18 people are viewing this hotel
$3,350
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
$3,350
Lol.travel
$3,269
Priceline$3,350
Hotels.com$3,350
FindHotel$3,535
6,559 results
All reviews serenity pool our honeymoon top notch lobby lounge club level ice water main pool worth every penny game room ocean view pineapple impeccable service outrigger canoe adult pool the big island pool staff the ritz
Selected filters
Reviewed September 11, 2019

I very much enjoyed my "staycation" in Wailea at the Four Seasons! All the staff is amazing and friendly and every need I had was attended to. As a resident of South Maui its nice to get away and enjoy !
Mahalo!

Date of stay: September 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Four Seasons
MarkAJSDOM, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2019

Aloha alanarucynski, and Mahalo for your kind comments and excellent rating. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay - we look forward to welcoming you back soon . . .

Reviewed September 9, 2019

We stayed almost a week at the Four Seasons, returning Labor Day. Our stay was WAY below Four Seasons standards. Much as I like room upgrades I appreciate them at the time of check in, not 2 days later when I have to re-pack everything and move, and not if by the end of the trip it feels like it was done so I wouldn't write a review since no one bothered to check on us after that point nor at check out. Our upgrade was offered as a way to placate us after a series of poor experiences within the first 48 hours.
We checked in and were not offered an upgrade initially, a benefit we get with our Amex. In fact our Amex survey specifically asks if an upgrade was at all mentioned at the time of check in. It wasn't. Then started a slew of weird incidents. The first day we were ignored by the server at breakfast. She was very nice to the tables around us, so wasn't like she was having a bad day. Then we had to play the weird rat race style cabana game in the morning that so many reviews mention. There was a pool girl that was putting everyone's names down. We were kind of wedged between other parties that were putting their names down. So she puts the names down for the cabana right behind us and logically should have come to us next. Then she goes to the end of that row, comes around and does the last cabana in our row. These two rows are back to back to each other. She looks at us, makes eye contact, then decides that she would rather have us wait than the people in a completely different row. I was so upset by the blatant catering to the other people that I started calling out as she walked away: excuse me! She ignored me. Now livid, I go and stand behind her with my toddler so she couldn't ignore me or so I thought. She still completely ignores me and heads back. Unbelievable!

Then we go to the beach and are told if we have a cabana we can't be given an umbrella since several other guests are abusing the cabana policy and holding down both a cabana and an umbrella. !! So wait- you have entitled guests (which is absolutely true) so I should suffer? You won't tell those people to vacate but my kid should get a sunburn? Which she did.

One time at the pool we got our kid's meal served with someone else's dirty plate on it as a cover. There was also an incident at Spago. We reported all of these incidents and they were in a bit of a tizzy which we understand and appreciate.
The problem with a lot of these instances was that we were observing a lot of the staff catering to guests with a lighter skin tone shall we say. It was so bad that we ended up having a conversation with a local who confirmed that a lot of that exists in Hawaii. What's confusing is we have stayed at the Ritz, Andaz, the Fairmont before this stay and while the Fairmont stay was really crappy overall we still never felt like any one else was being treated better than us. That feeling only materialized at the FS.

Speaking of guests: it was a legitimate zoo at the pool. A number of entitled people. The resort seemed to have no control over this. At one point we saw a guest dunk his kid in the pool in the middle of a diaper change and then announcing 'all clean!' Just wow. There was another kid first running around in a soiled diaper and then the parents decided why bother with a diaper and just sent the kid running naked around the pool. That surely isn't an accident waiting to happen and of course insanely classy to boot.

The hotel's common areas while beautiful are absolutely not big enough to handle the number of rooms at the property. I couldn't even believe the number of rooms they have for the size of the lobby and pools. No wonder it felt like a zoo.

