“A very enjoyable stay at a beautiful place...”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Greenwood Village, CO
“A very enjoyable stay at a beautiful place...”
Reviewed June 1, 2006

First of all, I can't fathom the previous review that stated certain things about the mountainside rooms. However, from the pictures, it DOES appear that the reviewer stayed on the 7th floor. So, I'll give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt (although the picture of the grating over the parking garage is misleading -- you have to be looking straight down to see that grating), and give my mountainside room experience with the caveat that we stayed on the 6th floor.

My new wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea for our honeymoon from May 22nd - May 29th of 2006. From the lei greeting to the celebratory champagne in our room, we felt very welcome right away.

Quite honestly, the mountain view room (we were in Room 642) exceeded my expectations. There's really no mountain view, as flowers, shrubbery, trees block most of the view. However, the lanai provided PLENTY of privacy, and I heard absolutely NO road noise from Wailea Alanui and NO construction noises from the construction on the other side of the road. NONE. Period. If an outstanding view is important to you, then pay for a better room.

The interior of the room was just fine. The bed was wonderful, the carpet a little old (but still clean), and the bathroom was simply grand.

Housekeeping was a little inconsistent. We went one whole day without housekeeping for some reason, and their timing was inconsistent on other days. However, they did an overall good job, and the daily ice service is a nice touch.

The pool area isn't as small as I was expecting it to be. I don't know when the "peak" season is for this resort, but I could see that this wasn't it. It wasn't uncommon to see pool cabanas available at any time during the day. The pool service is very nice, and not nearly as overbearing as I was expecting it to be. The pool attendants were very respectful, very friendly, and very quick to respond.

Wailea Beach is simply fantastic. The water was gentle, clean, and the beach was immaculate. I've never enjoyed swimming in the ocean so much.

We enjoyed dinner at Ferraro's and Pacific Grill. Both are pricey, but everything in Maui is pricey. I was a little disappointed in the breakfast options at the resort -- it is either the $30/person breakfast buffet, or nothing. I can't eat $30 of breakfast food in an entire day, so my recommendation would be a five minute walk next door to the Grand Wailea's Cafe Kula for a $9.50 breakfast croissant w/eggs, bacon, cheese. It was enough to fill the two of us, and saved us $50/day.

One other general note about the island -- if you have bought the "Maui Revealed" book and think that you are privy to "secrets" as a result, think again. Everybody has that book. And I mean EVERYBODY.

7 Thank Coucher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 1, 2006

Me and my husband spent two weeks in the Four seasons for our honeymoon. Upon arrival we were greated etc. Once again settling the full buill was at the top of FS agenda. Our room was a 45 degree sea view room which should be renamed to fall of your balcony to get any sort of a view! for what we were paying a night we did not expect that. The decor in the room was a bit dated and could do with some moderinising but it wasnt terrible. The rooms are nothing special though. In fact they are quite basic so there isnt anything in the room that will make the price worthwfile.

The hotel overlall was beautiful. The Grand waliea next door was also very nice and I would say very similar. The only difference is that the FS is abit more private as it has less guest capacity and therefore, probably more room by the pool etc. The club at Grand Waliea was great, make a trip down there!

We ate at Ferraro's and had room service everyday. The food was OK but nothing to rant and rave about.

