“Honeymooners beware” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Washington DC
“Honeymooners beware”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2006

I will preface this review by saying the Four Seasons Maui is truly one of the finest examples of a hotel with both exceptional service and attention to detail. They are worthy of every award given to them but don't be fooled into thinking this particular resort is always the 'eden' for a romantic escape, either for your honeymoon or getaway vacation. I can only outline my own recent experience and leave it to your own opinions..

My wife and I arrived on Monday - March 27th, 2006. A long 13 hour journey from Washington DC.

Aside from the terrible weather which had been forcasted for our entire trip there (10 days), we were also surprised by the hotel's "family" atmosphere

The Following day - our first day there - we both walk down to the pool area and restaurant to celebrate our new marriage with a pinapple mai tai. After two of
those, I venture out of the bar to try and find a open chair/seat available around the pool area. There are none and the entire resort pool area is surrounded by families with a symphony of crying toddlers and other children chasing each other and screaming around the grounds. Chaotic is an understatement and I can only liken the experience to spending time at any amusement park wave pool so my wife and I decide to walk down to the beach. We kindly ask the beach consierge for a towel - he says they're
out of towels and are trying to track some more down from the pool. Needless to say, when you are spending nearly $700.00 a night, this is not really what you expect to hear. I go swimming in the ocean and come back to our cramped space on the
beach (no towel)which is packed with families and children everywhere.

Consequently - If you are looking for a wonderful place to spend with your family or group of friends with families, this is your place. If, howeer, you are expecting the serenity and peace needed for either a honeymoon or special vacation - do not include this Four Seasons on your list. Stick to the much smaller one on Kona.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank lloydell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

I am just back from 12 nights at the Four Seasons. The Hotel does not disappoint. I stayed on the eigth floor. A woman by the name of JiJi was my main contact on the floor. She was simply the best. All of the staff in the Hotel was great, but JiJi went above and beyond to my stay perfect. It would be hard not to recommend this hotel to anyone. Even when the weather did not cooperate the hotel was a great place to just hang out and relax.
The beach area is very nice. I never sat at the pool. The service by the staff outside is beyond belief. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

2 Thank Hsiegal
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

The Four Seasons is simply the best. The service and attention to detail is beyond compare. My wife and I, along with friends from Phoenix, stayed here in October at the club level of the resort. We were greeted by name and called by name every day. The staff informed us that they would never say no. If we wanted it, they got it. The staff went out of their way to make our experience unforgetable. The conceirge made all our reservations and had champagne waiting for us in our room. Each day was super. Make sure to take advantage of the complimentary outrigger experience. This resort is the diamond of the island.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank schoolman
Pittsburgh, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons Maui the first week of March for our 20th anniversary. The resort is beautiful, but a bit smaller than I had expected. After 14 hours of travelling (from Pittsburgh, PA), we really appreciated the cool towels and lei greeting at check in. I was very happy when they told us that we had been upgraded to a prime ocean view room (on the 5th floor) when we checked in. I had booked a garden view room through our travel agent, but I called the hotel about 2 weeks before our arrival to request an upgrade and to let them know we were coming to Maui to celebrate our anniversary. When we got to the room, there was a chilled bottle of champagne along with a note wishing us a happy anniversary.

The room itself was very large and well laid out, but the fabrics looked a little dated and faded to me. The bathroom was huge, with a double sink, plenty of counter space, and a separate glass-enclosed shower. The L'Occitane toiletries were fabulous. The best part of the room was the large lanai with a great view of the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other. I was really thankful that we receved an upgrade. The garden view rooms on the 3rd floor opened up directly onto the hotel grounds and didn't seem to have much privacy.

The two pools were lovely, but not as large as those at other resorts (such as the Kea Lani, Grand Wailea, and Ritz Carlton). We were always able to find a lounge chair, though, and the service around the pool was wonderful. Attendants constantly refilled our water glasses, frequently offered us cool towels and evian spritzes, and periodically brought by cool pops and fresh fruit. Even though the Grand Wailea pool area was larger, it seemed more crowded because of the loud groups and large number of families. The pools at the Four Seasons were very tranquil and peaceful in comparison.

