“Beautiful and Relaxing-Most friendly people”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful and Relaxing-Most friendly people”
Reviewed September 24, 2003

Me and my 3 daughters spent 7 days and 7 nights in Maui at the Fairmont Kei Lani----Beautiful and beautiful gracious people.Wasnt ready to come home!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 22, 2003

I just returned from our 10 day trip to Maui. Having been to maui 6 times my family has stayed in 6 different resort from Kapalua, Kaanapali to now Wailea. I've read the great reviews about the Kea Lani and it's 5 star rating was a plus in making my decision. The Lei greeting with guava Juice was a nice touch and the initial impression of the resort was good but not awe inspring like I've read from the other reviews. When we checked in we were offered an upgrade for a suite next to the pool at a discounted rate with one condition that we stay in our original suite for a night. We agreed, thinking for an extra $50 bucks a night we get such a great deal and our original room was facing a construction site next door with loud machinery . When we moved into our upgraded room the next day it was nice unitil we heard construction noise from the level above us. We soon found out why this room was such a good deal--they were renovating the floor above us from 7 am to 4 pm. If I would have know that this was going on I would have never moved perferring the construction noise next door than the annoying hammering above us. I complained to the manager a few times but they weren't really helpful. They're only advice to us was that the construction will only last a day but it went on for the 10 days we were there.

The suite was nice, but not 5 star quality especially the old furniture and carpeting that needed a steam clean( if you view on expedia's virtual tour the room looks bigger than it really is). The large bathrrom was the nicest part of the suite with it's dual sinks and huge shower and tub. The intertainment system was nice as well with CD,DVD, VCR palyers in each room. All in all the rooms was 4 star at best not 5 stars.

The grounds were very well kept and clean. The 3 pools were nice with a decent slide . My toddler loved the children's pool. The beach was a good size and clean--decent boogie board waves for your kids. The service was great with their complimetary pineapple slice and food servers were very attentive. And Yes, the Burgers are $15 but very good--it's huge! I have no complaints about their service and grounds.

The breakfast Buffet was the usual fair nothing too impressive---pancakes , beacon, eggs etc. The outdoor restaurant has a bird problem so be careful not to leave your food unattended because a flock of birds will get to them----It almost was like watching Hitchcock's the Birds when they attacked the food!

I don't want to come off as a complainer but just honest with my experience. Overall, I had a good time but I won't come back. I was expecting 5 star rooms , but what I got was a 4 star room at a 5 star price. For the same price I would stay at the Hyatt on Kaanapali or the Ritz in Kapalua.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 16, 2003

We were considering the Grand Wailea at one point for our family vacation but after reading reviews from various bulletin boards decided on the Fairmont Kea Lani. What a smart decision! The Kea Lani was beautiful! The grounds and buildings were immaculate and the staff was outstanding. We took the beach walkway past the 4 Seasons and Grand Wailea. Although seemingly just as elegant there were more people about, especially children of all ages. The food at the restaurants was very good. However, no visit to the Kea Lani would be complete without dinner at Nick's Fishmarket on the lanai at sunset. It was a perfect way to end our family vacation. Would recommend highly this facility--just be prepared for the high prices and enjoy!!!

Reviewed September 14, 2003

Our experience was truly wonderful from the time we arrived to that sad morning we had to leave. My wife and I spent 10 days there, so we had time to try everything available. The grounds are beautifully maintained, as are the rooms. The pools had a little something for everyone, and we opted to hang out at the adult pool, where it was incredibly quiet and peaceful. Nick's is a must for anyone who visits--the crabcakes are fantastic. In addition, a massage at the spa is well worth the hefty price tag. Although some would say that the beach is a but small, the times we went there was always plenty of room. We will definitely opt for the Kea Lani on or next visit!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2003

My family of 7 (4 Adults & 3 Kids) just returned from the Kea Lani and had a great time. Our connecting suites weren't available for the first 2 nights, so they put us up in an oceanfront 2 Bd Villa for 2 days.
Cabanas by the family pool are ofter reserved in advance, so think about it if you want to sit in the shade at the pool (and get a bucket of ice and water bottles brought to you) The suites are large as are the bathrooms. (Note to parents- the showers have no curtains or doors) The staff is very friendly and helpful and full of suggestions. To save money on equiptment rental we brought our own snorkle equiptment and bought sand toys at the K-mart and boogie boards at the supermarket.
Since the suites have a mini-frig and microwave you can pick up snacks and drinks at the supermarket in Kihie

12 Thank barb f
monterey
Reviewed August 29, 2003

After walking through hotel and grounds in 2001 couldn't wait to stay there. Just returned from 5 nights with 3 children under 10. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. We had to pay extra $$$ to stay in the view room we thought we had originally booked. Aftere the $$$ spent, view was great! Room needed a large overhaul. Bathroom was nice, kids loved the walk in shower, but I found lighting terrible and nowhere to stow bath articles. Closet space very minimal, had to ask for a few extra hangers and closet rod broke! Room definetely needed updating, 'cottage cheese' ceiling, carpets were stained, furniture was worn out. I feel they need to redecorate and it would be perfect! As for the restaurants Nicks Fishmarket was fabulous! Caffe Ciao restaurant and deli were superb! The pool was nothing, kids were bored after one day. One waterslide? If it wasn't for the 'suite' room, I wouldn't even consider staying there again with kids. Next time, get adjoining rooms at the Grand Wailea!

8 Thank my3sonz
Reviewed August 22, 2003

We went on our Honeymon (Feb 2003). Don't pay any attention to the picky people who would complain about receiving a million dollars. The hotel is simply awesome. The beautiful open air lobby was just breath taking. The staff was very attentive anf friendly. They always seemed to know your name. The suites are great. Large balcony. The grounds were well kept and the pools were not over crowded. The beach was small, but not crowded. Calm waters. No real negatives. The food and drinks are expensive there, but that seemed to be the case on the whole island...Drive to the Volcanoe for sunrise (do that on your second day there since you will not be acustomed to the time change), go whale watching, the helicopter tour was awesome and see the lava fields.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!