Overall we had a good honeymoon and the hotel was good. I would say the FS is definetly over priced but if money is not an object then go for it. It is probably the best hotel in Maui but in general could be better.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I just returned from the Four Seasons Maui from my honeymoon and everyone knows me as a hotel snob. This property was truly excellent and worth every penny. We stayed in a Mountainview room and we're glad we didn't opt to spend more since the rooms physically were great and it was quiet. The only negative is the walk from these to the elevators which isn't such a big deal in our opinion.
The facilities were top notch (especially the gym), they have a great games room and the pool and beach is incredible. There's always somewhere to sit and the pool staff top off your water it felt like every 10 mins. They serve fresh fruit, cold towels and evian mists complimentary and have a great menu should you choose to order.
The concierge staff were happy and professional and covered every detail. For example, we had reservations at Roy's one night and because of an accident on the highway, they called to tell us about it and to leave more time to get there or cancel.
We really enjoyed all the restaurants, especially Ferraro. (It was under construction however they served crab legs to make up for it by the pool to apologize for the noise). The menu is great and the view is spectacular. Spago was great (same as others) and Pacific Grill is your only place for breakfast. It didn't feel like you were getting ripped off because the service was amazing and the quality of the food was good too.
We visited other properties on the Wailea side of Maui and compared to the Fairmont Kea Lani (nothing special), The Grand Wailea you just can't compare.
If you get to stay here, consider yourself very lucky!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Just returned from my first trip to Maui (and my first to Hawaii as well). Have stayed at many Four Seasons properties in the US and UK (Boston, DC, NYC, London, Chicago) and although it's lovely, their Maui resort is not quite on a par with these others. Furnishings/carpets in the rooms are a little worn, but I understand a renovation is underway so these problems will likely be remedied. Much of your experience will depend on the room type you get. The mountainside rooms are very disappointing - views of the parking garage, close proximity to Wailea Alanui Drive (which runs along the backside of the hotel) with near constant traffic noise, and the hillside condo construction project beyond the road (very noisy). If these urban sights and sounds don't bother you then the mountainside rooms are no problem, but don't expect a quiet, idyllic island retreat. The gardenview and oceanview rooms are far quieter, although significantly more expensive. (I gladly would have upgraded regardless of the extra cost, but the front desk manager said that the hotel was fully committed and no other rooms were available.) On the plus side the fitness room is great and well-equipped and the cardio area is beautiful (on a covered lanai overlooking the pool and ocean). The restaurants are quite pricey, but that's to be expected in Hawaii and certainly in any Four Seasons Hotel. The pool and beach areas are indeed on the small side and crowded, and there really are no other public places in the hotel to relax and unwind other than the lobby lounge across from the reception desk which is small but quite comfortable (although drinks in the lounge aren't available until after 5 pm). Wailea itself was a bit disappointing (although that's certainly not the fault of the hotel) in that it looks more like Palm Beach or Laguna than what I imagined Hawaii to be. Those who prefer a more tranquil, natural island setting would do better at the Hotel Hana-Maui in Hana (although it's a bit remote) or one of the lesser developed islands like Kauai.

Stayed May 2006
26 Thank JamieR_from_LA
Reviewed May 17, 2006

Don't get me wrong this is a very nice hotel. It is probably the nicest on Maui but is it the best value?? Is it worth the extra cost? If you want to pay extra to say you stayed here then this is the place for you to stay. I have stayed at other luxury hotels and inns staying here reminds me of eating at a Ruth Chris, Morton's or other such so called fine dining. I just expect the best when you claim to be one of the best. It is not unique. Our room was ocean front. The veiw was great. The room itself was average. Very used needs some updating rugs, painting and decor. The bathrooms were much better. I expected more upon arrival instead they just wanted me to initial all the costs and fees before anything else. The property itself is wonderful and kept beautiful. Turn down service was blah! The pool area is understaffed. We spent five days on the romance package not sure if worth the cost. The spa is average at best for the prices. The salon is the same overpriced. If you are undecided between another hotel and this one I would opt for the hotel with best view for the price and stay there. Restaraunts are good but you are not missing anything. I only posted because people post some outrageous comments about how spectacluar this place is when in reality it is just a hotel like many others.
Thanks

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville
Reviewed May 2, 2006

I work as an Events Marketing Manager for a publication and plan trips around the United States for very large companies. I read TripAdvisor on a daily basis when contracting with hotels for our clients adventures. We took a group to the FS Maui in February of 2006 and I cannot help but share our experience-- as to warn other meeting planners.

Negatives:
Upon check-in upgraded rooms were given to the wrong guests. My VIP's were not upgraded while others in our group recieved suites. This was a debacle. One of our guests' rooms smelled like mildew-- I complained for them but was told there was nothing that could be done. I cannot imagine that to be the truth.

The second day our guests were scheduled for activities that were to be placed on the master account. They also were told to pick up boxed lunches at the Porte Cochere before their departure. You guessed it...No boxed lunches were ready and every single acitivity charge got placed on my guests individuals portfolio.

I have planned meetings at hotels of all levels and never expected these issues from a FS. My contacts at the hotel felt horrible and were extremely apologetic but that doesn't make up for such huge mis-haps. My company has made a new policy to never do business again with the Four Seasons. We will now contract with Fairmont, Grand Hyatt properties, JW Marriott's, and other independent luxury hotels.

The worst part about the experience is that I have no doubt that this is very rare for this property. Most leisure travelers have nothing but great things to say...and had I been there on leisure I would have written a rave review. They are obvioulsy not paying enough attention to detail to their corporate group clients.

The positives:

The grounds are immaculate. The pool was nice but a bit over crowded..hard to find a chair. Pool service was great and the drinks were even better. The spa is very inventive and had treatments I hadn't seen before. The bell service was great. My guests had their bags delivered before they arrived to their room.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank Magic3232
New York, NY
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I just got back from Maui on our honeymoon and we can provide you with our opinions of the Westin and Four Seasons. In a nutshell, the Westin was nice but the Four Seasons was fabulous!!! I lived on Oahu a number of years and fell in love with Maui during that time so I wanted to give my bride two views of the island, the touristy Kaanapali-part and the Wailea-part. Both have their pluses and minuses but I thought she should experience both. We did 6 nights at the Westin and 5 at the Four Seasons and the Four Seasons experience made the trip wonderful.

