggest suggestion would be DO NOT GO ON THE PRINCESS MAUI DINNER CRUISE! Fairmonts activity desk suggested this. Actually they "highly" recommended this. It was a nightmare. I was so ashamed we took my in laws on this. Research the dinner cruises. As of right now Maui does not have a nice dinner cruise. Be careful this was nightmare. My hat goes off to the Fairmont Kea Lani. We were very pleased. ALOHA!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!