After we gave all this feedback we really only had a couple days at the property and we were told they'd take good care of us since so much had gone wrong. So I go to the pool and request a cabana the next day. I am told there are only chairs. I said sure no problem. He did not say if a cabana opens up I will put you in etc. Then a different demographic than me shows up. I kid you not, one of the guys that waved me over to the chair was the same guy who rushed them over, profusely apologized, and then told them they will get the first cabana that opens up. Errrr? To what do I owe the pleasure of not being considered for a cabana? You can't be serious. We are in 2019.

Then I order drinks, they are delivered at 10.55am. We are done in the next 25 mins or so and start looking around for someone to get us another round. Then at 11.50 we were just hot and over it so we pack everything and head on back to our room. We get a call in our room asking if the check can be closed out. Thanks for taking such good care of us. That was the end of our time at the main pool that day given the service.

We then signed up to be waitlisted for the 'serenity pool' which looked like the Fyre Festival. You go through the lobby, through the valet and arrive at an afterthought of a pool. We put our names down and never heard back. At all. How is that possible? We did get the confirmation text so wasn't like they got our number down wrong.

The next day my husband wanted to take our kid to the beach. I was in a cabana and the food orders based on precedent started getting taken around 11.20-11.30 at the cabanas. We decided that I was going to order us food and that he would come back by noon for the food. The server passed me by several times, took people's orders but apparently I wasn't worthy of being asked if I wanted anything. Then at noon the other server comes around takes my order and we have the food at 12.35. While the other server was taking my order at noon I saw food being delivered to the other cabanas. Another stellar experience.

The last day I discovered a screw- yes, a screw- just hanging out on the carpet near the dresser. Also an accident waiting to happen. They would have heard about that loud and clear if my child had accidentally stepped over it. We were quite shocked. But we were also just over giving feedback. Amid all this housekeeping rang the bell 3 times and then entered our room. While we were still inside getting dressed. We were still a good half hour away from the time we were supposed to check out.

It isn't my job to continuously follow up and call to give feedback while on vacation. We were expecting someone to genuinely ask at check out how everything went and I would have voiced all that went wrong even after the upgrade. But the girl checking us out could not care lesser it seemed. The screw is in the drawer left of the bed, FS. We picked it up for you. You're welcome.

There are definitely good people at the property that got completely overshadowed by the pool staff. Heck, even the good pool staff got overshadowed by the bad ones. The valets are great, bell desk is great as well, Monica and Ashley at Duo, Becky at the lounge bar- all great.

If you have a bad experience here please do not hesitate to voice it. I was dismissed when I said some of the staff is definitely catering to a whiter demographic. If something seems amiss, please say it so no one can stay blind to the fact that if you a minority you might have a lower service standard than the other folks here. It's easy to give the benefit of doubt in these instances but on the other hand, the hotel should strive harder to treat every one equally so these doubts don't arise in the first place.

7  Thank R E
MarkAJSDOM, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

Aloha R E, first of all, please allow me to apologize for your difficult stay. I must say, I have been responding to TripAdvisor reviews for a long time and I have not heard one like this, it certainly is not how we run our business. My sincere apologies.

Please may I ask that you contact me? I would love the opportunity to speak to you.

mark.simon@fourseasons.com

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from 8 nights at this resort. It was our first tike in Hawaii and we could not have had a better experience.

Hotel/room:

The hotel is older but beautiful. We were upgraded a few categories from the Mountain View and we loved our room! The bathroom is huge with a tub and glass shower. The beds are comfortable and all of the rooms have a balcony, we even had partial ocean view! The service at this hotel was top notch. Our room was always cleaned and organized, everyone is super friendly, and they address you by your last name which I found to be a nice touch.

Pools: There are 3 pool options- kids pool, main pool, and the serenity pool which is adults only. The views from the serenity pool are amazing and there is also a swim up bar. The main pool is ok- there aren’t really any views of the ocean so that was not my favorite. The best spot in my opinion is the chairs that are set up overlooking the beach. You have to get up super early (6:00) to get these seats but it is well worth it! There are also cabanas which are nice when you want to be completely out of the sun, as it does get hot.

