“Exceeded expectations”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Maryland
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed October 28, 2005

For once, a rare occassion when expectations were not only reached but exceeded. From the strawberries served by the pool to the cool towels on the beach to the foot massages poolside this was exclusive to the last detail. They even had a guy spraying you with Evian water to cool you down! Of course, it has a price but it was worth every cent. Do it, even if it is just once in your life!

11 Thank elarondy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We spent our honeymoon here October 11th - 19th. Upon arrival we were informed that valet parking is no longer complimentary as of October 1st. They now charge $12 per day. This would not be that big of a deal except their parking lot offers unreasonably small parking spaces. There is literally a pole in every singe parking spot. Cars are jammed next to each other and against the pole. Some people didn't want to park next to the pole so they simply chose not to pull into the space, making it difficlt for others to navigate through the garage. I am from Chicago and am used to small parking spaces and parking garages, but this is the worst parking situation I have ever seen.

The hotel is pretty and were were greeted with Leis and champaign upon our arrival. We had paid for a partial ocean view room and the room was nice. However, on the third night of our stay a couple checked in next to us with an infant. This child woke up screaming 2-3 times per night and was up crying by 6:00AM every morning. The first night we let it slide, but after the second night we decided that we did not enjoy being woken up by crying 2-3 times a night on our honeymoon. It sounded like this child was in our room. We talked to the hotel and they informed us that they did not have any other partial ocean view rooms available. They could only downgrade us to a moutain view (ie. parking lot) for the same price that we paid for the partial ocean view or we could pay an extra $80 a night for a full ocean view. This is simply unacceptable. We paid for a partial ocean view room and we were not about to have a view of the parking lot for what we had paid. They absoulutely refused to upgrade us for free (obviously there was availability if they were willing to charge us for it). After arguing with the hotel we endured the remainder of our trip with the screaming child. This is not the service we paid for or expected from the Four Seasons.

On a positive note the pampering at the pool was nice and the room service did a great job when they actually came by to clean (they did'nt come by to clean until at least 2:00 everyday).

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I, like most reviewers here, spent part of my honeymoon at this Wailea resort; and, like most reviewers, I've never stayed at a resort of this caliber before, so in all honesty I cannot compare it to others in the same vein. What I can say is that I had very, very high expectations and 4S truly exceeded them. While the resort/grounds/room were all fantastic and very luxurious, the service was what I will remember the most- every single employee I encountered was a joy. It was truly unlike anything I have experienced before. We walked thru the Kea Lani and Grand Wailea and thought both were no where near as impressive overall.

I see other reviewers who stayed here at the same time I did complaining of not getting cabanas... we didn't even attempt to before 10am every morning and had absolutely no problem getting a good one. Maybe there are a couple of coveted spots that they are referring to...

A couple of recommendations...

1) I would get at least a garden view room, as they are indeed doing condo construction across the street and it won't be finished anytime soon- and, those mountain view rooms look away from the resort/ocean so they don't feel as 'connected' to the hotel in my opinion. Even though October is supposed to be low season for Hawaii, this resort was filled all week and thusly we couldn't get an upgrade- so it's true that you cannot go expecting an upgrade (although I would guess the garden/partial ocean view rooms are the most popular so if you're booking a room above that your chances probably increase).

2) Make a trip to the convenience/grocery store early on for snacks/drinks... I was astounded that in the entire resort there were few choices for getting a cold soda: 1 vending machine in the game room ($2 for a 20 oz. bottle) or $4 a pop for 12 oz. cans in your room's mini fridge or the restaurants. Might seem trivial given the overall cost but it was annoying. Whaler's General Store is in the Shops at Wailea close by and makes a good option.

3) While there are several great snorkeling spots throughout the island, 2 of the best are close by. Right off the 4S (Wailea Beach) shore and to the left is excellent- great visibility, variety of fish and reef life (and a nice sea turtle nest a few hundred feet out in front of the condos next door, you'll see cattle boats bringing people here some mornings). Also 'The Aquarium' is about a 15 minute drive down the road, but it will take a solid 45 minutes to hike to the cove and the footing is all jagged lava so tennis/hiking shoes are a must, but it is really worth it. As with all Maui snorkeling go very early in the morning to avoid the winds, heat, crowds, high tide. While the visibility at Molokini is the best I've ever seen it was not worth the money when there is better snorkeling for free off the island shores.

