“Perfect Honeymoon”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Philadelphia
“Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed April 10, 2006

You will not be disappointed if you chose the Maui Four Seasons for your honeymoon. By far the favorite part of our trip, even after an incredible first week at the Hyatt Regency in Kaui. If you can splurge on an ocean view/club level room. The views/sunsets are unforgettable. When there don't miss out on a perfect dinner at Spago and/or a very romantic oceanside dinner at Ferraros. Town of Waliea is fun, great shopping, even surfing lessons if you're up for it. Easy walking path on beach to neighboring hotels including the Grand Waliea Resort. Lounging by the beautiful pool in private white cabanas while drinking mojiotos with my husband will always be my favorite memory. Lots of celebrity sightings. Luke and Owen Wilson, David Hasselhoff (knightrider himself!), Sara Jessica Parker and other lesser known hollywood types were in town and staying at the Four Seasons during the Maui Film Festival. The Festival usually takes place in early/mid June. Can't wait to go back for a future anniversary!

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank irish22012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Merrimack, NH
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Just returned yesterday from this beautiful place. Everything was top notch and I would definitely recommend to others. It was spring break in California so it was a little crowded at the pool, but everyone seemed well behaved. There were a few celebrities staying there during our stay which definitely added to the feeling that you were leading the lifestyle of the "rich and famous". I haven't stayed at other Maui hotels, but after looking around at the others this one definitely seemed like the overall BEST. Would love to be able to return. I only have one very small complaint... I took a bath one night and noticed a little "grunge" in the bathtub underneath the lever to plug the bathtub. I probably should have mentioned something to the housekeeping staff, but didn't. Other than that minor problem, this was the best hotel I have ever experienced.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank MerrimackMrs
North Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I am very well travelled single mother traveling with three kids, ages 11, 6 and 3. I always look for kid friendly places. We have traveled on several cruises, including two Disney cruises, and stay every year at five star Disney Resorts. The Four Seasons resort was better than some Disney Resorts and the cruises.

First, the Four Seasons Camp (free of cost) did not have as many children present as the hundreds aboard the Disney Cruise Line. Each child was given a lot of attention by counselors. My children liked the activities better at the resort and the fact that the counselors took them swimming and for walks outdoors. They also had a nanny for my three year old.

Second, the resort itself went out of the way to make the room child friendly. For example, the Four seasons child proofed the entire room before we arrived (padding around furniture, netting on the patio, etc.). Although I have paid plenty of money for expensive Disney resorts, Disney has never done this for my kids. Also, my children loved the little details that the Four Seasons provided. A stack of cookies, bathtub ducks and other toys sat on their beds upon arrival. Also, they loved that the staff put their names up on the bathtubs in sponge letters.

The resort itself is beautiful. We had a partial ocean view room that was just HUGE. It was much bigger than standard resort rooms (including Four Seasons Lanai), and the kids had plenty of space to play. The only downside to the resort is the size of the spa. It is very small, and the services overpriced.

The staff is excellent at the Four Seasons. We felt really special. If you are going to spend a lot of money for a vacation anyway, I would highly recommend this resort over a cruise or other resorts. The children will be happy and the adults will get time to rest.

23 Thank So.Texas
palm springs, ca
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I recently spent spring break with my wife and teenage son at the Four Season Resort and Spa on Maui. I'll admit, I was somewhat hesitant after reading some of the complaints and less favorable reviews posted by trip advisor users, but my worries were quickly put to rest upon arrival at the resort. Yes, it was crowded, being spring break--but that was to be expected. There was an abundance of kids of all ages, frolicking in the pool and surf, but there was adequate space for all. As a frequent traveler, I have found that some establishments tend to rest on their laurels and trade off a well established name, but not so the Fours Seasons Maui. Ok, the rooms are beginning to look a bit faded in sopts, but they still exude luxury without the pretensious exclusivity associated with other resorts. The staff here goes out of their way to provide true aloha spirit, treating you as a special individual, and addressing you by name at each passing. My family and I found everyone to be accomodating in every need, providing above and beyond service, meeting our needs without us having to ask. A fine example is the breakfast buffet where, after asking once, I found the nonfat, sugar free yogurt waiting for me each morning. My wife enjoys iced coffee, and everyday the pool attendants greeted her with her preferred caffeine fix, without having to ask. To me, as a frequent business traveler, service is paramount, and the Four Seasons Maui shines like a star!

17 Thank hele-on
London
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We stayed at the 4S Maui for 7 nights. The positives are nice rooms and attentive service. The location is good- close to the excellent South Maui beaches and golf. Sight-seeing trips to West Maui and the Mountain are manageable from there. (We stayed at the Hotel Hana for one night when driving the road to Hana which I'd recommmend- otherwise it will be a long day and you'll have to miss much of the fun of the sights on the road).

The negatives are those associated with a large resort hotel- its expensive; the pool is not great; the public areas felt "busy"; sometimes the restaurants had no capacity until late in the evening; it is located on a strip with other hotels (so that our "ocean view" included two other resorts and their car parks as well as the ocean). The 4S on the Big Island had a much more relaxed "feel" and nicer rooms.

As for food: the Italian restaurant is very good, though the Italian wines are very expensive. The Pacific grill restaurant is good enough. The trendy restaurant has very good food but an odd ambience- it tries too hard.

10 Thank First_Wandering_Brit
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 1, 2006

The name speaks for itself. Four Seasons, Maui so you can't really go wrong. Not too big and nice rooms make it a nice place to chill in Maui.Probably the best beach on the Island. Rooms are really nice as long as you don't get a mountain/graden view. We originally had one and changed because it overlooked a parking lot. Food was overpriced and TERRIBLE but everything else is what you would expect.

• Stayed October 2004
3 Thank iscreenwriter
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2006

I just read the review from the honeymoon couple I agree. We stayed at Four Seasons the last week of March. We have kids 12 and 9 and we were totally surprised by the behavior of children at the pool and the lack of parents or nannies watching their kids. The pool was so rough and loud we went to the beach most everyday .The hotel staff needs to take back control of pool and stop pushing and fighting in pool. When many of us complained not much was done. Lots of complaining by many how horrible pool situation was. The fight for pool chairs at this resort the worst I've ever seen. Many up at 6am staking out their chairs and then not using them, silly.
Now, what we loved the giant suite we were upgraded to very spacious. The hotel definitely needs renovated the hotel is very worn and smells like mildew. Some new carpets would really help. Balconies have beautiful views, but everyone in the hotel is overlooking each other, I got tired of listening to peoples cell phone calls on balcony, they can be heard word for word.
Food at pool great. Book reservations early we could not eat at hotel restaurants many nights. Ferraros closes with rain. The best restaurants we found were Stella Blues and Fred's Mexican. Both reasonable fun and great food.
The concierges at hotel were fabulous and very helpful with everything. Beach service
was terrific and very friendly attendants unlike pool. We always tipped generously at beach and pool's saw many who didn't and they still got great service. Pool attendants not as friendly or helpful as beach. Maybe you have to be a regular each year but I expected better at pool. Pools as you read are way to tiny and dirty for this type of hotel. Not sure if my expectations were to high and that's why I felt disappointed but not as great as expected. We were just as pampered last year in Riviera Maya for half the price. Another good thing is great snorkeling right off shore. Loved our trip but felt people should be warned Four Seasons might not be the number one hotel to stay at.

14 Thank aloha505
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!