“Cant say one bad thing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
A TripAdvisor Member
“Cant say one bad thing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

My Husband and i went there on June 5th, for our honeymoon. We stood there 8 days, and we thought it was the most amazing place ever. We travel all over, and I must say that I am so picky when it somes to hotels, and have the highest expectations when checking in to a hotel. The fs certainly surpassed all expectaions. The service was amazing, the food was delicious ( and being from new york we are used to the best resteraunts) , the rooms were very clean and didnt seem as outdated as others had expressed. The workers were the most accomodating that I have ever seen, at the pool they were the best. Tip them a few dollars every day, the really work very hard, they set up cabanas for you, put your towels out, spritz you with evian, give you frozen grapes, great poolside service (as far as drinks and food) etc.
Ferarras and spago were both unbelievable. Now heres the deal, everything is very expsensive, but well worth it. I feel like although it is very $$$, you get so much in return, such as the gym, cabanas, beautiful lobby, concirege that will do anything you need( in fact we were heading to vegas and they made all my dinner reservations for us ), and impeccable service. Cant say one bad thing!! enjoy! just get to pool early to reserve a cabana.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Manhattan, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

Not impressed. "Full Ocean View Room" means if you look real hard, and crane your neck out of the balcony, you may see ocean. "Lunch" means $75 for an overcooked burger, gross resort pizza, and two average tropical drinks. "Resort" means cramped grounds with too little lounging space and rubbing shoulders with 500 pompous guests. "Service" means welcome to the Hilton, but you look rich so give me an extra $200 a night. I am not uber-rich, but I have stayed in plenty of nice, expensive hotels. It feels like a business hotel, eventhough it is supposed to be the cream of paradise. I will skip this one next time...

• Stayed May 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank TravelingMan577
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

I recently returned from an 8-night trip to Maui. Five of our nights were spent in Ka'anapali, but we splurged and spent the last three nights of our trip at the Four Seasons. This hotel really is wonderful. If I had any complaints, it would be that the pool is small and lacks any original features and the atmosphere is a little too "see and be seen" to ever allow for true relaxation. Yes, this place is expensive, but you are treated royally. The staff is very friendly and helpful without being overly formal, which I like. You feel welcomed and remembered more so than doted on.

We had a mountainside room. Our room was quite large and our view adequate. Note that these rooms overlook the parking garage. The 4S has done a nice job of camouflaging that fact by adding really beautiful landscaping. Though the view isn't a far cry from what it would be in an oceanview, the mountainside rooms are very, very private. I've read complaints about the mountainside rooms having a view of a large construction project going on up the hill from the 4S. It's true, there is a very large project back there. We really had no view of this project (a tiny sliver) but I could see how some rooms would be impacted.

This property had really great bathrooms with a nice separate tub - a necessity for me in any luxury hotel. The pool area was really nice and that's where we spent most of our time. The cabanas are free on a first come, first served basis. This gives East Coasters a distinct advantage as you're likely to arise at 6:00 am every morning due to the time change. We never had a problem getting a good place with shade. We never really used the beach as we couldn't seem to pull ourselves from the comfort of the pool. The lounge chairs are really more comfortable than most beds I've slept in.

Pacific Grill restaurant was just okay and Ferraro's was decent for lunch. We had a nice seaside cabana massage - I highly recommend. My masseuse was just okay, but the experience was wonderful. The locker rooms, weird as it sounds, were wonderful. They had the best shower heads and toiletries.

Overall, I didn't love Maui, but that wasn't the 4S's fault. Everything about this hotel was top-notch, but I never felt any "hawaiian" culture on Maui, period. Wailea is a wonderful area (the best I saw on Maui), and this hotel is just right for those who want to get away and treat themselves. Don't expect seclusion though - if you want that, go to Lanai and visit the 4S property over there.