We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant twice and lunch at Ferraro's once. The breakfast buffet was very good, but pricey ($26/person). It included an omelet station, fresh fruit, an assortment of juices, eggs, waffles/pancakes, meats, and breakfast pastries. My husband ordered pancakes from the menu, and on the first day the pancakes were large (nearly the size of the plate), but on the second day, they were very small (about 4 inches in diameter). Lunch at Ferraro's was just OK, but very expensive (over $50 for a hamburger, a small pizza, and two sodas).

All in all, we had a wonderful anniversary trip and I'm glad we chose the Four Seasons over the Grand Wailea. The Grand Wailes might be a better choice for families, but the Four Seasons seems better suited for couples who want a peaceful, relaxing vacation.

7 Thank SuziC
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

My fiance and I just got back from Maui. We stayed at the Four Seasons March 13-19. (FYI Britany Spears was also here then) We had a wonderful time. The hotel itself is gorgeous. The grounds are immaculate. The rooms were nice but not spectacular. The bathromm was huge and was the best part of the room. The immenties were L'Occtaine and were terrific. The bed was comfortable but the furniture and carpeting were in need of renovation. We had a partial ocean view room. Although we were far from the beach the view was great. I could even see whales frolocking in the ocean from the lanai.

We booked the romance package. This included carte blanche at Ferraros (which was delicious), oceanside massages, monogramed bathrobes, breakfast buffet daily, champagne and bougainvillea trail in our room and a mustang convertible. It was about $200 more for this package but well worth it. (breakfast buffet is $70.00 for 2 people alone and Ferraros bill was $300)

Yes the Four Seasons is pricey. Expect to pay $11.00 plus for cocktails (our pool tab one day was $80.00 for 5 drinks). Dinner for two can easily reach $250.00 on the premises but this is Hawaii and if people wanted to save money they would be in Mexico and not Hawaii. There are ways to save money if you want too. Safeway and ABC stores were nearby. Make sure to request a refrigerator. The one in the room is stocked full with minibar products. Four Seasons will provide you with a empty refrigerator on request. Restaurants in Kihei and Lahania were drastically cheaper than in Wailea were the Four Seasons was. Some fun restaurants to try in Lahaina are Bubba Gumps and Cheeseburger in Paradise.

The service at the Four Seasons was top notch. Lei greetings down to the last name. I got the fresh fruit, frozen washclothes and the evian spritzes passed out to me repeatedly at the pool and the beach. The beach attendants do hose off the sand so it doesn't burn your feet. Everyone does call you by your last name. The valet guys were the best and provided water bottles, coolers and towels for excurisons. They also know directions to every place in Maui. One day at the breakfast buffet one of the staff noticed my fiance wasn't with me. They immeadiately inquired as to how he was feeling. When I told them he was sick they wanted to call him a doctor and provided me with foil containers so that I could pack him up his breakfast. Service like that is impeccable. However one day they wouldn't give me a bloody mary at breakfast because I didn't have my ID. I am 28 and didn't feel I needed to bring my drivers license down to the pool area so be aware of things like that. Anyway that was minor.

The pool is small but I was there over Spring Break and never had a problem getting a chair at the pool. The pool also did not feel overcrowded and the hotel was sold out! The staff is very accomodating and set you up with chairs and towels at the pool and the beach. I also never had a problem finding a chair on the beach either. I usually went down between 9-10 AM. The beach was nice. The sand was so soft and the water itself was clear but not the tourquoise color of the Carribean. I could see whales while sunbathing breaching the ocean and slapping their tail on the water.

Some activities that I would recommend in Maui are the Pacific Whale Foundation whale watch (saw tons of whales), the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter Tour (expensive but worth it), the road to Hana (hint don't wear a sundress and heels like I did, I was covered in mud and laughed at for my attire), oceanside massage, luau (don't expect edible food though), and snorkel trip to Molonkini.