Here’s what we found. The Westin was nice but we paid top dollar for a deluxe oceanview room. It had a great view of Blackrock but the room itself was simply standard. Standard size, standard bathroom with unbelievably short showers (kept knocking my head on it and I’m only 5’10” and it smarts!). Nothing exceptional except proximity to Lahaina (which is a fun town). The beach was very nice but you have to pay for beach chairs ($5 a day each) and umbrellas ($20 a day when we already paid an additional resort fee.). The breakfast buffet food was really good but you have to shell out over $60 with tip included. I tried to get the Sunsational package that included the buffet but it was unavailable. These are normal prices on Maui by the way. In addition, as mentioned before, the Westin charges you $18 a day for hotel amenities, “a resort fee”. Basically, you’re paying $18 for 2 bottles of water in the room a day. The snorkeling at Blackrock was fantastic (they charged you $16 an hour for 2 sets of fins, mask, and snorkel) but worth every penny). We went early before breakfast a few mornings and were the only ones out there and saw amazing fish and giant sea turtles (which moved when it got more crowded)… Overall, it was nice but we probably won’t go back because of the underlying feeling that you are being nickel’ed and dime’d the whole time for an average experience.

Now after moving down to the southwestern part of the island, we really experienced the pampering that we were looking for. The Four Seasons was everything we expected and more. The grounds are much more kept and more landscaped than the Westin. Absolutely beautiful. And you are pampered during the entire day and night. We had a room that did not have an oceanview (garden view) but included the breakfast buffet and added up to only $50 a night more than the Westin room plus breakfast. So it was pretty comparable. We were given a complimentary upgraded to a suite immediately upon arriving and we were pleasantly surprised that you could fit the Westin room almost inside the Four Seasons bathroom. It was huge. Enormous tub, good sized shower stall (that was amply above my head)… It had a vanity area and separate toilet room. Dual sinks were a nice touch with a bathroom only music selection. The separate bedroom was much bigger than the Westin room by itself too and then add in a whole living room area with a DVD player (free DVDs, not that we watched them, but they were there!), Bose sound system, huge table and sofa. Very nice… No mildew or smells at all nor wear and tear…None. It helped also that cleaning staff came in multiple times a day, not just once. This was an extremely comfortable space and we enjoyed it very much more that the room with the ocean view.

Now, the breakfast buffet was the same pretty much as the Westin except for the unbelievable pancakes at the Four Seasons and much better service (which was surprising because 15% tip was already included with the package. I added between 5-10% more tip because of the outstanding service!

At the beach, you just walk up to an attendant and ask for beach chairs and an umbrella and before you can slip off your flip-flops, he’s on his way carrying them to set them up. Free of charge. They also provide you with a slipcover towel for the chair and a regular towel. A very nice touch. Frequently, the attendants offered ice water, cold towelettes, Evian mists, and chilled pineapple to the beachgoers. Nice touch. I was happy to tip these guys what I was paying for a simple chair at the Westin. We went snorkeling here too but the 1st hour (each day) is free. No feeling of nickele and diming here. No resort surcharge also. In addition, my wife used the gym pretty much every morning (at both the Westin and Four Seasons) and the fresh fruit and free water was a nice touch at the Four Seasons. Additionally, the pool area was much more spread out and there was a lot more opportunities for shade at the Four Seasons. While at the Westin, you were practically sitting on the lap of the person next to you.

Now here’s the part that showed the difference between the two. At the Four Seasons, we had to checkout at noon but we had a 10:40PM flight back. We checked our bags at the concierge and kept a change of clothes, went to the spa where they gave us a complimentary locker, and spent our last day enjoying the beach. We sunbathed, swam and then returned to the spa, took a steam, a shower and used all their amenities to get ready. They had all that you could ask for as far as amenities, hair brushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, even foot spray. And, we enjoyed fresh ice water served in the locker room while getting ready. This simple extension of hospitality saved the whole last day of our honeymoon from being wasted. Another very nice touch.

Our advice, stay at the Four Seasons, save money, by taking Mountain View room. You may not have the most exclusive view, but all the pampering is still there!

Restaurants to hit: Kimo’s, Leilani’s and Spago’s (worth the money!)
Restaurants to skip:Pacific’O and Pacific Grill for dinner (neither worth the money!), breakfast is good though.

Activities to do:Snorkel BlackRock, Helicopter trip to Molok’ai

• Stayed April 2006
59 Thank pete6285
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!