Shout out to Connor at the pool! He was my favorite! Always walking around with a smile on his face and saying hello.

Love the massages at the pool, nice touch and well worth it as they are less expensive than going to the spa! We each did 30 minutes for ~$100 each.

Beach: The beach is not huge but it is gorgeous. The sand is soft and the best time to go in the water is the morning because the water is calm. There are beautiful reefs right off the beach so we went snorkeling a lot!

Restaurants: we ate at Ferrari’s which was our favorite. They have the best views of the ocean and the food is very good. Duo was good as well but also very expensive ($300+ for drinks, appetizer, 2 entrees and dessert). We did not eat at Spago as we heard from several people that it’s very expensive and the food is just ok.

We ate at Monkeypod which is a short ride from the resort. Inexpensive and great food and drinks. We also ate at the restaurant at hotel wailea which was excellent. It was expensive but the food was delicious and it has gorgeous views of the ocean. The resort will drop you anywhere in wailea for free which was very helpful. Otherwise there is uber. We took an Uber to The Mill House which is on a plantation about 30 minutes from the hotel. This was one of our favorite things that we did. Amazing food and drinks and a very unique view. Highly recommend!

Excursions: we went scuba diving with Jerry at Wailea Scuba and he was absolutely wonderful. We paid for him to be our private guide which wasn’t cheap but he is so patient and knowledgeable. We felt very safe with him and would definitely recommend this if you are new to diving.

We also did Road to Hana. Shout out to Jamil at the concierge for taking us through everything and giving awesome recommendations. We rented a Jeep through the enterprise at the resort which was great to have for this trip. There are so many beautiful stops. Definitely recommend.

I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. Thank you for an amazing stay!

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole D

Aloha NikkiDonovan and thank you for the thorough review and excellent rating - we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks especially for acknowledging some of our star employees. We will make sure they are recognized accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon . . .

Reviewed September 6, 2019

I brought my three daughter in laws for a girl's trip to the Four Seasons Maui. The staff were amazing and made our trip even more special. The amenities were over the top! We were treated like VIP's from the time we arrived until the time we left. I will definetely choose Four Seasons for future travel!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Four Seasons
2  Thank AngieF451

Aloha AngieF451, and thank you for the wonderful review and excellent rating. We are so glad that you and your daughters in law enjoyed your girls trip to Maui.

Please come back! We look forward to welcoming you soon . . .

Reviewed September 6, 2019

This place is a mixed bag. By far this property sits on the most beautiful stretch of beach in south Maui, with a lovely sandy bottom and generally calm waves. The staff was friendly...but (see more below). The rooms were lovely, but a bit perplexing with odd use of space. The main pool is too small and cannot comfortably handle the number of guests at the property. I cannot imagine what this place is like in the height of summer with tons of kids. The serenity pool is amazing as advertised. I had an incredible massage on a perfect day in a little hut next to the ocean - for $375. I paid $1500/night for my room after being encouraged to upgrade at check in ("why are you here?" my mom recently died and I'm treating myself. "oh, can I interest you in an upgrade?") which in hindsight just felt icky - the room I was upgraded too was way more room than I - a single traveler - needed. This practice of offering upgrades was prevalent throughout my stay - at check in, at the pool, in my peaceful little hut by the beach. The food and drinks here are average and overpriced. There were other odd things - a lovely garden area overlooking the pools and grounds and a perfect place to watch the sunset - but no where to sit. The property is showing its age in many places. It needs a major overall which may continue to justify it's sky high prices, but for now it was a one time only overpriced experience with some lovely sunsets and swims. I will not return.

4  Thank 903stacik

Aloha 903stacik, and I am so sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. My sincere apologies.

May I ask that you contact me please? It feels awful to read your disappointment and I would love to help if I can.

mark.simon@fourseasons.com