We ate a Mamas Fish House, Ferraros, Cafe Sarentos, Pacific Grill, Bubba Gumps and Cheeseburger in Paradise. I never had a bad meal and the mai tai, mango eruption and lava flow are yummy. I wish I was drinking one right now. I was almost in tears when I had to leave this vacation and am hoping to move to Maui or Oahu in the near future. We also visited Oahu and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Hotel was great as well. The Hawaiian culture is beautiful and relaxed. The natives and people very friendly. Hawaii is truly an ocean paradise. All in all I did extensive research for 6 months before booking the Four Seasons and was happy with the hotel. The only drawback was being a considerable drive form other areas of interest. Lahaina was 40 minutes, the airport 30 minutes, Mamas Fish House was 30 minutes, the harbor for the excursions was 20 minutes etc... I didn't mind driving in the convertible but when you are on vacation who wants to worry about drinking and driving. The Four Seasons is great if you don't mind driving and want to be away from it all. If you like action stay in the Kannapali resort area. That's where most of the resorts are located. No matter where you stay though Maui is gorgeous and a blast. Aloha!!!

20 Thank marissaswift26
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2006

We just returned from staying at the Four Seasons Maui March 12-18. We have stayed in nice hotels all over the world including 5 star hotels in China and Hong Kong and this was the best by far.
I dont know where the people that said negative things in some of the reviews stayed but they didnt stay where we did and like my husband said "if you can stay in a place like this in HAWAII and still complain then NOTHING can make you happy. We had NO complaints at all and all of our stay was excellent. ALL of the staff are friendly and go out of their way to serve you. The room was GORGEOUS and it all looked new. We had a partial ocean view and all the landscaping in this place is beautiful. We enjoyed all our breakfasts (the guys that cook the eggs, pancakes and waffles for you made to order are excellent. Loved the atmosphere and furnishings. Pool side service was great as well.

One morning we had just missed the shuttle to the shops and the person at the bell desk called a resort driver to run us down there(in a Lincoln continental). The resort and the service was better than any place we have ever stayed. My husband asked me several times if there were any Four Seasons Resorts in the continental US (I didnt know but we will find out)

If you want to stay somewhere extra special and nice, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2006

I found these reviews to be very helpful before I went to Hawaii. Let me tell you, they are right on the money. We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea for six nights and it was the most wonderful experience. This hotel really lives up to all of the expectations. I am a single mom with a very picky eater (ten year old son). We ate at Ferraros, Pacific Grill and Spago. At all three places, we were able to get my seriously picky eater what he wanted to eat (even though it wasn't exactly what was on the menu). They go out of their way to get what you want - the word "no" is not part of the vocabulary here. Only "mahalo" and "aloha." Very friendly staff. We had a partial ocean view room on the 7th floor (the top floor). It was so spacious. We had room service every morning for breakfast and were able to see the whales very close and clearly. My son was so excited the morning we left because we witnessed a whale slapping its tail. Too fun. The only drawback was the cost of room service and the fact that someone was smoking a cigar on one of the balconies. You should know that while the resort is non-smoking and it is agains the law to smoke in public areas on Maui, hotel guests are apparently allowed to smoke on their balconies. So we had to go in early from our breakfast a few mornings. So minor drawback - but minimal in comparison to everything else. There are small refrigerators in every room. Whaler's General store is located only a few blocks away (The Shops at Wailea on the bottow level). You can get some food items there. There is also a Safeway a few miles away so you don't have to spend so much on room service. The grounds are so beautiful and the open-air lobby is incredibly inviting. My son got a kick out of the native who came around each evening to light the tiki torches and blow the conch shell (traditional ceremony). We highly recommend the helicopter tour and the submarine trip by Atlantis. If you take kids along, Maui Ocean Center was well worth the 20 minute drive. If you or your kids are not used to snorkeling in the ocean, I highly suggest a lesson at the scuba shack before you just enter the ocean. I learned the hard way with my son and lost my snorkel mask. But the beach is beautiful. If you get to the beach or pool by 9 a.m. or so, you can get your choice of chairs and locations (the attendants are so good about setting up for you). The best part is you are not nickled and dimed to death here. My son was so excited when they came around with watermelon or strawberries. What a treat!!! The poolside foot rubs are a must!! I could go on and on...

• Stayed February 2006
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!