“A birthday gift to myself”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I decided last minute to travel to Maui for 5 days solo to celebrate my 36th birthday. So I looked at EVERY hotel review on yelp.com & here. Since I only had 3 days before flying out- I was limited on where I could stay since it was labor day weekend & most hotels had already been booked. I saw the Four Seasons & kinda felt a need for some pampering so I said, "why not?"

I arrived & was blown away in a positive way regarding the level of sevice. The staff were all very pleasant & seemed very genuine. The grounds were impecable- perhaps a little too manicured for my taste. The views were magnificent.

I was originally placed in room #626 but wasn't too keen on looking at the putting green & asked if there was another room with a different view that was in the same price category. Boy am I glad I asked! There was indeed! Room #679 which was a 100% better view- the entire gardens with a partial ocean view. The staff was so helpful- it was not quite 3 pm (regular check in time) but my 1st room was available so they let me check in early at 2 pm. When I requested a room switch they offered to move my luggage for me once my room was ready- nice! I went to the pool in the meantime. Wow... I loved the serenity pool, but there was always a wait list for a chair- forget a cabana. There was nice music playing underwater in the serenity pool which is such a nice touch.

The restaurants were not that impressive for the money, but ok. I liked the breakfast buffet at Duo. Drinks were very, very good- loved the mai tai.

I spent one day in the spa. It was nice, but I was disappointed that there wasn't a jacuzzi in the spa- only a small wet sauna. The prices are through the roof for typical services offered in most spas. I had an oxygen facial that was just ok. I was not really able to relax though because she kept talking about which product she was using next & what it did. ugh... I should have got a massage.

I spent 5 glorious nights here. I even had dinner in my room one night. The staff that delivered the meal set up an entire table setting w/ flower arrangement for me- nice touch.
I especially loved the music channels that you can play in the bathroom. I would leave the Hawaiian music playing so it I could hear it upon entering my room.

Housekeeping comes twice a day. They provide a turn down service in the evening & will even place houseslippers near the bed for you.

The bed is just heavenly... like laying in a big fluffy cloud. I really want to duplicate the bed in my own home.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here, but I don't think I will do it again. I prefer a hotel with more personality. I also felt that Wailea was similar- nothing like the character of Paia. I wish I could have stayed at Paia Inn, but they were booked.

The only way to make this type of resort really pay off in my opinion is to literally stay here & never leave. I prefer to go explore.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank AnesthesiaGurl
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for four of our eight days in Maui, after four days at the Sheraton. The FS is much nicer than the Sheraton, but it is still a behemoth of a hotel that doesn't manage what most other FS hotels have in spades. We love the two FS hotels in the Maldives and appreciate the great service and individuality they pride themselves on. The rooms here are nice and the service better than average, but it lacks personality and is still very expensive and even more so if you want an ocean view. It ticks the boxes on paper, and we don't mind paying more for something special, but this hotel loses something in translation.

For starters, the pool area is too small for such a large hotel. As mentioned in previous posts, you have to get up very early to secure a sun lounge by the pool. There were quite a few noisy kids about even though there was supposed to be a separate kids' area. The pool menu specifically mentioned that games like Marco Polo were not allowed at the big pool, but there were MP games every day. We headed to the beach to get a lounge and were amazed (especially for FS) that there was no service on the beach. The beach is nice and the water is wonderful, but having to go all the way up to get anything is annoying. That said, the snacks from the pool bar are tasty and the drinks were very good and I had a lovely spa experience before our dinner at Spago.

We ate at Spago and it was good but not fantastic (the three tuna cones were the standout). We were surrounded by children and it was a lesson to us about different ways of parenting. Where one couple (he was a star of a well-known crime drama) was having an animated discussion with their very well behaved daughter, the other nearest table plonked a DVD onto the table for their daughter with the volume turned too loudly so that we heard every song from The Little Mermaid. We went for a drink at the main bar where Jennifer made a mean margarita, but were surprised how early it closed.

We went out for a few meals and our favourite was Sorrento's at sunset. We also enjoyed our rented convertible for tooling around the island. The Four Seasons was nice, but it all depends what you are used to. We spent one night at the Hana Maui by accident and it was the only hotel that we stayed in that made us say, "Wow!"