4) Lots of great dining options in South Maui... I have eaten at many a fine dining restaurant on the mainland and thought Maui held its own very well. Sarento's was certainly one of the best experiences I've ever had at a restaurant- the calamari and tiger shrimp are out of this world. Great wine list. I would also highly recommend Pacific Grill for dinner (Ferraro's does have a better view of the sunset but the menu and atmosphere at PG was nicer, and PG still has a great sunset view- try the Kobe steak), Ruth's Chris, and Capiche. All the restaurants in the Shops at Wailea no longer have a nice view due to condo construction but are still good breakfast or lunch options.

In summary, sure, there are some things that could be improved here, but they are the smallest of things and few at that. People come here and expect all the details to be right and they shouldn't be disappointed. Staying here has certainly whetted my appetite for 'The Four Seasons experience' elsewhere, as this is apparently a well regarded 4S but apparently not even top 10 among the 4S lovers, and not even #1 in Hawaii for most. Can't wait to make my way thru that list.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco CA
Reviewed October 23, 2005

We just returned from Maui for my boyfriend's 30 birthday. This was my first time at a four seasons and his second. As of October 1st, they are charging $12 a day for valet parking!!! All of my literature (which was, of course, pre-Oct 1st) said it was free. We even called on our way to the hotel from the airport to confirm this. The answering service for the hotel didn't even have the correct info, so we were a little miffed to arrive at the hotel 20 minutes later to discover they charge. We gave feedback to the front desk, but there was no attempt made to provide the service for free since it was not communicated correctly.

To my delight, we were upgraded from a full ocean view to an ocean view prime. It was very nice. Amazing bathroom and Loccitane products for those of you who are familiar. The cabanas by the pool and on the beach were lovely.

We got a big kick out of the game room and cut costs by getting maui tacos for lunch and eating them on our balcony.

The food, spa, and drinks are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, but as long as you know that going into it and can let it go, it's no big deal.

The crowd there seemed to be mostly honeymooners or middle-aged family guys with much yonger, surgically enhanced, trophy wives. Not our scene, but that didn't much matter.

As long as you are willing the shell out the cash, it is a lovely resort with great service.

11 Thank wmw
New Hampshire
Reviewed October 21, 2005

I use Trip Advisor all the time and hope this helps others in making their decisions when traveling. Some of this is picky but when you are staying at the hotels of this caliber, there should be standards they should meet.

We went to Maui for our honeymoon and stayed for 1 night at Kapalua Bay Hotel, 2 nights at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua and 4 nights at the Four Seasons in Wailea. In hindsight, we should have stayed longer at the Ritz-Carlton. We stayed at the Four Seasons in their Mountain-view room.

The good aspects:
1) The pool and the views were beautiful. The beach was gorgeous, the water calm and the walkway to the other beaches is extremely convenient.
2) The amnenities were great. Comfortable bed, nice bathrooms and beautiful facilities.
3) The doormen and concierge staff were great and extremely helpful.
4) We were welcomed with Champagne and goodies delivered to our room in celebration of our honeymoon.

The bad:
1) We had the mountain-view room and enjoyed the noises of the streets and a view of the roof of the garage on the lanai. I understand we were not paying for the most expensive room, but it wasn't cheap either. In addition, our toilet was running the first night and was supposedly fixed the next day. To our dismay, our toilet overflowed the following day and did not stop until the entire bathroom floor was flooded and spilled into the hallway. Who wants to deal with this on their honeymoon?? The staff were kind enough to move us to a ground floor room that day (partial ocean view) but did not have the hypoallergenic bedding we requested. We had to call maid service and wait for another half hour for this. The manager did recognize our frustration and sent a note of apology and a box of chocolates. That did very little to diminish our disappointment since we had to spend time packing our stuff up so they could move our things to another room, watch our floor flood in the bathroom and wait for proper bedding. Things do happen, we understand. However, we expected more from managament recognizing this inconvenience. When you have things to do on your honeymoon, the last thing you want to do is spend the time in your room packing your things up again to be moved.
2) The breakfast buffet in the hotel was not very good. After eating other breakfast buffets at the other hotels, we were disappointed at the quality and selection of food plus the fruit flys and birds flying around didn't add much to the ambiance.
3) The staff were nice, pleasant but it never seemed sincere. The service was great at the Ritz and Kapalua Bay Hotel and always seemed sincere. I expected the same at the Four Seasons.
4) The pool always felt crowded, even when it was not full. The cabanas are very close to each other and you feel like you are on top of other people.
If you are looking for seclusion, quiet and a beautiful area, the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua is the better choice. It did rain and it was windy but it was not crowded at the pools or in the hotel. The beaches weren't as nice as the beaches in Wailea and the restaurant selections were not as plentiful, but the quality of the hotels and service in Kapalua won us over. If you are looking more for convenience of location and great beaches then stay at the Four Seasons.
Hope this helps in your planning.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank Fun2Travel13
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed October 21, 2005

