“spend the extra $ for a one bedroom suite”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Park Ridge, Illinois
“spend the extra $ for a one bedroom suite”
Reviewed April 27, 2007

We stayed at FS Maui for three nights in October 2005. The property was excellent! I will always remember the drive from the airport to Wailea and "the dewy sweet smell of pineapple" in the air. It was just as Newmann described on Seinfeld.

As expected the porperty is perfectly maintained and the service exceptional. We were offered an upgrade to a partial ocean view one bedroom and really appreciaed the extra space. I'd book this again next time.

The pool area is elegant and the complementary cabanas are a great touch. The beach was small but very private. Magnificent sunsets are the norm. Eat at Wolfgang Puck's and watch the evening sky come alive. If you can't relax here you cant relax anywhere.

• Liked — relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Some may find iWailea a little too remote for a full week.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JP3CHICAGO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boulder, CO, USA
Reviewed April 27, 2007

Well, what can one say? It's pretty much everything you could expect from a luxury resort...you're waited on hand and foot and pretty much treated like nobility (if not quite royalty). This can be good and bad depending on your personality (DIY types may feel bothered), but it is what you expect from such a hotel, and you can be sure it's what you get.

We were upgraded to a suite at no charge, and although it was on the outer (northeast) side of the resort and thus did not have a great view off the terrace, the suite was large and lavish (esp. the bathroom). A room facing the inner courtyard would be preferable for viewing purposes, but it's hard to knock a suite.

The poolside and beachside service is impeccable...lay back and allow the offerings of water, fruit, etc. come to you.

The only downer, albeit very minor, is that the parking situation at the time was such that you could not park your own vehicle. This meant $10/day plus tips for the valets, and having to walk all the way to the farthest side of the building to get to our room. Whereas it was clear that the parking layout could have allowed us to park very close had we only had the option. After several days, it became kind of cumbersome to leave the resort.

Still, an experience that is worth having, and a very classy place indeed. Prices are high, yes, but you can be sure that you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Location, appearance, service, overall grandeur
  • Disliked — Parking situation
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wmozart5
atlanta,ga
Reviewed April 25, 2007

We loved to read these reviews before our trip so I feel I have an obligation to write one for all of you planning a trip to 4S maui!!! The place is MAGNIFICENT-- the grounds are amazing-- we stayed club level prime ocean view suite for our wedding/honeymoon for ten days then traveled to costa rica for 7 days following!!! MAUI was my favorite. The island is so full of life, and you gotta love that it is americanized!!!

Club level was great-but have to say the only reason is that you are on the top level and we had an amazing view!! Looks as if the lower levels don't have the view.......We really disliked the food at the hotel (DUO,SPAGO,FERRAROs)so we found ourselves leaving the place alot. I mean the food is not HORRIBLE but we were on vacation ,,,and it was far from GREAT!!! I suggest Longhi's at the wailea shops good breakfast lunch and dinner, and waterfront was amazing tooo... lots of GREAT food away from 4s.

But the place really is amazing-- the pool and beach are great they really pamper you, we never had trouble finding a place. Look for Mercedes she was the best!!! And pick the valet (jason) brain before touristy trips, we found them MUCH help!!!

The gym was being set up our second day-- so I do have to say WE LOVED IT, I think that we were the very first people to use it!! We workout 4 times a week at home so we LOVED the fact that they had PLENTY of free weights and equiptment for everyone!!

So much we did in our ten days, and I am soooooo missing it there. If you can handle being pampered(and paying for it) THIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — BATHROOM!!Bring bath salts!!
3 Thank jaidakiss
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife and I just returned from five wonderful days at the FS. The management of this property clearly is doing something right. The staff tirelessly strives to anticipate and exceed the guests' needs and expectations. The pool area is beautiful and the service staff makes an enjoyable venue almost heavenly with prompt service, great food, refreshing cold towels, tasty pineapple, and excellent drinks. The rooms are large and bathrooms even more spacious. The bed and bedding was very comfortable. The large plasma tv was very nice. The in-bathroom music with genre selector was luxurious. The tennis courts are complimentary for one hour each day, including ball machine. The weight room is sufficiently sized and equipped. The spa treatments and facilities are first rate. The concierge is very helpful and valet parking was prompt. We've stayed at some very nice resorts, bu this was the best to date. The Princeville in Kauai may enjoy a better natural setting, but its facility and staff are inferior to the FS at Wailea.