21 Thank Alw1977
san diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

I will start off with all of the good things that come along with the very high price. My boyfriend and I stayed on the club level 8th floor and I think it is worth the extra money. The breakfast had a good variety of breads, cereal, and each day a different hot item. They serve afrernoon tea with hourderves, and after dinner dessert and drinks. We were able to live with all of the snacks and go out for a nice dinner. The staff I would say is probably the best thing about this hotel. They remember you by name and are there to cater to your every need. The hotel grounds are also very beautiful. Depending on what type of traveler you are-the things that bothered me may not bother you. When we travel our main goal is to relax and use the facility. Getting a seat at the pool/beach bluff that is worth anything MUST be done by 7am. I would be up and out waiting at 6:30 and by 7:30 all of the spots that had the view were taken, you cannot leave your spot for more than 20 minutes or your chairs may be re-issued. They will give you a 2 hour window between 11-2. You cannot reserve your chairs only wake up with the sun. We learned this the hard way by sitting staring at a hedge on our first day. I think the policy is a bit weak. The resort was very crowded and really felt crowded people everywhere, so if you are looking for privacy you will not find it hear the beach is small and gets crowded too. The room is so not anything to talk about, we had an "ocean view" room that you had to look out the side of the room to see, the main view from our room was the road that lead into the resort yes cars driving by all day long. The bathroom is huge and in my personal opinion should be smaller and give more attention to the room. Again some of the things that bothered me would probably not bother most, but overall the resort is nice it has some nice perks, check out the gym very nice, would we choose to stay there again? Probably not. We stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali last Sept. and I would go back there first. Maui overall is pretty busy now so if you are looking for a quiet layed back place maybe Kapalua would work.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank princessbrenna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

Just returned from my honeymoon in Maui and the Four Seasons is amazing. From start to finish we loved every part of it and never wanted to leave. The rooms were huge, the bathroom even bigger and our room had a deck big enough for 2 lounge chairs. The pool had cabanas and the staff will set you up. They constantly come around to give you ice water and sometimes cold fruit. Everyone was super helpful. Go eat at spagos. The meal was amazing and the view even better. I am counting down the days till I can go back there.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Maui where we stayed at the Four Seasons from 5/31-6/3. We stayed in a mountain view room (742) which was very spacious with its high ceilings and very large and private lanai. From our arrival, we were greeted by name and with beautiful leis. Since we arrived at noon, our room was not ready so they took our cell phone number and allowed us full access to the property and spa/locker rooms to freshen up. We also received a free bottle of champagne for celebrating our honeymoon with them.

During our stay, we took part in a number of on-site amenities including the Outrigger Canoe trip (awesome! we saw 2 sea turtles from 6ft away), tennis, croquet, etc. We highly recommend the canoe trip which was run in a very educational and professional manner, plus it made for a great morning work-out, just make sure you reserve early. The tennis courts were in great condition (synthetic grass) and they provided ice water and cold towels as well as a remote controlled ball machine, which my husband LOVED.

The concierge desk was always very helpful with reservations and they always provided directions with each reservation which was a great help. They also have DVDs to borrow for free at the desk which was a nice touch since we love to watch movies late at night before bed. When we reserved our surfing lessons, they were able to arrange for pre-payment that was directly booked to our room which was very convenient as well.

The exercise facilities were great! They provided Gatorade, water, towels, everything you'd need. Each cardio machine also had its own TV/remote and they provide new headsets you can use. We often used the locker rooms in the spa to shower and dress for dinner because they had wonderful steam rooms as well as everything you would need to get ready including towels, robes, slippers, hair driers, curling irons, flat irons, various soaps, lotions, etc. They even had iced cucumber slices you can put over your eyes as you enjoy a steam! They also provide "dental kits" which my husband said were in the men's locker room (or by request at the desk) which had a toothbrush and toothpaste, if you forgot yours.

We were very happily surprised to find the hotel not at all crowed eventhough it was full and they were also hosting a conference at the time of our stay. There was never any trouble getting a cabana at any time of day. Although some of the ones facing the ocean filled up earlier, there was always a number of them open at poolside. The game room was also fun. It has 2 pool tables, a shuffle board game, a big screen TV, fooseball, ping pong and a video game room. This is where we spent our last hour before we had to leave for the airport.

We did have dinner at Ferraros on our first night. We had reservations for 6pm which was perfect to enjoy the sunset. The food was good and service was great. We ordered a salad, shared 2 entrees (they split them and put half of each per plate) and shared a dessert all for $120, not too bad. I'd recommend the chocolate cake dessert...it's amazing. We also had breakfast at the Pacific Grill which was an awesome spread. A neat trick is that they allow you to take food out of the restaurant. I saw several people with plates of food at their cabanas eating by the pool. Since we ate there on our last day, they gave us take out boxes and utensils so we could take some food with us to eat at the airport later :o) Don't eat here if you're scared of birds though, they are everywhere! The wait staff are constantly coming around with covers for unattended plates to keep them at bay. I also enjoyed a frozen mai tai at the poolside, served in a hollowed out pineapple! It was one of the most delicious drinks I've ever had (big enough for 2) and you can't beat sipping an icy drink from a pineapple while overlooking the beach from your cabana. I also ordered roomservice from the kids menu one night when I got super hungry. I got a good sized cheeseburger, double order of fries, and an ice cream sundae for $18...also not too shabby, plus it was on Finding Nemo plates!