We spent all ten nights of our honeymoon at the Four Seasons, Maui. Since it was our first trip to Hawaii, I was concerned that I had been too ambitious in staking our entire honeymoon on this one property. But, I am happy to report, that we could have not been more pleased. Despite friends and family who had extolled the virtues of the Grand Wailea next door, we relied on the TripAdvisor honeymooners who preferred the Four Seasons, and they did not let us down. The Grand Wailea looked more like Disneyworld during Easter season than a restful retreat. The size of the hotel, the loud noise in the pool area (and required colored wristbands, too boot) and the blaring hip hop music of the Grand Wailea were a stark comparison to the leisurely, opulent and relaxed ambience of the Four Seasons. The majestic pool was pleasant and never crowded. The constant parade of poolside services were not to be believed. We delighted in the constant complimentary ice water, fresh fruit, cool towels, evian spray and full cash bar service. The cabanas were heavenly, and always available. We were not charged for cabanas, pool towels, parking or concierge services. We received a complimentary upgrade from a partial ocean view to an ocean view room. I highly recommend the partial ocean view rooms... they are more affordable and not at all disappointing. The game room and spa were equally luxurious. Our couples massage and water ritual was one of the most romantic things we did. The Four seasons complimentary snorkel and outrigger canoe programs were also fantastic. In short, despite my fears that we would be bored or feel trapped, ten nights there was a perfect wonderful visit that I would recommend to everyone. We relied on Maui Revealed for dinner suggestions every night, and had fun exploring the island on the way to dinner each night. Sarento's on the beach was by far our best meal and is very close to the hotel. Spago was very nice and also quite good. Ferraro's service at dinner was disappointing, but lunchtime was breathtakingly beautiful views, good service, nice food and of course, pricey. Dont Miss Warren & Annabel's.. and you need to book that a week or two before you leave, preferably through the concierge. Maholo TripAdvisor.

15 Thank MMMT
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 20, 2005

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea for six nights and had a fabulous vacation. We had a garden view room and enjoyed our patio which was perfect for room service breakfast, quiet reading and drinks before dinner. Our friends had a mountain view room and were equally happy. The rooms are large and have the best bathroom set up I have seen in a resort hotel, very large, lots of counter space. The staff were excellent and anyone we asked for assistance was extremely helpful.
We tried all of the restaurants. Ferraro's is the best for lunch or dinner. Seats by the ocean are first come, first serve but well worth showing up for at 11:30. We had drinks one night later in the lobby bar. The entertainment was pleasant but the service on drinks was very slow. Waited 15 mins to be served even though we asked twice.
Spagos was very disappointing. It is highly overrated and I recommend you do not go there. The service was average and after we sat in the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail and I watched all the plates coming from the kitchen by bare handed servers, it was clear the plates were not hot. When ordering dinner, I specifically requested my plate be "smoking hot" and was advised it would be no problem. Appetizer of lobster risotto was served luke warm on a stone cold plate. Dinner came on the same, so I sent it back. Should not have had to. A restaurant of this calibre should never serve hot food on cold plates. To their credit they gave us our desserts complimentary but overall we were very dissatisfied with the whole experience.
If you want an excellent dinner, go to Capische. It is in the Diamond Resort which is only a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Excellent food, service and view. Plan to arrive just before sunset. All tables are outside and the view is fantastic.
Pool scenario was great. We really liked their system for assigning chairs. When you arrive at the pool you pick your location and it is yours for the day as long as you don't leave it for more than 20 minutes. None of the get up at the crack of dawn and rush down to get towels to save your chairs nonsense. At lunch they hold it for two hours which is very reasonable. Great paved walkway along the beach.
We would all definitely return to this resort.

16 Thank Charyl G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!