• Liked — Service and Facilities
  • Disliked — Had to leave and come home
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank VJWIndy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2007

This was our 4th visit to the FS, Maui and it just gets better and better. We stay on the club level which is expensive, but has the most wonderful service with a friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgable staff.

The hotel renovations were nearly all completed during our stay, and although we didn't think it was that bad before, it is even better now.

The only downside to the FS on Maui is the main swimming pool which is obstructed by a huge fountain in the center. This takes up a lot of space which could be better suited to actual swimming. Also, it would be nice to see better enforcement of maintaining a separation between the kiddie pool and adult pool. There were often toddlers and babies in the adult pool which we folks without children did not appreciate.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Pool
6 Thank A36traveler
South Florida
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Needless to say this review is long over due. It's been nearly a whole year since I stayed at this magnificent hotel and I felt it was only right to write a review since I find myself using this website as a travelling "bible".

My wife and I stayed here for 4 of the 9 nights of our honeymoon and it is by far, the best hotel I've ever stayed at, and I stay at a lot for business.

I know this hotel is pricey, but after this experience, whenever we vacate, Four Seasons is where we look first because for those who work hard, we deserve to be pampered.

The rooms are very well kept, the grounds are gorgeous and it has one of the best pools around by far. It was never too noisy and never too busy - the view overlooking the ocean is priceless.

When I booked the hotel room, I advised them that it was my honeymoon and as previous reviews stated, a bottle of champagne was waiting for us. Unfortunately, due to the high season, there were no room upgrades available, but the concierge would leave us a message every day letting us know if tthere was any rooms available, which puts this hotel in an entirely higher class of service. Somehow, when I would approach the concierge desk, they always knew my last name, which is extremely shocking since most people have a hard time pronouncing back home (East coast, USA).

The cabanas at the pool came in very handy and made it quite comfortable and relaxing. All part of the amenities for the price you pay for the room. They do come around and spritz you which is kind of nice and provide you with fresh fruit (free of charge). The food was a bit pricey but you have to expect that - it's Hawaii! What 4-5 star hotel have you stayed at where the price of food was decent. The food is amazing, though, so there was no complaints on my end and I love to eat...Again, I may be bias but since I travel so much for work, that I'm willing to pay the extra dime to get the quality and service of this hotel.

The valet parking was quick and efficient. You can call down ahead of time and they'll have your car waiting. One day the Jeep top was down (recommend the jeep) and it was about to rain and when I asked if they could help me put the top up, they took full control without even hesitating and got it up in no time.

Everyone in this hotel is very friendly - employees and guests! There weren't a ton of children so it was very nice and pleasant as well...considering we were on our honeymoon.

They had a game room when you wanted to take a quick break from the sun and play pool or ping pong. The gym was outside and with the weather, it was gorgeous.

So to conclude, probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at. The hotel was absolutely beautiful and the service is as good as everyone says it is. I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay at Maui.

• Liked — Cleanliness, grounds, food, pool, and SERVICE (worth every penny)!!
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank LuvToVacate
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Stayed twice in early 2007. Best resort on Maui if price is not an object. I'm convinced Wailea Beach is the best location on the island for a beach stay. Four Seasons and Grand Wailea share this excellent beach. This entire area is master planned as an upscale community, lovingly maintained, and central to most of Maui. As a result this area doesn't seem nearly as crowded as the other main resort areas.

On the flip side the town of Kihei is just 5 minutes up the road when you want to escape the master planned atmosphere and wander around kitschy shops, funky restaruants or find a fast food place or grocery store.

If you are a sun lover the pool areas/cabanas/beach facilities are amazing. Four Seasons service is outstanding. Rooms are large and all have balconies. The only tough decision is choosing a room category. Because of the design of the buildings, only a few very expensive suites on the ends of the two wings have direct beach views. Everything else is an angled view across the beautiful courtyard and pool areas with a glimpse of the ocean. Unless you are on floor 5 or higher you won't even see much ocean.

In my opinion, only the ocean view prime category has a view worth paying for. If you don't want to spring for these $800-900 rooms, I would seriously consider booking the cheapest room in the place and simply spending your time lounging in the many beautiful common areas with chairs and tables, or by the pool.

14 Thank JtravelerDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!