A couple of bad/unsatisfactory points: We signed up for the free scuba demo but no one showe up at the pool at the assigned time. Although we're not sure if this was their fault since we weren't sure if maybe we were supposed to meet somewhere else and didn't ask. Also, housekeeping was so so. They were not always very prompt at cleaning the rooms, which was disappointing. One day we actually had to call and ask them to clean our room since it was 5pm and still had not been cleaned. There was some street noise from our lanai when you had the door-wall open, but it was totally quiet with it closed. There was one pool attendant who was a bit short with my husband when we were out claiming our cabana before 7am, and gave us a lecture about how this was "valuable realestate" and they could take our stuff if left unattended for over 20 min (which never happened during our stay and we saw many people leaving their cabanas unattended). We were also told by the valet that they did not have "self park" at the hotel. From what I've read in other reviews, there is...so not sure what's the deal with that.

All in all we had a wonderful time and highly recommend the Four Seasons. They do a great job creating an intimate feel in a decent sized resort. You feel really special when you're there and always pampered. Although pricy, we felt it was a great value considering the whole experience and the number of complementary services/amenities.

20 Thank goumgal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2006

We stayed at the Four Seasons from May 8-20, and I've gotta admit, we didn't want to leave! Arrival at the main entrance went well. A word of warning. The car valet service can get very busy in the morning, about 8-9 a.m. as people leave for day trips, and again in the evening when guests leave/arrive for dinner. At these times, you should call for your car about 15-20 minutes before you want to leave. Tip the valet guys and girls $1-$4 when you leave each time. They pool their tips.

The lobby is impressive, grand, and very open-air. We were greeted with orchid leis and cool hand towels. Check-in was quick and painless, and the bellman delivered our luggage very quickly (tip the bellmen about $2-$5/bag).

Our first garden view room was 302. It was at the tip of the south wing, and had a small, semi-private lawn which overlooked the grounds and pool. We didn't use the lanai very much because we were always out exploring the island. The room was clean (didn't smell mouldy like some people have mentioned), and the bathroom was really nice, with soaker tub, separate shower, two sinks, 2 robes, music system, separate W/C with phone, and the standard toiletry items (Q-tips, make-up remover pads, facial tissue, shower cap, sewing kit, eyeglass cleaning cloth, hair dryer, make-up mirror). The closet has lots of hangers, programmable safe, iron, ironing board, 2 pairs of slippers, umbrella, flashlight. The t.v. doesn't have that many channels, but we weren't here to watch t.v. There's also a dvd player (movies available for free from the front desk, but we never used this service).

The comp. in-room coffee has whole beans and a grinder, regular and decaf. Creamers are in the bar fridge. The jars of beans are pretty big, so I don't know how old the beans are at the bottom of the jar! Still, it was pretty good coffee to wake-up to!

We had housekeeping leave us a mini-fridge and a toaster, as well as plates, bowls and cutlery (no charge for this), so we could eat our own breakfast and snacks. There's a couple of 24 hour grocery stores in Kihei (about 15 minutes by car), where we stocked-up, and yes, groceries are more expensive here (a carton of Tropicana Orange Juice was about $5.50). Gas for the car was about $3.66/gallon.
We were getting married here, so we had flowers, champagne, chocolates, etc., in our room, and that was a really nice touch. Our Four Seasons Wedding Co-ordinator, Julie, did an awesome job organizing everything, and we had no worries at all. Email me if you need info about the wedding package. I highly recommend her if you want a hassle-free wedding! It's worth the price!

We moved into an ocean view executive suite for 3 nights as part of our wedding package. It was a great room, on the top floor of the north wing. If you can afford it, stay in a suite! See the pictures attached. The staff moved everything for us while we were out, so we didn't have to do anything except pick-up the new room key. The maid service even kept the page of the magazine I was reading! Maid service is twice daily, no matter what room you're in. Leave a note each day with what you want done, and what time you want it done by, and it'll be done! Don't forget to tip the maid service $5.00/day, and you'll have great service. On our wedding day, we had to have the suite cleaned up early, so I called housekeeping and they came and cleaned it right away, no problems! Now that's great service!
Spa/salon service. My wife had her trial make-up session and her wedding day make-up and hair done by the on-site spa/salon. She really liked the hair and make-up ladies, but she didn't think the lady who did her nails did that great of a job. She says it was expensive, but worth it. As part of the wedding package, we had a couples, ocean-side shiatsu massage. It was great, and I highly recommend it. The sound of the wind and the waves totally relaxed me (I fell asleep).

Our wedding on the Four Season's lawn was great! Julie organized everything to perfection! A note for anyone getting married in Maui. It gets pretty windy in the afternoons when the trade winds pick-up. If you have long hair, you're going to need lots of extra-strength hair spray! The wind doesn't die down until after 6pm, when the sun starts to set. You may need to find an area that's not so windy for your ceremony and pictures!