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank texanaussie
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We recently stayed at The Four Seasons Wailea for part of our honeymoon in Maui. I should preface my review to say that we are both hardworking people, who came to Hawaii to explore the islands and appreciate the sites and adventures unique to this part of the world. During our trip, we were fortunate enough to stay at many hotels and B&Bs around the islands and I can say that I can definitely see why so many people love this place. The resort itself is beautiful, with a staff that truly seems to care about your stay.I think that for us, for this trip, it was not the best fit as we did not come all of the way to Maui to stay all day at the hotel (which is what this hotel seems set up for), but that, unlike some other luxury hotels, the Four Seasons Wailea seems to not just take your money for granted as the staff and amenities go above and beyond the typical and justify the hefty price tag and if we had wanted a place where we would be happy spending all day the hotel, this would have been it .

Reviewed September 1, 2010

This is one of the most expensive Four Seasons we have ever stay at (and we have stayed more than 20 over the years) and unfortunately you don't get the value for what you spend. I'll break out each section for easy review:

Hotel Condition: Older, but well maintained. Overall, this is not an issue

Rooms: Never book one of the "partial ocean view suites" (North Tower, rooms X84-X90, even numbers on any floor) as they have an excellent view ... of the garbage area. We were awakened every morning at 6:30 to the sound of garbage trucks backing up to pick up trash. It was impossible to sit outside and enjoy any peace at was literally like watching moving trucks (and hearing) all day long and we were on the 7th floor, can't imagine how the lower floors would be. They have no business selling these rooms for $1200 per night. The rooms themselves are ok, but you have to look out at angle to see anything other than the Grand Wailea next door. The room itself is ok, nothing special.

Food: You can expect $50+ per entree, which is ok when the food is good. Ferraro's is decent and has a good view of the ocean. We liked that restaurant and would go back. Spaggo was awful, the service was completely inept as they actually missed a course. Eaten at Spaggo in LA and was nothing like that. Duo is average, but again really over priced. You will not get out of any of them for less than $350 for two people if you get a bottle of wine (not expensive wine as the markup is roughly 4X retail). We ate at the breakfast restaurant most mornings, its not bad, but is $35 per person, again your on holiday so its to be expected and the food is good. They do run out of things and take quite a while to replenish and the wait staff is a bit lazy as you serve yourself so they forget to bring you coffee or juice frequently.

Pool: A bit run-down, but very good service as the pool staff definitely takes very good care of you. We got a $95, 30 minute foot massage that was absolutely terrible. She didn't know what she was doing at all. The pool food is actually pretty good, recommend the quesadillas and get a Mojito to drink. You have to get there by 6:30 to get any kind of decent spot though. Don't let them kid you on this one.

Beach: Very unimpressive. The water is fairly clear, but there is really nothing to see if you want to snorkel. The biggest issue is that its very rough and you won't be able to swim unless you do so in the morning as they stopped renting any equipment (including body boards and masks) by about noon as the red flag is out for dangerous surf. This happened every day we were there. The sand is soft though. Its connected to the Grand Wailea, so you have a party atmosphere between the two. Its up to you if you want peace and quiet or lots of people, this is the later. The beach chairs are in definite need of upgrade as they are from the 80s.

Concierge: Wow! They are completely incompetent and in one case downright rude. We booked at volcano tour with them that was supposed to include the rain forest, but unfortunately they booked us on one that included a Lavender Farm (boring), Winery (was really great for our 8 year old) and village tour (which is actually just a crappy tourist trap). The woman never wanted to admit her mistake and made it sound like they were doing us a favor. There one woman named something that sound like Peacock, who was actually very good. Helen is an idiot and would avoid her at all costs.

Valet: Watch your bags! The morons forgot to put half our bags in the car when we left for the airport and we almost missed our flight. Our taxi driver helped yell at them to get them delivered (They actually were not going to do it and told us to have our taxi driver come back to get them, which would have been challenging as its 40 minutes away from the airport).

Taxi: They are very expensive so if you are going to go Mama's Fishhouse, keep in mind that you will have a $70 taxi ride EACH WAY.

Other Restaurants: Nick's Fish House (next door at Fairmont) is outstanding, the best meal we had on the island. Sorrento's on the Beach has an incredible view and good food. Its about a $25 taxi ride, but enjoyed it. Eat there at sunset.