Our reception was at the Pacific Grill. Food was great, and service was great! It was the only hotel restaurant we ate at because hotel food is so expensive, and there were plenty of great places to eat in Kihei. Okay, enough of the wedding.

There's free coffee/tea and muffins/baked goods available by the fountain near the front desk. The coffee & treats are there from about 3-5am for people going to Haleakala for sunrise, or if you're like me, for anyone waking-up early enough to go down and get them and bring them back up to your room! After about 5:30, the baked goods are gone, and the coffee moves down to the stairwell just outside the entrance to the Pacific Grill Restaurant (lower lobby level, south wing).

Free stuff. Lots of free programs to do. Email them or check the website. The gym is small. One room with Cybex machines, dumbells up to 50 pounds, no barbells, free water and Gatorade, towels, and it's air conditioned. Changeroom is through the spa entrance. Changeroom is nice, with lockers, steam room, separate showers (a lot nicer than my gym!). Cardio equipment is open-air outside and consists of treadmills with tvs, ellipticals with tvs, bikes,etc. Again, free bottles of water, towels, and headphones. The cardio equipment is really busy in the mornings. If you can, work-out in the late afternoon or at night when it's not busy. Cardio equipment gets covered-up at 9p.m. I'm not sure if you're allowed to remove the covers to use them.

Other useful info..The parking spaces are tight. If you can, rent a compact car. You can park a mid-size car, but you might have trouble opening the doors wide enough to get out. There's limited parking in the self park (the first garage as you come down the driveway), but it's free overnight. Valet parking overnight is $12.00. Valet parking for guests coming to the hotel for a visit, dinner, etc, is free as long as it's not overnight (and don't forget to tip them). The valet garage is a separate garage closer to the entrance, but you're not allowed to self-park in it.

Go suntanning and swimming in the morning when the sun's not so strong, and the waves are smaller. Use sunscreen with a high spf for the first few days because that sun is really strong! Definitely go snorkelling at the south end of the beach to see some nice aquatic life, or better yet, get up to the north west coastline for even better snorkelling!

Go explore the island in the afternoon when the sun and sand are almost too hot! Bring lots of water and snacks, because even though it's a small island, it takes a long time to drive around (especially during rush hour, or when there's been a accident that's closed the highway). Ask guest services for a cooler and some beach towels, or blankets for Haleakala. They're free and very handy.

The Hana highway was nice. Our relatives took a mini-bus tour and absolutely loved it! We thought the drive around the northwest part of the island was a lot prettier. Nicer scenery, closer to the coastline, and a 1 lane road/goat path! You had to pull-over to let the other car go by, but you couldn't pull-over too much because there was a sheer cliff! And you had to honk your horn before you went around the corner just to make sure there wasn't another car coming from the other way! Definitely a good reason to rent a small car! Travel the northwest route counter-clockwise. That way you're always on the ocean side, and it's easier to pull off to take pictures. (I think this is the road the rental car companies don't want you to go on because you could die).

If you want a cheap evening snack and you don't want to go out, then order room service from the kid's menu. Lots of comfort foods, good-size portion, 2 side dishes, and only about $5-6. But the pizza wasn't that great (but I'm comparing it to a great pizza shop back in my neighbourhood).

Places to eat. In Kihei, try Hana Fuda for saimin. Da Kitchen Express for great, huge portion lunch and dinner (eat-in or take out). Stella Blues Cafe, Maui Tacos, Peggy Sue's for milkshakes. All pretty cheap. In Wailea, try Maui Onion at the Renissance Hotel Wailea, but I liked the onion rings and fries better at Chesseburgers, Mai Tais, & Rock n Roll at the Shops at Wailea (upscale shopping centre). In Makawao, try Makawao Sushi and Deli, or Komoda Store & Bakery (but get there early). In Wailuku, try Sam Sato's and Maui Bake Shop for great, cheap food. In Paia, try Cafe Mambo for great food! I know I've left a lot of places out! There's lots of great, small places to eat. Get away from the hotel and go enjoy some great local cooking!

Hotel pool. We never hung out there. We much preferred the beach, where great guys like Darrett and V. would come by with water and fruit and just about anything you wanted.
Chairs, towels, unbrellas are provided for free. Better yet was driving to other beaches around the island. A great beach just south of the hotel is Big Beach. Stay there until sunset, when the beach is almost deserted and the sun is a firey red/yellow/orange and the clouds are pinky/red.
Big beach, big sky, and big ocean. Life should be seen through a fish eye lens on Big Beach at sunset...

45 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!