Final Thoughts: Check your bill! We were charged for several things that were not ours and they also never removed charges for the tour that they had promised to do. This is a decent hotel, but honestly for the money you expect a Four Seasons and what you get is really more like a low end Marriott. The Bali, Nevis, Buenos Aires, Grand Bahama, Punta Mita Four Seasons are all significantly nicer than this one. The only one that was actually worse was the Palm Beach one which was a recent purchase when we went so was not up to their normal standards.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
9  Thank 300KperYear
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife has always dreamed of going to Hawaii so we decided to do it right and stay at FS. We were not disappointed in the least.

Right from the moment you drive up the service is top rate. Even the lower priced rooms are spacious and well appointed.

As for food, everything we had was fantastic. We tried breakfast at DUO and in our room and the even set you a table with a centerpiece on your balcony. For lunch we tried Ferarro's and eating poolside, both were great. Dinner at both Ferarro's and DUO was exceptional and we went early enough to get an unobstructed view of the sunset.

The main pools are quite loud and full of families, but the serenity pool area is wonderful for a couple on a romantic getaway. The beach is perfect white sand and the ocean is very clear. There are rocks 20 yards out but there is plenty of white sand to swim and play in the waves. Waves usually come in the afternoon. Right beside the beach there is a reef that is filled with snorkelers and fish.

It is true what they say about celebrities, they are all over the place here. We saw some very big names hanging out. It's great how no one disturbs them and the hotel staff treat everyone the same. We even got a better table than one of the celebs (we were blocking their view of the ocean :)

Service was amazing. They kept coming with water and treats all day. They would even use your name on the beach (I'm amazed how they keep it all straight who is where on the beach). One time my wife went to throw out some garbage and one of the attendants intercepted her and took care of it! Even the sunscreen is included. Room service leaves on the radio and fills the ice... there is hardly anything you have to do for yourself EVER.

Overall we had a fantastic experience and I can't wait to go back. Next time I would skip the car rental and spend all of the time on the resort.

Some tips:
- Be prepared to tip. We gave between $5 and $10 to the Valet, Bellhop and the people who set up your chairs. Self-serve is NOT an option here (Get used to it and you may like it)
- Get to the serenity pool by 6:00 if you want a seat, otherwise use the waiting list (they will call you, it's actually not a bad option if you want to spend the morning on the beach/garden/main pool)
- If you miss seats at the serenity pool try the ultra private seats beach facing in the garden (fantastic place to spend the day) they are limited but we found spots as late as 7:30
- Unless you plan to eat away from the resort plan on at least $200 per adult per day minimum for food. With gratuity and taxes. It's pricey but really good food! There are not really alternative inexpensive options in the area. You can save on drinks by going into Kehei or the Shops at Wailea and stocking your in-room fridge
- Snorkeling gear is free for the first hour and you don't have to go very far to see tropical fish and turtles
- There is a $6 charge per day for internet and $20 per night for valet, but you will quickly not mind since it is a fraction of the burn rate at this place :) There are a lot of complimentary items (use of beach tote, morning coffee, muffins, freezer pops, sun screen, etc).

4  Thank justin_foster
Reviewed August 31, 2010

As everyone says, absolutely amazing. No better "aloha" hospitality anywhere. Every detail and wish attended to. Staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. Food and service at Spago especially noteworthy as outstanding. An amazing honeymoon destination. More families than I would have expected, but the separate kid's pool kept the adult pool primarily for adults. We will be back without question and could not consider staying anywhere else in Maui after this unprecedented experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Service is outstanding. It was a nice surprise to find a birthday card and two trays of desserts in the hotel room ready for me.
The room is spacious and the hotel provides you with daily newsletters.
It was amazing that there are complimentary activities such as yoga, meditation, gym facility, outrigger canoes, snorkel gear, and aerobics. The outrigger canoe ride was awesome. The guides are very informative and helpful. I got to see a few sea turtles come up to the canoe. We paddled about 10 minutes from the beach and had the opportunity to jump out of the canoe for a quick dip.
The serenity pool was unique since it was adults only with a pool side bar. It was very relaxing and the waiters come around frequently to provide you water and any drinks to your likings. In the pool, there is music underwater.
The service is amazing and every worker treats you like a royalty.

2  Thank lcs55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!